The Martian (Post-release)

Re: The Martian

colliderfrosty: Loved THE MARTIAN. Going to be a big hit for Fox and Ridley Scott. Great script and performances. Worth seeing in 3D.

ErikDavis: THE MARTIAN (A): Matt Damon is at his best in a wildly entertaining story that's nerdy, riveting, funny & surprisingly emotional #TIFF15

ErikDavis: THE MARTIAN just leaped into my top 3 favorite movies of 2015 so far. So many great things about this one. Little long but worth it #TIFF15

adamchitwood: THE MARTIAN is a lot of fun. Slight and a bit silly, but supremely entertaining. Damon is pitch perfect casting. #TIFF15

DrewAtHitFix: Dear Ridley Scott, More like this, please. Thanks, Drew

misterpatches: THE MARTIAN: They screenwrote the s*** out of that. Faithful to the book, with added bonus of Matt Damon landing every joke. #TIFF15

TIFF_NET: “Drew Goddard described this movie the first time I met him as a love letter to science.” Matt Damon on THE MARTIAN's optimism.

Glad to hear good reviews. I hope it can contribute to changing the slugs pace we are on to Mars.
Hopefully some big politicos kids will start whining at them to change things. They don't listen to anyone else.

Hey, I've just finished up designs for the two other missions from "The Martian": the IRIS and Taiyang Shen. They're both similar to the ARES III patches I'm selling in The Junkyard. So I was wondering if anyone was interested if I had these embroidered as well...

iris_patch_small_wm.jpg taiyang_patch_small_wm.jpg

That's a neat supplemental material! Very clever use of the stills from the set and promo shots, although the suits are too used and beat up to be featured in a "glamour" shot like this.

Kudos to the Fox publicity team on putting this together!

Not reading the whole review for now. I just read the following bit.

THE MARTIAN Review: This Movie Can Save The World | Birth.Movies.Death.

" Ridley Scott's latest is an absolute masterpiece of cinema and science.

There are dreamers and there are doers. In the best case scenario the dreamers inspire the doers, and together they push humanity forward. The most successful example of this is Star Trek; Gene Roddenberry’s vision of a possible future has inspired countless engineers and scientists, who have spent their lives bringing to fruition the science fiction concepts that were born on flimsy plywood sets. If you walk into a NASA engineering facility it’s a good bet that you will discover a space program full of people who found their inspiration in a TV show that boldly went where no one had gone before.

Somewhere in the world a brilliant 12 year old is waiting for inspiration. She doesn’t know it yet, but she’s ready for a fictional vision of the future that will snap her world into focus, that will give her a bigger picture than the school books she’s reading and will set her on a path to changing the world and the destiny of humanity. The Martian is that movie.

The Martian is a movie that can save the world. It’s a movie dedicated to the greatest side of humanity that is so rarely celebrated in film, our can-do problem solving nature. It’s a film that embraces all aspects of human greatness - bravery, compassion, love, curiosity - but it is an unprecedented examination of humanity’s ability to set our minds to a problem and, working together without ego or competition, absolutely triumph over it. It’s a movie that reminds us that all of the problems facing our world are surmountable, and that with the right attitude and the right math and the right dedication we can solve them all, one after another. The Martian isn’t about some namby-pamby feeling of hope, it’s a step-by-step guide to achieving the change for which we hope. "

