The Martian (Post-release)

I wonder if the same writer has another great near future space book in mind?
I'm thirsty and this film was a tall glass of water.

A solid MEH from me.

So many things wrong.

Damon CONSTANTLY snacking and stuffing his face really got on my nerves, took up about half the movie maybe?

I wasn't expecting much from ridley after the crap that was prometheus and I got it.

Oh that disco music had me in stitches. Not.

Last edited:
Saw the movie and I was sadly disappointed. Maybe it was because I was so hyped up that nothing would be good enough compared to the book but I don't think that was all of it. I swear it felt like we spent more time on earth than with Watney. MANY of the best parts of the book were cut or so abbreviated they were treated like a non-event. Every "log" scene was nothing but Watney eating and doing minor tasks. I really was hoping for the MacGuyver science the book held. Lastly, The ending change from the book actually made me angry.

I enjoyed it for what it was and I am hoping beyond hope that they release a directors cut.

Finally caught this and frankly thought it was way over-hyped. Some inexplicable spark was missing. Somehow it just had little of the (very poorly written) charm of the book. I dunno, it felt brisk and cold and sterile, if that makes sense? Kinda phoned in. There was no one thing WRONG with it (well, CG breath...) but the whole shebang struck my as obviously plodding from A to B in a very paint by numbers way. Perhaps if I hadn't read the book first...

Also, why was this nominated under best comedy? That's like the time Jethro Tull beat Metallica for best heavy metal performance.

Last edited:
Saw it saturday and I was bored to tears!

I've said it before and I will say it again Ridley has lost his mind! :lol

Finally caught this and frankly thought it was way over-hyped. Some inexplicable spark was missing. Somehow it just had little of the (very poorly written) charm of the book. I dunno, it felt brisk and cold and sterile, if that makes sense? Kinda phoned in. There was no one thing WRONG with it (well, CG breath...) but the whole shebang struck my as obviously plodding from A to B in a very paint by numbers way. Perhaps if I hadn't read the book first...

Also, why was this nominated under best comedy? That's like the time Jethro Tull beat Metallica for best heavy metal performance.

I absolutely agree! It lacked... a spirit, for lack of a better explanation. I usually cry like a baby in movies--even animated movies. This one left be totally unemotionally invested. And I have NOT read the book.

This movie was like a gas which does not undergo chemical reactions under a set of given conditions.

I watched this the other day. I thought it was okay, but probably not something I will watch more than once. So forgive me, for I haven't read the book, but why did they have to totally abandon Mars just because a storm hit? Did I miss some piece of dialogue that explained it? Why didn't they just go in the building Whatney outlived storms in? They acted like the whole planet was about to explode and they had to high-tail it home fast.

I watched this the other day. I thought it was okay, but probably not something I will watch more than once. So forgive me, for I haven't read the book, but why did they have to totally abandon Mars just because a storm hit? Did I miss some piece of dialogue that explained it? Why didn't they just go in the building Whatney outlived storms in? They acted like the whole planet was about to explode and they had to high-tail it home fast.

They had to abort because if they didn't, the storm was going to damage the MAV which would mean they didn't have a way to leave when the actual end of the mission came.

They had to abort because if they didn't, the storm was going to damage the MAV which would mean they didn't have a way to leave when the actual end of the mission came.

More than just damage it, it was at risk of being completely knocked over by the winds and if that happened they'd all have wound up like Mark except with each other for company and even less food. With the next mission being years away there's no way that NASA was going to risk them being stranded, which was why they abandoned Watley when he went MIA on the way to the MAV, they weren't going to risk the entire crew for just one person.

I enjoyed this movie, but I'll admit there were a few times I checked my phone during the film. I know Interstellar and The Martian are two very different movies and themes, but if I had to pick one NASA themed space movie from the past year, I'd definitely pick Interstellar.

I was putting this off for whatever reason, probably unfairly judging Matt Damon, but I sat down and watched it the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've really come to like these psuedo believable projections of the future of space travel/NASA. Everything in it felt like a natural progression of our world's tech.

I was putting this off for whatever reason, probably unfairly judging Matt Damon, but I sat down and watched it the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've really come to like these psuedo believable projections of the future of space travel/NASA. Everything in it felt like a natural progression of our world's tech.

Given NASA just got a budget boost, nearly unheard of for many many years now, I can't help but think that these kinds of films are helping with public awareness and winning more support for the real thing.
I hope we see more like them, near future space exploration in realistic ways has always been a greatly ignored film subject overshadowed by things like Trek and SW which offer the excitement of aliens, light speed and warfare. I'm so grateful they have taken some risks on it and that the public has been receptive. Of course the stories must be good. LOL There have been other efforts in the past that well, sucked.

I liked it, but the fact that the martion atmosphere is that thin, that he would only need that thin sheet over the ship at the end of the film, is also the reason why wind would never blow over the ship at the start of the film.

The other unrealistic part for me was that the whole point of slingshotting around the earth was to build up speed, yet the resupply rocket has no problem docking with them.

I liked it, but the fact that the Martian atmosphere is that thin, that he would only need that thin sheet over the ship at the end of the film, is also the reason why wind would never blow over the ship at the start of the film.

The other unrealistic part for me was that the whole point of slingshotting around the earth was to build up speed, yet the resupply rocket has no problem docking with them.

From what I've read, the Martian atmosphere and the wind storm was the only scientifically inaccurate part of the book and film, everything else was meticulously researched and was scientifically accurate. The author is a certified space nut and he's as close to a rocket scientist that one can get without being an actual rocket scientist and the book was originally written because he had theorized about a Mars mission and not only worked out the math involved but wrote a program to help him work out the details (trajectory, speed, fuel, etc.) to get to Mars and back and, I think, he also used it to calculate the slingshot maneuver as well. He also put up pages or chapters of the book online as he finished writing them and invited people to proof read and critique his work, not only creatively but scientifically as well and by the time it made it into regular publication he had corrected any mistakes that he made, with the obvious exception of the winds but he acknowledges it and kept it in as a deliberate plot device.

Watched this the other day. I had zero expectations and the remote was out of reach so I figured, why not?!

Not bad at all. Held my attention.

Loved the props!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back