The Martian (Post-release)

Well, don't forget there is the extended edition of the film out in early October, so it will be interesting to see whats been added that got left out or changed, most probably the second part with the journey.

Well, don't forget there is the extended edition of the film out in early October, so it will be interesting to see whats been added that got left out or changed, most probably the second part with the journey.

I had no idea they were putting out an extended cut. *headdesk*

Though, I just did a google-search and came across this article. It sounds like there's at least one scene I expected from the book which is in this longer cut.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/152...ludes-9-new-scenes-heres-what-happens-in-them

Also, I'm so tired of studios double (or triple) dipping like this. I'm to the point where I'm just not going to buy a movie on bluray until it's been out for a year or so just to make sure we don't have this happen.

Last edited:
I did not enjoy this flick. Why is it that all these Nasa movies have to use the same tropes? I'm so tired of the exact same caricatures. These people could have also been in Independence day.

No one had a character arc.

And there has to be SOME other way to establish a scene without typing it across the bottom of the screen!

Though, I just did a google-search and came across this article. It sounds like there's at least one scene I expected from the book which is in this longer cut.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/152...ludes-9-new-scenes-heres-what-happens-in-them

Also, I'm so tired of studios double (or triple) dipping like this. I'm to the point where I'm just not going to buy a movie on bluray until it's been out for a year or so just to make sure we don't have this happen.

Thanks for that Firesprite I will NOT be buying the extended based on those few additions, and the fact that Amazon is offering it for an amazingly over priced £28!!!! (at the moment)

Finally got around to this. Enjoyed it. Similar to a lot of you, won't need to rewatch any time soon, but entertaining.

Found too much exposition at some points, too on the nose and that took me out a bit. Feel good stuff though overall.

I did not enjoy this flick. Why is it that all these Nasa movies have to use the same tropes? I'm so tired of the exact same caricatures. These people could have also been in Independence day.

No one had a character arc.

And there has to be SOME other way to establish a scene without typing it across the bottom of the screen!
Like when they have to act out their plan with office supplies for an audience with a short attention span?

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize much of the story takes place with events on Earth but, with the frequent cutting back and forth between Mars and Earth, you completely lose any sense of isolation or hopelessness. In contrast the film, Moon, takes place entirely from Sam Rockwell's point of view and that film certainly has the feeling of isolation. It should have been much more profound to have been stranded on Mars but it certainly doesn't feel that way.

And, with the story being told from both Earth and Mars, you don't doubt for a second that Matt Damon will get saved eventually. The Castaway, with Tom Hanks, had a greater sense of desperation and peril. The Martian has none of that. It had the thrills of "how is he going to get out of this one?" but you never thought he wouldn't make it.

The Martian is a superb premise brimming with dramatic potential but realized as a good, yet forgettable, by-the-numbers Hollywood suspense movie.

Last edited:

I believe that this is because movies are made so quickly these days that it feels like what we see in the theatre is a collage of scenes they filmed. They don't spend any time in development.

It's like they way they've always made ensemble comedies like anchorman or animal house

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I believe that this is because movies are made so quickly these days that it feels like what we see in the theatre is a collage of scenes they filmed. They don't spend any time in development.

Which literally is pretty much every movie ever made, I've yet to see a full length movie made that was done with one camera, continuously with no cuts and/or edits; just one long take. But I get what you mean though; it's like they wrote a bunch of random scenes and then tried to somehow tie them together into a cohesive story.

Which literally is pretty much every movie ever made, I've yet to see a full length movie made that was done with one camera, continuously with no cuts and/or edits; just one long take. But I get what you mean though; it's like they wrote a bunch of random scenes and then tried to somehow tie them together into a cohesive story.
I feel like it had a heavy hand from the studio that mandated Scott include a checklist of tropes:
- catchy music
- brilliant idea coming from a young, hip, casually unprofessional person who can be a surrogate for the hipster audience - "we need at least one key character for the millennial audience to relate to."
- brilliant scheme explained to the audience with office supplies
- etc...

You guys do remember that this is an adaptation of a book, right?
Yes. And, if all those elements I griped about were faithful translations from the book, then I'd say the book itself is one of those written with the forethought to be adaptable as a screenplay since it's loaded with movie tropes.

Second time around I noticed he had grey hair at the end.

A result of the radiation exposure perhaps?

Quite likely, in my opinion. You see changes in color and texture all the time in chemotherapy patients who have started to have their hair grow back. With the sort of privation he endured toward the end of his stay on Mars, it's very reasonable to assume that Watney experienced hair loss. When it grew back, the various radiations he was exposed to (from the RTG, various cosmic radiations that could have begun seeping through the materials of an environmental suit not intended to be used as often or as long as Watney did his) caused mutation that made it go grey.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back