Batman : Arkham Knight

I'm getting some Batmobile fatigue right now, and it boggles my mind that they would animate all of these allies for combat/dual play and then NOT HAVE CHALLENGE MAPS with those characters. I like Batman, but I love his allies and I want to play them in challenge maps like AC had. The true dream is for free roam but I highly doubt that will be anywhere other than PC mods. Some elements of this game let me down, and almost fell into that Nolan/Bale "no sidekicks, no fun" style of Batmanning.

The allies are getting their own dedicated DLC in a few months which depending on your level of cynicism is either Rocksteady making up for not using them more in the game or the reason why they weren't used more in the game.

The allies are getting their own dedicated DLC in a few months which depending on your level of cynicism is either Rocksteady making up for not using them more in the game or the reason why they weren't used more in the game.

Either way I will be happy to get them, really trying to curb the cynicism and just be hopeful for some free roam as all of the Bat-kids! I got the game for free with another purchase so I'm okay with possibly shelling out for the season pass/DLC. I would gladly trade dedicated story packs for the ability to just scre around in the open world but we'll see.

I am a little annoyed that you can't glide back to ace chemicals, but I am guessing there are no riddler trophies there.

I already stopped playing the PS4 version, it was a fun few days being batman, but there is more to life than wandering around trying to find Riddler trophies.

I already stopped playing the PS4 version, it was a fun few days being batman, but there is more to life than wandering around trying to find Riddler trophies.

To be fair, that's been true of all three previous games. Ultimately, if the gameplay itself has become stale, it's best to walk away. You could say the same of Assassin's Creed and "I got bored with stabbing people and picking up flags/feathers/whatever."

I'd like to give this game a try at some point, although what I've heard about the Batmobile gives me pause. Also, I'm disappointed that there isn't, apparently, any free-roam as anyone other than Batman (short of using mods). That's a pity, and something I hope they resolve in the Season Pass DLC. At least with Arkham City, you could prowl as Catwoman.

I'd like to give this game a try at some point, although what I've heard about the Batmobile gives me pause. Also, I'm disappointed that there isn't, apparently, any free-roam as anyone other than Batman (short of using mods). That's a pity, and something I hope they resolve in the Season Pass DLC. At least with Arkham City, you could prowl as Catwoman.

Seems like they didn't really look at what fans of the series and Batman fans in general wanted from the game. I know that they have every right to make whatever game they want, and don't owe us anything, but the things that the fans seem want are all pretty simple. Free roam as anyone, challenge maps, interesting boss fights, replayability. And they really didn't succeed on any of those. I'm going to tag this next part to avoid spoiling some villain appearances if people care
There are no real boss fights besides Professor Pyg, and even his is pretty basic and QTE-ish. All the other boss conflicts are tank battles or combat/predator rooms with a QTE to take out the big guy (Penguin, Two-Face etc.)

My brother was watching me play and made the point that the whole game looked like the Riddlers Revenge challenge mode from AC. You go from predator room to combat room to tank battle, and a lot of times there's not much in-between. I can't even remember doing much walking around because the city is so big that you basically have to drive.

Hm. I've played all three previous games, and I really enjoyed them. Asylum was it's own thing, but City and Origins were pretty similar. What I appreciated was that there were a variety of things you could do in the game. You could, of course, go beat up thugs, but you also had riddles to solve, Anarky signs/Riddler pictures to tag, trophies to collect, and side cases to solve that actually involved at least more than just "Continue to beat the snot out of people." Capturing the various major criminals was pretty fun in most cases.

I actually prefer to not have too many boss battles, to be honest. Much of the time, I find boss battles to be poorly designed. In most cases, they're either QTEs or they're essentially the same approach to such fights as boss battles from back in the 1980s Nintendo era. "Oh, you have to hit him with your freeze beam like, 3-5 times depending on difficulty, and then when he's frozen, hit the eyestalk. You should be able to get in 2-4 hits each time. In the second stage, when his armor drops, you have to use your spin attack right before he inhales. Don't forget to hide behind the column on the left of the screen in between his attacks."

It just ends up being a mix of being able to recognize patterns, and hit buttons in the right sequence/timing. I much preferred, for example, the way you take out Deadshot in Arkham Origins (which is similar to how you take out Two Face in Arkham City as Catwoman).

My guess is that the free-roam -- if there is any -- will come with the DLC in the season pass. For some, like what I heard the Harley DLC is, it makes perfect sense to NOT have them free roam. But for others, like Batgirl or Robin or Nightwing, it'd make more sense to free roam.

I do understand the dislike of the "Nintendo" style boss fights (even though Im a fan of their games and formula), my problem is that a lot of the battles in AK feel like the Black Mask challenge map from AC, a bunch of regular thug fighting and then you KO the big guy with a simple takedown. I guess really I just wish the tank battles had taken less of the limelight and we could have interacted with more of the villains in a one on one, personal way. That to me is the root of Batman's relationship with these criminals, he still sees them as human and as saveable, but instead of those stories unfolding we get to shoot more drones. I'm not trying to be a whiner, it just feels like a chore sometimes when you could clearly progress, only for the game to make you find a way to use the Batmobile instead.

When I took down Two Face I didn't even realise I had done it, just got him with an inverted takedown thinking he was a henchman.

Two Face's henchmen should not be harder to defeat than Two Face.

I wouldn't have minded a couple more traditional boss fights, but I'm not lamenting their absence. The Mr. Freeze fight from City is a tough act to follow, and few of the villains in this game are physically threatening enough to warrant a fight that's different from the mooks. What would a Two-Face fight be, dodging bullets? I'm glad it wasn't a repeat of his fight in City, that was annoying. I'll take a cutscene boss that's thematically appropriate over something gimmicky for the sake of having a boss fight like Asylum's Ivy fight.

