Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

I assume Vader's arms were absorbing the blasts. Since Lucas said that without arms he can't use Force lightning I would guess that other related powers involving projecting/absorbing energy is also out of the question. Absorbing energy from blaster bolts is a Force power that has been in books though.

i always thought the lasers ricocheted off his hand

Because it's totally stupid that Little Orphan Annie built Threepio.
Think about it - would it cost less or be easier to build a blender, or to buy a blender?
Because in the Star Wars universe, droids are appliances.

Um .. . not a prequel fan, but gonna disagree with you on this one. If you have no money to buy a "blender" (because, well, you're a slave and 10 years old to boot) - but you work for a junk dealer and there are free parts to build a blender just lying around, and you have a demonstrated ability to build things from junk, then, yeah, it's way less costly and easier to build the "blender".

M

Good point. It's funny. A friend of mine was complaining about the prequels lately and he said, "how come Vader never recognized threepio?"
Droids are a dime a dozen.

I would argue that Droids are slaves rather than appliances.
Droids are purpose built. My car or refrigerator or even Siri aren't slaves... unless there's something more going on other than an AI in those droids, they're just tools or appliances. They've never demonstrated freewill (even Artoo was still on a mission when he took off from Luke).

Droids are a dime a dozen.

Droids are purpose built. My car or refrigerator or even Siri aren't slaves... unless there's something more going on other than an AI in those droids, they're just tools or appliances. They've never demonstrated freewill (even Artoo was still on a mission when he took off from Luke).
But the Droids do have personality. And they are respected and acknowledged by people.

Even threepio said, "he hasn't been the same since master luke left" about artoo.

That's not quite the same as siri

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

But the Droids do have personality. And they are respected and acknowledged by people.

Even threepio said, "he hasn't been the same since master luke left" about artoo.

That's not quite the same as siri
Who's to say what Siri will be like in 5 years.

Threepio may've said the same about Master Anakin had he not had his memory wiped.

Because it's totally stupid that Little Orphan Annie built Threepio.
Think about it - would it cost less or be easier to build a blender, or to buy a blender?
Because in the Star Wars universe, droids are appliances.
I know you're a prequel fan, so I'll say this as gently as I can...
George Lucas went full retard. Never go full retard...

In reality, the reason is - Vader didn't recognize him because in 1979/80 when they were shooting, the prequels weren't in his mind. Anakin didn't build 3po until 1997/8. It's why a lot of people don't do prequels because you should be 100% beholden to what comes later - and george blew that path away a few times.

In universe, why would he recognize him. We've seen enough protocol droids to know they all look the same. Frankly, unless 3po knew Vader was Anakin and walked up to him and said "hello, you built me, i'm C3P0', i'm not sure how else he'd really know.

In universe, why would he recognize him. We've seen enough protocol droids to know they all look the same. Frankly, unless 3po knew Vader was Anakin and walked up to him and said "hello, you built me, i'm C3P0', i'm not sure how else he'd really know.

"Hi, I'm c3p0 and I like warm hugs!"

"Threepio?"

"You made me....remember that?"

In reality, the reason is - Vader didn't recognize him because in 1979/80 when they were shooting, the prequels weren't in his mind. Anakin didn't build 3po until 1997/8. It's why a lot of people don't do prequels because you should be 100% beholden to what comes later - and george blew that path away a few times.

Geez everyone tries to kill a good nerd debate! :lol ;)

I don't think that even Vader is dumb enough not to notice that his son came forward, destroyed the Death Star, and just happens to use a blue and white R2 unit. Of course if we want to be a further killjoy R2 had black panels in those scenes so maybe he didn't notice. :lol

Geez everyone tries to kill a good nerd debate! [emoji38] ;)

I don't think that even Vader is dumb enough not to notice that his son came forward, destroyed the Death Star, and just happens to use a blue and white R2 unit. Of course if we want to be a further killjoy R2 had black panels in those scenes so maybe he didn't notice. [emoji38]
But Vader never met artoo in the films. Not once.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Well of course Anakin knew R2 well. Older Darth may have seen him out of the corner of his eye during his fight with Kenobi in the original Star Wars, and from several hundred yards back in the DS trench run. Perhaps he may have been aware of him in ESB when Luke was being guided to the carbonite freezing chamber. Of course by then, Darth knew Luke was his son and may very well have been aware of R2 and C3PO's identities as well. He would have his own reasons for not revealing his connection at that time.

I've been on a knights of ren/ acolytes of the beyond kick the past couple of days... I'm still so amazed we haven't gotten any more leaked pictures

Well of course Anakin knew R2 well. Older Darth may have seen him out of the corner of his eye during his fight with Kenobi in the original Star Wars, and from several hundred yards back in the DS trench run. Perhaps he may have been aware of him in ESB when Luke was being guided to the carbonite freezing chamber. Of course by then, Darth knew Luke was his son and may very well have been aware of R2 and C3PO's identities as well. He would have his own reasons for not revealing his connection at that time.

Well, if Vader did figure out that they were the same droids, he probably would have decided that they'd betrayed him too. Just like everyone else in his life, from a certain point of view.

I don't know, I think if Vader did know they were the same droids, he'd avoid them. Lucas has said that it did make sense to hide Luke on Tatooine, because Vader would never go back there. It held too many bad memories and might stir up Anakin inside him, which he thinks he's buried. I would definitely think that C-3PO would do the same thing.

I don't know, I think if Vader did know they were the same droids, he'd avoid them. Lucas has said that it did make sense to hide Luke on Tatooine, because Vader would never go back there. It held too many bad memories and might stir up Anakin inside him, which he thinks he's buried. I would definitely think that C-3PO would do the same thing.
That is a fantastic explanation for hiding luke with uncle Owen.

And the fact is, he thought the kids were dead.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yeah he didn't find the kids because he wasn't even looking. They were dead as far as he was concerned.

I always took it that Vader deflected Han's blaster bolts with the Force. If it had merely been blocked by his mechanical arms, his leather gloves would've surely been scorched or otherwise damaged. Vader is clearly using some sort of hand gesture to choke Motti in ANH and he calls Han's blaster right to his outstretched hand in TESB, so my feeling is that GL's post-PT comment about Vader's mechanical arms is limited to Vader not being able to shoot lightning from his limbs.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back