help with New 52 style Martian Manhunter costume.

DrSasquatch

Hello all, I'm looking to do a Martian Manhunter suit for my local comicon this year and I need some help sourcing a good mask to start with. Color is not a huge issue because I plan on airbrushing the whole thing anyway, I just have very little skill when it comes to sculpting. As a base I was planning on using a Rubies Abin Sur mask from the GL movie with a few modifications Dlx Abin Sur Overhead Latex Mask I'm hoping that when all is said and done it will look a bit like a live action movie version of the character. For reference I'm planning on using this wonderful art by nebezial from Deviant Art martian manhunter...i just love that name by nebezial on deviantART

I'm pretty new to the whole costuming thing as well so any tips on how to accomplish my plan would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with JJGarza. The shape is a little off, as well as it being a Rubies mask, which means it won't look anything like that lol.

Are you looking for quality or budget building??

I just have very little skill when it comes to sculpting.

Its just a lot of trial and error but eventually you'll get the hang of it. Also the design your basing this off of is amazing I'm a big fan of nebezials work, But the mask design isn't super complicated, just look up some tutorials for sculpting on YouTube that's what I did when I started. Hope this helps.

I agree with JJGarza. The shape is a little off, as well as it being a Rubies mask, which means it won't look anything like that lol.

Are you looking for quality or budget building??

I'm really looking for quality honestly, my budget isn't huge by any means but I could afford a good mask, if I could find something closer.

Monster Clay is a good medium to sculpt with. The more time you put into it the better it gets.

Honestly you you should look into getting your face lifecasted, then with clay, add the Martian features. Then make prosthetics out of that. That would look best in my opinion, but that also would take a lot of practice.
Maybe try to look around and see if any guys here have anything to sell as well.
I'm excited to see what you do, though, whatever the course you take.

Monster Clay is a good medium to sculpt with. The more time you put into it the better it gets.

Honestly you you should look into getting your face lifecasted, then with clay, add the Martian features. Then make prosthetics out of that. That would look best in my opinion, but that also would take a lot of practice.
Maybe try to look around and see if any guys here have anything to sell as well.
I'm excited to see what you do, though, whatever the course you take.

Thanks! I really hope I do justice to the character, he's one of my favorites and one of the few DC characters that are my size. I'm also considering doing a Swamp Thing costume, that one's a bit further down the road though.

Saw a guy with a green Vo'k from Shattered fx and it looked unreal.
604e76e61479f3bc125fd4b8d0c49c7f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back