I'll admit that Deathstroke's fight would have been nice to have in person rather than a tank fight, but what do you really do for that fight after Origins? I went in expecting a repeat of the Arkham Knight fight with the cloudburst, which would likely have resulted in a broken controller if had gone that way.

I think the one that really got to me was the final Arkham Knight fight. All this time he is pushing you to the limit, mocking you about knowing your techniques, how you're slow, and then it's just a series of predator rooms and 3 or so vantage point takedowns. That was anti-climactic for me.

I just started the game yesterday. So far I'm pretty disappointed. I loved the other Arkham games and played them all to 100% completion.

This is game seems to have taken away all the fun stuff and replaced it with Batman Grand Theft Auto. I hate the Batmobile and the fact that you have to use it. Almost all driving parts of video games are awful and this is no exception.

The voice acting sounds like they used Audacity to record the lines. Volumes and inflections come out of nowhere and don't match the required tones and moods.

My biggest gripe though is the lack of the mini games that all the other games had. The fighting combo games where you tried to earn three bat symbols were my favorite parts of the other games.

Not it sure if I'll finish this one or not.

Wait a second. There are NO challenge maps?!

They are rolled into the AR challenges in the main game, (they are accessible from the main menu though) and they just take place within the city on rooftops and such.

I just started the game yesterday. So far I'm pretty disappointed. I loved the other Arkham games and played them all to 100% completion.

This is game seems to have taken away all the fun stuff and replaced it with Batman Grand Theft Auto. I hate the Batmobile and the fact that you have to use it. Almost all driving parts of video games are awful and this is no exception.

The voice acting sounds like they used Audacity to record the lines. Volumes and inflections come out of nowhere and don't match the required tones and moods.

My biggest gripe though is the lack of the mini games that all the other games had. The fighting combo games where you tried to earn three bat symbols were my favorite parts of the other games.

Not it sure if I'll finish this one or not.

I definitely agree with the "fun" being gone. I hate that I can probably count on one hand the number of occasions that I've actually walked somewhere in this game, instead having to get in the Batmobile due to the jumbled skyline and snakey under/overpasses. Also it seems like every building that you'd think to grapnel boost from has some kind of antenna or electrical box on top to crash into ruining your glide. It seems like they also needlessly changed a lot of the controls, possibly to accommodate the Batmobile. We are 4 games into the franchise and people already have the muscle memory for a set of controls that worked very well, so to change the gadget selection as well as Detective Vision was just terrible for me. Oddly another gripe of mine comes from the graphics, they just look a little weird to me and fall into the uncanny valley more than any other game in the series. I would have preferred the more stylized look of the previous games. I don't hate the game, but if the rumors of Warner Brothers making more on their own are true then I'm glad this won't be the final entry. The thing that this game is making me want most is a remaster of the previous games for XB1/PS4, because those are what I would like to be playing.

Last edited:
They are rolled into the AR challenges in the main game, (they are accessible from the main menu though) and they just take place within the city on rooftops and such.

That's kind of how they always were, though. You had to complete certain tasks/levels within the story to unlock the challenge rooms (usually the story version of the challenge room). The thing that Arkham Origins did was to take the predator rooms and NEVER respawn them. In other games, you could end up revisiting the same room more than once and have it full of predator targets. Although, come to think of it, those usually involved a story reason for the room being occupied again. Origins just had fewer predator rooms and its linear predator ranks system (which unlocked the sonic shock batarang) meant you HAD to do them in order, and they could only be done in specific rooms.

I definitely agree with the "fun" being gone. I hate that I can probably count on one hand the number of occasions that I've actually walked somewhere in this game, instead having to get in the Batmobile due to the jumbled skyline and snakey under/overpasses. Also it seems like every building that you'd think to grapnel boost from has some kind of antenna or electrical box on top to crash into ruining your glide. It seems like they also needlessly changed a lot of the controls, possibly to accommodate the Batmobile. We are 4 games into the franchise and people already have the muscle memory for a set of controls that worked very well, so to change the gadget selection as well as Detective Vision was just terrible for me. Oddly another gripe of mine comes from the graphics, they just look a little weird to me and fall into the uncanny valley more than any other game in the series. I would have preferred the more stylized look of the previous games. I don't hate the game, but if the rumors of Warner Brothers making more on their own are true then I'm glad this won't be the final entry. The thing that this game is making me want most is a remaster of the previous games for XB1/PS4, because those are what I would like to be playing.

Wow.

Sounds like I'm really not missing a whole lot right now...

That's kind of how they always were, though. You had to complete certain tasks/levels within the story to unlock the challenge rooms (usually the story version of the challenge room). The thing that Arkham Origins did was to take the predator rooms and NEVER respawn them. In other games, you could end up revisiting the same room more than once and have it full of predator targets. Although, come to think of it, those usually involved a story reason for the room being occupied again. Origins just had fewer predator rooms and its linear predator ranks system (which unlocked the sonic shock batarang) meant you HAD to do them in order, and they could only be done in specific rooms.

Ah gotcha about unlocking the maps, I always charge through the main game first so by the time I went to play them in City I had them all. I guess something about them just feels off for me, and oddly enough AK feels more like the black sheep than Origins at this point. Like I said I'm still hopeful for awesome DLC, and AK does look good (textures, etc.) so it's not a complete waste of time or anything, though I DID get it for free, so that makes it a little easier to swallow.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back