Well, how well did Ridley Scott do adapting perhaps my favorite sci fi read of last year?
Answer: "You did a mans job Sir!"
A very smart and proper piece of craftmanship it is too. Its easily Ridleys best film for me in years.Not only did he manage to keep the clever problem solving survivalists tension of the novel but he did so without drowning it in the technical science or loosing the pace of the film over the extended timeline of the story ,which is a minor miracle.
And against all my expectations he's also managed to capture the "And always look on the bright side of life" darkish humour of Mark Watney, though to be honest he's helped massively here by Matt Damon who puts in the stirling "solo" performance of his life and I didn't expect that. I thought I'd struggle to see him at all as Watney , particularly with his role in "Interstellar" but the difference between characters caught in the same kind of situation is astonishing. Next to Jason Bourne I think this is best role I've seen him in and its certainly my favorite.
Both he and Ridley have managed to out perform my expectations with this film by a cosmic mile and then some and I thought that would be pretty difficult given how much I liked the novel. Its a clever planetary survival thriller using mostly true science to solve real problems and I'd have bet anything that they would have done something to "glamorise" the, aahem, less sanitary but essentially grubbier elements of the novel but fair credit, they've kept it all and it doesn't half add to the believablity of the tale.
And if you needed any more proof that most of the problems I and others had about "Prometheus" that could be laid at a certain writers door this is most definitely it. Not only did Drew Goddard solve the problem of the Watneys internal monologue in the novel in a very effective and technically modern manner, but he literally captures Mark Watneys voice doing it perfectly and so remains very faithful to the source material.If I were Andy Weir I'd be delighted with the whole film, its his novel on the screen and it looks spectacular. Its the most convincingly huge Martian landscape I've seen yet and Ridley plays this off against Watneys lone figure in a way you cannot really capture in a book, so thats a big plus.
I honestly couldn't find much if anything to fault with the film. Perhaps if they had used some less familiar faces in mission control and the "Hermes" I wouldn't have gone "well thats so and so then" at times,certainly for the amount of screen time they get the quality of the actors was a little under used, unlike say "Apollo 13" but its a minor gripe and it pretty much reflects the balance of the novel anyway.
So against all my expectations I hugely enjoyed "The Martian" and I've already read the book a couple of times. Whilst "Interstellar" disappointed me for all the very same reasons this most definitely did not, and I hope it does really well. It left me feeling hope for many reasons but you'll need to watch it to understand just why. For anyone else going into this, even if you're not interested in the "real" science aspects of the story, its still a compelling done man-against-the- odds survival tale and there's more humanity in the humour and the courage shown here than I've seen in a sci fi film for ages. I'd therefore have had a problem identifying it as a Ridley Scott film if only it wasn't for the designs and beautifully shot visuals which often have a very familar Promethean feel to them ,but unlike that story hes really hit the nail on the head with this adapation for me.
And for that I've got to thank him.
Do the same for the next two Ridley I'll be a VERY happy man.

PS Couple of things to watch for that made me laugh out loud but nobody else. The "staple" reference and the only reason why Sean Bean was cast as a character in this film.

Last edited:
This is hands down the best movie I've seen this year. I'm not a great review writer, but... holycrapwhatagreatmovie!!!11!1 Yeah, I think that summed it up nicely, Ebert eat your heart out. There was a lot of laughter in the right places, just like the book. The characters and acting were perfect. The effects and detail over the top, cinematography, plotting and pacing adapted well. Just fantastic. I'm going to go see it at least three more times.

I did not see 3d. Heard from a couple of people that did that it's not worth it as it's really not that type of movie. So save a couple bucks there. Would love to see in in I-Max non-3d though.

If seeing with younglings: they use the f word twice, and a smattering of sugar-honey-iced-tea. But there are two fun almost swearing sequences. There's also a bit of blood and squeamishness near the beginning. But it's brief, as is the shot of Matt's butt. Not everyone lets their kids see the same stuff, so it's worth mentioning. That said, I'll be taking my 9 y/o daughter.

Awesome, awesome movie. Like Apollo 13, MacGyver, and Gravity all rolled into one.

And stay until the end credits scene to see Winter Soldier, Sue Storm, and Luis from Ant-Man connect it to the next Marvel movie...

...kidding.;) :lol

I don't often get to say this, but that was a damned near perfect adaptation of the book. I loved it on every conceivable level. I very much want to be Commander Lewis when I grow up. :D

I got to see this over the weekend and I loved it, it was every bit as good as I was hoping it would be. I also feel that it's worth mentioning that it's not bad in 3D, would I choose to see it in 3D over 2D, no, but if the only showing or the next showing that's not hours away is in 3D I wouldn't skip it because of that. I went and saw it at a theater with assigned seating and for the showing that I wanted to see there was nothing but the front 2 rows available and it was the last 2D showing of the day, so my wife and I decided we'd just do a later showing in 3D since we were expecting a friend who was already on the way and since he rides a motorcycle he was incommunicado. I was pleasantly surprised to see that more than just the opening credits and some particle effects (snow, ash, dust, etc.) actually looked 3D in it, so seeing it in 3D, while not a must, is not a total waste either.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back