The Ultimate Amazing Spider-Man 2 Suit Project

Here's a good look on the suit's colours without any cgi or anything on camera,

[video=dailymotion;x1sxmlb]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1sxmlb_emma-stone-andrew-chris-martin-final-kiss-spiderman2-snl-5-3-14_fun?start=2[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

hmm, Mrbibou's material does really look close after watchin that clip

Here's a good look on the suit's colours without any cgi or anything on camera,

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1...-final-kiss-spiderman2-snl-5-3-14_fun?start=2

- - - Updated - - -

hmm, Mrbibou's material does really look close after watchin that clip

Right. Also bear in mind that my phone's camera doesn't register red very well, so don't use my pics for direct color reference, just for examination of details. My phone de-saturates reds unless they are in bright sunlight. MrBibou's material is quite close.

Right. Also bear in mind that my phone's camera doesn't register red very well, so don't use my pics for direct color reference, just for examination of details. My phone de-saturates reds unless they are in bright sunlight. MrBibou's material is quite close.

Cheers Luna, I'll mainly go off with that vid for colour reference then

In the movie it is briefly mentioned the suit could be neoprene, and looking at how it folds in some set pictures, it looks like it definitely isn't simply lycra/spandex and could be a neoprene suit. I could be wrong but I wanted to throw that out there.

In the movie it is briefly mentioned the suit could be neoprene, and looking at how it folds in some set pictures, it looks like it definitely isn't simply lycra/spandex and could be a neoprene suit. I could be wrong but I wanted to throw that out there.
I can say in no uncertain terms that the suit is not neoprene. The scene in the movie was referring to people speculating about the rubberized texture on the suit, and is, I must re-iterate, a scripted scene in a movie.

yeah, was just about to type that, with all the interviews and behind the scenes, we know for sure it's not neoprene

So I watched the movie again and did some research. It turns out that the suit was, in fact, made out of neoprene with screen printed blue/black bricks and hand applied black webbing

Sources dude!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sorry bro. I'm on my phone so I don't have access to links but I was poking around on a few threads such as oracles for example who screen printed his blue bricks plus if you check out the first movie, when he's making his suit he's using a screen printer for a few moments to obviously put something on his suit. In addition, at one point in the new one, when Peter Parker is taking off his suit it turns inside out and there is a clearly visible seam that is very thick like neoprene is. It was also obviously sewn like a wetsuit* with a jagged triangular stitch. Plus there were a couple references by the bystanders in the movie that told about the neoprene.

*Wetsuits are made partly of neoprene also

(Also the brick pattern is too thin and flat to be puff painted as seen in the picture)
6adu8e5u.jpg

Sorry bro. I'm on my phone so I don't have access to links but I was poking around on a few threads such as oracles for example who screen printed his blue bricks plus if you check out the first movie, when he's making his suit he's using a screen printer for a few moments to obviously put something on his suit. In addition, at one point in the new one, when Peter Parker is taking off his suit it turns inside out and there is a clearly visible seam that is very thick like neoprene is. It was also obviously sewn like a wetsuit* with a jagged triangular stitch. Plus there were a couple references by the bystanders in the movie that told about the neoprene.

(Also the brick pattern is too thin and flat to be puff painted as seen in the picture)http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/07/6adu8e5u.jpg

Cool bro can't wait to read these articles.

I don't argue with the screen printing at all its just the neoprene I'm not sure about.

If they say something in a movie doesn't mean it's how it's made in real life, think batman or iron man. Just because they say it's hardened Kevlar or sheets of metal doesn't mean the real life suit is made of those materials. In real life it's rubber and plastic.

Also you mentioned the material looked thick in the scene you saw? But in the picture you provided the way the suit wrinkles under the armpit it doesn't look like very thick material. I could be wrong though but I've never seen neoprene wrinkle like fabric like that.

I'm hoping whatever you found online does say its neoprene cause that would be a really interesting build to see.

Cool bro can't wait to read these articles.

I don't argue with the screen printing at all its just the neoprene I'm not sure about.

If they say something in a movie doesn't mean it's how it's made in real life, think batman or iron man. Just because they say it's hardened Kevlar or sheets of metal doesn't mean the real life suit is made of those materials. In real life it's rubber and plastic.

Also you mentioned the material looked thick in the scene you saw? But in the picture you provided the way the suit wrinkles under the armpit it doesn't look like very thick material. I could be wrong though but I've never seen neoprene wrinkle like fabric like that.

