The Ultimate Amazing Spider-Man 2 Suit Project

Mystery

Sr Member
Ok, so with all the information and studying all the work people are doing here (Awesome work I might add) I thought I should finally throw out there my plan for the ultimate suit project.

What we have so far,

Tjacks amazingly accurate faceshell and lenses,

KinoKaoru's screen accurate webbing vector files, and outline of how the costume was made.

oracle1982's screen printed blue fabric.

Now, I recently found a local shop here in town, where I'm gonna be bringing these recent very detailed pics from here Hollywood Movie Costumes and Props: Spider-man and Gwen Stacy costumes from The Amazing Spider-man 2 on display... Original film costumes and props on display to them and we'll try to pinpoint the most closest material we can find to the actual screen used red. Thanks to oracle1982's information, I now know that it needs to be a polyester blend for water based inks.

Right, in terms of the webbing itself, I will try to utilise a grey matte underground and with a very fine brush go over the webs with a gloss black to get that shiny effect, I'm still in the process of testing the colours, I'll most likelly need to combine a couple of shades to get the right colour without making it looks overly silver.

In terms of the back and front spider's I'm planning to use modellbaubert's excellent spiders, they just look great on the suits.

Well, that about covers it I guess, for now, I'll update this thread with more info as I go, I'll most likelly start work on this around september to get it ready for halloween.

Till later guys,

Mystery

Thanks man, will be a very long and tedious build, should be fun though :)

I'm gonna go ahead and dump some pics for you all to look at while this thread mostly stays inactive for a while

amazing spiderman 2 film costume.jpg

amazing spider-man 2 mask.jpg

amazing spider-man2 mask.jpg

amazing spiderman 2 costume glove.jpg

amazing spiderman2 costume webshooter.jpg

amazing spiderman 2 costume boots.jpg

amazing spiderman2 costume back.jpg

Just curious are you going to be visiting that fabric shop anytime soon? Or waiting til September for that as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Haha good man, I'm going to be starting mine in September as well so I'm just taking my time deciding which route to take.

I expect a lot of new developments over the next 4 months as everyone tries to get the best suit possible. :p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nicee, yeah definitelly, feel free to develope on the ideas I posted up on here, we can only help each other, which is one of the main reasons I love this forum, so many great people to work with :)

Haha Well because this is a Halloween build for me I'm trying to go for the most cost effective build I can. Not looking to shell out a few hundred for one or two nights.

So far I'm looking to use the pep file from gimpee to make a faceshell, and polymorph plastic for the frames. The lenses I'm thinking of heating up some plastic and forming it against a wooden spoon to get the curve, and I have a friend that works in a vinyl company that can provide me with samples of the reflective tint and the perforated white vinyl for the eyes.

So far I'm hoping to save a few hundred going that method, but still not sure what to do for the suit. My friend is a good seamstress so if good materials can be found in the next 4 months, that's the way I'll be going.

All in all, I'm hoping not to spend very much at all but it would be a lot more work than just buying it all.

ahh fair enough, I'm making this for halloween aswell, but wanna display it after that, so want the best suit possible hahah, besides it's fun^^

right, so we're getting closer, I had time today to go to the shop and take a look at some spandex, so this is what I have so far,

IMG_20140504_181012491[1].jpg

the one on the right looks very close to the material, and the feel of it is incredible, only problem is it's a 2way strech fabric, so not sure if that would be any use to me, I'm gonna go over there again, they are gonna order a couple of fabric swatches and we'll try to compare them

I will be following this with great interest, looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here are some photos I took of the suit. I've taken in several fabric swatches to compare to the suit in-person, but none of them have been appropriate yet.

The fabric is a dark, cool red, bordering on pink in strong light. It's also slightly reflective, like a satin or satin weave fabric. In a couple of the shots I have my own suit fabric near it, which is a deep brick/blood red, so you can see how much cooler the film fabric is, it has no orange undertones, but bear in mine that my phone shows reds as much lighter than they are in person.
R3dbF7W.jpg

Wc7zSzX.jpg

7Eub6Nz.jpg

InLJOyT.jpg

HJGM4ME.jpg

IphMPKk.jpg

YE1Bv0f.jpg

SOoPHb9.jpg

gR8sX1g.jpg

BK0vB3h.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, hopefully we can pinpoint the closest material, it's a very interesting type of red definitelly

Lunaman, thanks for putting up those awesome shots, every little angle helps. I am so gutted I can't go and see this in person :/

- - - Updated - - -

After looking at this up-close, it really seems like puff-painting the brick pattern is the wrong approach for a "screen-accurate" look. I wonder if you could use some sort of metallic fabric pen or paint and draw on pattern or something?

