Obscure Ship From the Thrawn Trilogy Comic Books

WHOA!

I never expected for the original designer to show up! That extra drawing is fantastic.

Though, I'm now obviously committed to the proportions of the drawings in the pages, I will certainly use this for surface details. That's so great...

I have a question for you, obviously, they went with brown (for most the ships) in the comic book... was that what you had in mind when you first drew it? I haven't quite decided on colors for the model, exactly, but I am leaning towards painting it like the Jawa sandcrawler... but with a few red and grey panels. All very weathered.

Also, I intend to build Nomad City and the freighter that Luke destroys to make his getaway from the Chimaera on page 72 (of the whole trilogy in one volume book). If you have extra resources for either of those things I'd love to see them!

Thanks again for commenting!

--Alex

Last edited:
A great and teaching scratch
Thanks a lot for sharing.

I like a lot the lights idea !!

WHOA!

I never expected for the original designer to show up! That extra drawing is fantastic.

Though, I'm now obviously committed to the proportions of the drawings in the pages, I will certainly use this for surface details. That's so great...

Thanks !
:)

I have a question for you, obviously, they went with brown (for most the ships) in the comic book... was that what you had in mind when you first drew it? I haven't quite decided on colors for the model, exactly, but I am leaning towards painting it like the Jawa sandcrawler... but with a few red and grey panels. All very weathered.
Excellent option for the painting, that's roughly what I had in mind when I designed it ! The Jawa sandcrawler has always been one of my favorite vehicles form the original trilogy. I thought it would be very cool to have a ship bearing this kind of color scheme... but a little more orangish maybe. Here are two little color sketches of the ship I found in my files today.
BTW this ship was originally intended to be the "Wild Kaarde", a pirate ship. Too bad it had already been (badly) designed for a RPG, so Lucasfilm told us to take this already existing ref and draw it in our pages... in the end my pirate ship became an imperial freighter. (anyhow to me even in its pirate form the ship was supposed to have been an imperial tuna ship in an early life)

Also, I intend to build Nomad City and the freighter that Luke destroys to make his getaway from the Chimaera on page 72 (of the whole trilogy in one volume book). If you have extra resources for either of those things I'd love to see them!
I'll dive into my archives to see what I have... but for now I can do much better than sharing these...
I have that very cool and unused yacht that was supposed to be Lando Calrissian's "Lady Luck" ship. Once again I discovered after having submitted this design to Lucasfilm that the ship had already been designed for a RPG... and that design was awful, something that looked like a version of Jabba's barge designed to fly in space ! We had no choice than to draw this thing in our pages.
My version of the "Lady Luck" would have been much better imho. I had designed it as a mix of Ralph McQuarrie's concept Millenium Falcon and a A-wing fighter because I wanted that ship to look elegant and fast...
Hope you'll like it.
That drawing I'm sharing here is the only view I have of it and it has remained unseen until now.

Thanks again for commenting!

--Alex
Thank you for the kind words and this project !
Fred

COLOR IMPERIAL TUNA SHIP.jpg
LADY LUCK.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, Fred, you're really coming through! I appreciate your willingness to share.

I will definitely be using your color scheme for the Freighter. I was hoping for something a bit more than what was in the book, but I couldn't quite figure out what I liked.. but your original colors nail it.

And wow! Thanks for showing us the unseen Lady Luck! What a treat! I really like the ship, but I do have reservations about the front end being quite so A-Wing. I'm looking at your drawing and my mind is flooding with how I'd build it and what parts I might cobble from my greeblies bins.

I kinda love this ship, but I think I'll have to do something to make it look less like an A-Wing. Maybe move the cockpit windows a lot farther forward? Maybe monkey with the lines a bit to bring it away from the fighter....

How did you picture the aft end? A widebar engine like the Falcon or a series of round thrusters, more like, say, the Tantive IV?

Again, thanks a lot.

--Alex

Wow, Fred, you're really coming through! I appreciate your willingness to share.

I will definitely be using your color scheme for the Freighter. I was hoping for something a bit more than what was in the book, but I couldn't quite figure out what I liked.. but your original colors nail it.

Excellent ! Can't wait to see it painted and weathered !!!

And wow! Thanks for showing us the unseen Lady Luck! What a treat! I really like the ship, but I do have reservations about the front end being quite so A-Wing. I'm looking at your drawing and my mind is flooding with how I'd build it and what parts I might cobble from my greeblies bins.

I kinda love this ship, but I think I'll have to do something to make it look less like an A-Wing. Maybe move the cockpit windows a lot farther forward? Maybe monkey with the lines a bit to bring it away from the fighter....

You're very welcome !
About your reserve on the front being too A-wing, well... I loved the A-wings because they looked a little like these classy Formula 1 racers of the late 70's / early 80's or even small roadsters, so taking the front and adding it to a larger ship, a very classy A-class yacht like the ones you can see every summer on Saint-Tropez harbour, seemed like a logical move but if you don't like it then do whatever you want with it...
The idea was to give that ship a Syd Mead vibe adapted to Star Wars, know what I mean ?

How did you picture the aft end? A widebar engine like the Falcon or a series of round thrusters, more like, say, the Tantive IV?

To me it definitely is a widebar engine similar to the Falcon.
Since Lando Calrissian was the former owner of the Falcon, I guess he loved that kind of motorization...
:cool

Again, thanks a lot.

--Alex

And thank you for the kind words to everyone who have commented our latest posts.

Fred

Last edited:
SKIN JOB 66...Fred... you tempt us even more with your translucent layout-style paper, showing us glimpses of the concept drawings underneath ;O)

So many projects to be done...I love it when 'under-referenced' 2D illustrations get translated into appropriately detailed 3D models in the style of there contemporaries!

It reminds me of when I made full size versions of some illustrated helmets in the original 'Tales of the Jedi' comics for my degree course :O)

...great job so far Alex...

Last edited by a moderator:
@SKIN JOB 66...Fred... you tempt us even more with your translucent layout-style paper, showing us glimpses of the concept drawings underneath ;O)

He He, well spotted minifig !

Well, I have designed most of the original elements that first appeared in that first HTTE 6 issue miniseries, I mean ships, characters and environments...
If I have time to do some scanning I'll share them here... Among them is the Space trooper that was later rather freely adapted (they didn't kept the proportions of my original design) as an action figure by Kenner...

Last edited by a moderator:
I detailed the right side. Inspired by Fred's drawing, the shapes are kind of a wacky tumble of parts, which is a direction I probably wouldn't have gone in. But, I really like the result. I chopped up a 1:72 tank of some sort and robbed a '55 Chevy pick-up of tranny parts and some bits from a small Gundam. You can also see some more details on the engines themselves. The detailed drawing has engines that are quite different from what appears in the comic book, but what you see here is some business that I kind of just invented that is inspired quite loosely by the detailed drawing.

Anyhow...

More to come!

--Alex

GREAT WORK Alex, can't wait to see more !!!

Fred
+1!!
We look forward to see the next steps Alex.

Bravo pour cet appareil Fred. D'autres réas sont visibles en ligne ?

EDIT : Excuse-me for it. here is the sentence : Bravo for having designed this craft Fred. Do other drawings exist on line ?

BRAVO Alex, love what you've done on the surface details so far !

Philbouq, from what I know no other refs on the web... but a large format "Art of HTTE" was published in the mi-90's in France by Dark Horse France.
It was a 24 pages booklet in B&W and it featured most of what was designed for this miniseries.

Hope it'll help !
(not sure to still have a copy of that thing in my archives, anyhow they're for the most part boxed)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back