I'm hoping whatever you found online does say its neoprene cause that would be a really interesting build to see.

Well yes. You're definitely right in a way. Of course on the ironman and batman stuff. I am mainly basing my neoprene view off of my wetsuit. I used to be an avid surfer and such and the inside of my wetsuit looks EXACTLY like what I saw in the movie. I'll post a pic of the seams tomorrow but I also think that you're right about the armpits. Neoprene would definitely wrinkle and what I'm thinking at the moment is that the red is neoprene (the part that I saw in the movie) and the blue is a thinner material like spandex or something of that texture. To be honest that sounds pretty realistic based on what I've seen

Well yes. You're definitely right in a way. Of course on the ironman and batman stuff. I am mainly basing my neoprene view off of my wetsuit. I used to be an avid surfer and such and the inside of my wetsuit looks just like what I saw in the movie. I'll post a pic of the seams tomorrow but I also think that you're right about the armpits. Neoprene would definitely wrinkle and what I'm thinking at the moment is that the red is neoprene (the part that I saw in the movie) and the blue is a thinner material like spandex or something of that texture. To be honest that sounds pretty realistic based on what I've seen

You might be onto something actually, for the red material and thinner blue.

(Also the brick pattern is too thin and flat to be puff painted as seen in the picture)http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/07/6adu8e5u.jpg

I don't mean to throw around words like 'nincompoop,' but this post does make me want to type "that 'thick seam' was the zipper that joins the two halves of the costume together, ya nincompoop. ;) "

Look, scripted movie moments, like Peter using a screen printer in the first film or bystanders on the television babbling about neoprene in the second film, are not useful evidence when constructing props or costumes, since they are almost always presenting something different than what was used on set. Made up scenes and dialogue written months before costume construction or rewritten during shooting are not primary sources.

I've spent several hours examining the screen-used suit in-person; it is nowhere near as thick as a wetsuit, and is very clearly a knit fabric, not neoprene rubber. I don't completely doubt the possibility that a polypropylene sports blend using fibers similar to the base material of neoprene could have been used for the suit, but those knits require so much spandex in the blend that they cannot be referred to as neoprene anymore, more like a polyolefin activewear blend. It would be pretty lightweight and colorfast, though very difficult to screenprint onto.

Honestly, I like your enthusiasm, but this line of thinking and 'evidence' is a little ridiculous, as is the conviction with which you are stating it.

Last edited:
I don't mean to throw around words like 'nincompoop,' but that "thick seam" was the zipper that joins the two halves of the costume, ya nincompoop. ;) Scripted movie moments, like Peter using a screen printer in the first film or bystanders on the television babbling about neoprene in the second film are not useful evidence when constructing props or costumes, since they are almost always presenting something different than what was used on set. Made up scenes and dialogue written months before suit construction or rewritten during shooting are not primary sources.

I've spend several hours examining the screen-used suit in-person; it is nowhere near as thick as a wetsuit, and is very clearly a knit fabric, not neoprene rubber. I don't completely doubt the possibility that a polypropylene sports blend using fibers similar to the base material of neoprene could have been used for the suit, but those knits require so much spandex in the blend that they cannot be referred to as neoprene anymore, more like a polyolefin activewear blend. It would be pretty light and colorfast, though very difficult to screenprint onto.

Honestly, I like your enthusiasm, but this line of thinking is a little ridiculous.

Okay. Well yes, I 100% agree with you that something of the complete wetsuit thickness is a little rediculous but I did go back and watch the new movie three times and each time paying very close attention and the fabric that was within did have a triangular seam with two fairly thick pieces of fabric sewn together. Plus, the red fabric is the only fabric that is barely ever seen creased as it's kept tight most likely on purpose. Plus you must pay attention to the brick pattern as it *is* definitely too flat and thin to be any sort of puff paint. In addition to that, forgetting the scene in the first movie with the screen printer. Oracle1982's screen printed fabric looked nearly *identical* to the suit on display at the arclight. Also, you must take into account that there isn't just one suit that they made for the movie, and in the previous movie they made well over two dozen suits for production with some being made for different functions and scenes. Alright, ha, I'm not trying to argue. I'm just stating that all of these are possibilities. Plus neoprene would give a durable feel to the movie while making it useful for production. Just sayin [emoji12]

PS: I really admire your work. Great job

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back