I'm pretty certain that the whole suit is screen printed, the bricks on the blue area are not imposed in to the fabric like the red, but rather sits on top of the blue, I'm not sure how you'd get that effect with just a fabric pen

Thanks guys, hopefully we can pinpoint the closest material, it's a very interesting type of red definitelly

Lunaman, thanks for putting up those awesome shots, every little angle helps. I am so gutted I can't go and see this in person :/

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty certain that the whole suit is screen printed, the bricks on the blue area are not imposed in to the fabric like the red, but rather sits on top of the blue, I'm not sure how you'd get that effect with just a fabric pen

You're welcome, yea, I agree on the screen-printing, there's some wear near the hip where the bricks have split just like a high-density screen print on a stretchy shirt eventually wears down. On the elbows, impossible to photograph, the ink of the red bricks has worn away as well. My best guess is that the red bricks are screen-printed with a standard screen-printing ink with stretch additive, but the blue and the webs were screen printed on with a rubberized material, either urethane, latex, or something similar

Here's a terrible test patch I did of black latex on blue fabric (way too heavy and uneven) to show how the 'reflective' or 'silvery' quality people have been attributing to the bricks and webs are just due to lighting.

seems like latex is the way to go, looks very close to the colour, I wonder how Brad did his blue parts, it looks exactly like the movie suit from what little I can see from the posted pic

seems like latex is the way to go, looks very close to the colour, I wonder how Brad did his blue parts, it looks exactly like the movie suit from what little I can see from the posted pic
Brad screen-printed his brinks for the blue portions, I don't know the specifics, though.

As for the reds, one of the closest I've seen is still the scarlet fabric used in MrBibou's thread, it's from a French supplier.
1393538343-capture-d-ecran-2014-02-27-a-22-58-26.png

I also found an 'Armani Satin' that I found at International Silks & Woolens that was close, but it only has two-way stretch.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome, yea, I agree on the screen-printing, there's some wear near the hip where the bricks have split just like a high-density screen print on a stretchy shirt eventually wears down. On the elbows, impossible to photograph, the ink of the red bricks has worn away as well. My best guess is that the red bricks are screen-printed with a standard screen-printing ink with stretch additive, but the blue and the webs were screen printed on with a rubberized material, either urethane, latex, or something similar

Here's a terrible test patch I did of black latex on blue fabric (way too heavy and uneven) to show how the 'reflective' or 'silvery' quality people have been attributing to the bricks and webs are just due to lighting.
[url]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Lunaman1/20130807_114137_zps41fd1095.jpg[/URL]
[url]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Lunaman1/20130807_103739_zps71b47f96.jpg[/URL]

How many bottle of puff paint 4oz do you think need for all brick pattern on blue arena
And also what color of puff paint do you think it look kinda close to brick pattern on blue arena movie suit

Brad screen-printed his brinks for the blue portions, I don't know the specifics, though.

As for the reds, one of the closest I've seen is still the scarlet fabric used in MrBibou's thread, it's from a French supplier.
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/09/1393538343-capture-d-ecran-2014-02-27-a-22-58-26.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p88Ki1nsvlI

I also found an 'Armani Satin' that I found at International Silks & Woolens that was close, but it only has two-way stretch.

Hmm, that fabric looks more red to me than the actual screen used one, definitelly the closest so far though, would be interesting to see some 3d webs on that fabric, might order a bit and try and compare that too

- - - Updated - - -

These might be worth checking out. (I'm not convinced that the red has to be a cotton blend for the bricks to be properly printed on it)

Cotton blends:
Fuchsia
Burgundy

Nylon blends:
Burgundy Milliskin
Burgundy Moleskin
Dark Red Moleskin

That fuchsia doesn't look bad at all, ok I'll keep that in mind when I go to the shop

- - - Updated - - -

How many bottle of puff paint 4oz do you think need for all brick pattern on blue arena
And also what color of puff paint do you think it look kinda close to brick pattern on blue arena movie suit

I'm thinking of mixing a bit of black with a little bit of white, to get that colour, can't try it out yet though

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back