From Kenner to ILM - the PDT-8

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
pdt52.jpgpdt59.jpgpdt54.jpgpdt90.jpgpdt53.jpgpdt60.jpgI had an idea and started working on a scratch build to satisfy a "what if", with the goal of slapping it on the contest table at Wonderfest for a good laugh. Buuut, I am so deep into everything else (and prioritizing the Landspeeder pattern), that I know I'll never get this done by the end of May, so there's no harm in keeping it off line now. So - here's the idea and progress so far...

Any one in their 40s remembers playing with those first waves of Star Wars toys, and probably has a soft spot for the MiniRigs that Kenner produced for Empire. I have long admired how Kenner took ILM's delicate and/or elegant miniatures, and translated them into simplified toys. So as a creative exercise, I am taking a Kenner "design" that never existed apart form being a toy, and extrapolating from there, as if it had been "toy-ified" from an ILM filming miniature. My favorite was the dippy PDT-8, which I knew woudl not only be a challenge form-wise, but would also let me go nuts on the detailing!

I started with the toy itself, and laid a ruler to the body, deciding a nice upscale from 1/18th to 1/6th would do the trick. A couple of days later, I had a drawing in Illustrator, which I lasercut in acrylic. Using my powers of "hacking the crap out of spare plastic bits" I finessed the shape. So with the use of Aves, I smoothed 'er out.

I made some engine pods with Plastruct, acrylic, and Aves, smooshing the Aves to get the cowl shapes. I laser cut some discs to match the Plastruct's ID tube dimensions, epoxied it to an old screwdriver bit, added some tape, friction fit it to the inner wall, and bam - instant ghetto lathe against a disc sander! A couple of rounds of putty and primer and they are smooth as silk.

I made a video for the control panels... imagine a Snowspeeder-like control panel, with two larger round screens and one long screen below the two bigger ones. They will all be sourced from an iPod Nano, which will sit directly behind a laser cut fascia. It will look like three screens. Inside the central structure below will sit a speaker and the light board, which will illuminate the engines, front head lights, nav lights... all powered by a single board that Lightbenders made for me that provides 9v power to the leds and two USB bus powered ports for the speaker and iPod. Getting the right configuration to power a Lightening adapter was a feat!

Here's the raw video - I made it from oscilloscope footage, photoshop files, about four engine/turbine source files... lots of little stuff I sampled/picked that sounded "Star Wars" like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xArNp1Q2G_8

Attachments

• pdt1.jpg
    pdt1.jpg
    628.9 KB · Views: 96
  • pdt1a.jpg
    pdt1a.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 115
  • pdt2.jpg
    pdt2.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 91
  • pdt10.jpg
    pdt10.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 95
  • pdt23.jpg
    pdt23.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 91
  • pdt24.jpg
    pdt24.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • pdt25.jpg
    pdt25.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • pdt40.jpg
    pdt40.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • pdt50.jpg
    pdt50.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 79
  • pdt51.jpg
    pdt51.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Yes! Upscaled toy! Love the ghetto lathe. Trying to make this year's Wonderfest my first, so perhaps I'll get to see this in the flesh.

Question: are you using Aves to bond the acrylic or just reinforce the join? I ask because I've yet to find an adhesive I like for non-styrenes; Plastic Weld is all right, but it air-dries in nanoseconds.

I'll bring it but it won't be done!

Glued really well with WeldOn3, reinforced with Aves. I kept picking it up by the sides and snapping joins, lol.

At 1/6 scale you know you can't resist sticking a figure in there just to test it out though.

You could have it work kinda like the Hanger Cart in ANH where the driver leans against a back.butt rest to stabilixe himself.

starwars44024.jpg

I get quite an emotional gut reaction seeing those boxes for the vintage stuff, closest thing to time travel we have.

Fun project!

SWEET!

I still have this one, and the two wheeled vehicle with the blaster canon and the gray two legged vehicle. If you need close up pics of the decals, let me know, mine are still intact after all these decades.

Awesome idea! I can't wait to see it in person. My figures all drove Mini Rigs (or Legos) because my parents couldn't afford the real vehicles.

I hear ya- they were a god send for my family too!

Hey Mike - the TIE armatures are being machined now!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back