Batman : Arkham Knight

I don't mind the batmobile that much, but yeah they do force you to use too often for my taste. Perhaps if the controls were not so awkward on PS4... I keep engaging the battlemode instead of breaking. Who's idea was that to put the accelerator on the R1 and the break on square ? If you use R1, the reflex is to go L1 for the opposite action, that's common knowledge no ?

I don't mind the batmobile that much, but yeah they do force you to use too often for my taste. Perhaps if the controls were not so awkward on PS4... I keep engaging the battlemode instead of breaking. Who's idea was that to put the accelerator on the R1 and the break on square ? If you use R1, the reflex is to go L1 for the opposite action, that's common knowledge no ?

You can change it to a toggle using R1 in the settings, and it makes L2 into the reverse button, brake stays on Square but L2 does brake your momentum before starting in reverse. Sorry if my button terms are off Im on Xbox, but check out the settings it might help

I hate the controls, half the time I am in a scrap I accidently hit the call batmobile button, and it charges in knocking everyone out, denying me all my hard earned XP for the fight, then when I am in the car I am constantly ejecting instead of going into battle mode.

I have no issues at all with the controlls and quite enjoy riding the batmobile. It was a feature that wasnt really needed for me tho. I would have rather had the option to go to the batcave at any given time :) As for the game itself while not finished due to also playing lotro (still) its fun and like the previous ones, very simple. This is def not a game that wil challenge you as a player.

It's sad people have become so picky. This is the ONLY game ever made that captures what it's like to be batman. No batmobile, then it's not really batman. The combat is heaps better than the previous title, and everything is just more polished. The only negative I found in the game was the batmobile races/battles. They weren't very fun, but other than one story sequence they are pretty much optional. The best thing is this game has more Joker than the last two and that is always a huge plus. This is easily the best game of the year so far for me. Only game I have played in a LONG time to 100% completion. Oh and I agree the bat cave would have been nice, but other than that this is the only arkham/batman game where I felt like batman.

I definitely agree with the "fun" being gone. I hate that I can probably count on one hand the number of occasions that I've actually walked somewhere in this game, instead having to get in the Batmobile due to the jumbled skyline and snakey under/overpasses. Also it seems like every building that you'd think to grapnel boost from has some kind of antenna or electrical box on top to crash into ruining your glide. It seems like they also needlessly changed a lot of the controls, possibly to accommodate the Batmobile. We are 4 games into the franchise and people already have the muscle memory for a set of controls that worked very well, so to change the gadget selection as well as Detective Vision was just terrible for me. Oddly another gripe of mine comes from the graphics, they just look a little weird to me and fall into the uncanny valley more than any other game in the series. I would have preferred the more stylized look of the previous games. I don't hate the game, but if the rumors of Warner Brothers making more on their own are true then I'm glad this won't be the final entry. The thing that this game is making me want most is a remaster of the previous games for XB1/PS4, because those are what I would like to be playing.

This guy is just either bad at the game or doesn't know how to play it. You can glide for hours without having to hit the ground, and very rarely get stuck on anything if you know how to play. Of course you can't walk to many places. Nobody buys open world games, and expects to walk to the objective. Do you buy GTA 5 and complain that you can't walk everywhere quickly? NO. You are overstating the quality of the last games. They were good, but no where near Arkham Knight. They added new game play mechanics that are fun 90% of the time, and improved everything from the previous games. The story most of all, the narrative of the last 2 games was way too twisty. And as for boss battles that is a personal preference. I think the boss battles in the last 2 games were the weak points, and they are the weak points of this game. Boss battles almost never work, the only game I can remember them being fun was the MGS series, and Metroid.

Wow.

Sounds like I'm really not missing a whole lot right now...

To each their own, but don't let anyone sway you from the game. You are missing out on the best of the arkham series IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited myself for being overly argumentative. I really do like the game a lot, most of my gripes are genuinely small and got misconstrued and I probably exaggerated some others, hope to see more from the series in the future.

Last edited:
This guy is just either bad at the game or doesn't know how to play it. You can glide for hours without having to hit the ground, and very rarely get stuck on anything if you know how to play. Of course you can't walk to many places. Nobody buys open world games, and expects to walk to the objective. Do you buy GTA 5 and complain that you can't walk everywhere quickly? NO. You are overstating the quality of the last games. They were good, but no where near Arkham Knight. They added new game play mechanics that are fun 90% of the time, and improved everything from the previous games. The story most of all, the narrative of the last 2 games was way too twisty. And as for boss battles that is a personal preference. I think the boss battles in the last 2 games were the weak points, and they are the weak points of this game. Boss battles almost never work, the only game I can remember them being fun was the MGS series, and Metroid.

To each their own, but don't let anyone sway you from the game. You are missing out on the best of the arkham series IMHO.

Unfortunately, I'm likely to keep missing it for a good long while. My PC video card is below minimum spec (and the PC version is screwed anyway), and I'm not likely to get an XB1 or PS4 any time soon.

Edited myself for being overly argumentative. I really do like the game a lot, most of my gripes are genuinely small and got misconstrued and I probably exaggerated some others, hope to see more from the series in the future.

Sorry if I came of as an *******. When I like a game I put on the gloves to defend it. Glad you enjoyed it, and I too hope they make more.

I enjoyed the game but do agree with some of the complaints. What I also liked was even though Origins wasn't exactly cannon with the Rocksteady games they still pulled and used elements and history from it. The tank took some time to get used to but once I did it was fun, though yeah some of those side quest missions like the mines got very repetitive. Great story and was very happy being surprised and not spoiled by it. Rest will be in spoiler tag.

Even though I do miss the boss battles I honestly didn't notice while playing the game, I was just so into it. I also KO'ed Two-face and didn't realize it, but I would think that is more Batman then the catwoman battle of having to wait for him last. It just wasn't as satisfying realizing he was already down.

The only boss battle I was waiting for and got really disappointed with was Deathstroke. He was talking so much trash I wanted a hand to hand combat fight and the tank battle was not satisfying at all.

Oh and all the Joker commentary was amazing.

I just wanted to come say that the traversal (grappling,gliding) is amazing in this game and I've only realized it after going back to play AA and Origins. Sometimes there's random junk on rooftops that bothers me, but thats negligible, and once you've got the upgraded grapnel boost you can glide an insane distance. Also I'm less frustrated (still a little bit) with the challenge mode at this point. I still want them to give us the original mode with all the different stylized maps and characters, but I was wrong when I claimed it was 100% Batman, even though the Azreal and Nightwing challenges are a bit limited.

In the past, they released DLC packs for different characters that also usually added predator and combat challenges for the character Usually it was something like three combat and three predator each, but you could also play the new character on the original maps. Like, in Origins, you can play as "Vigilante Bruce Wayne" on the regular combat training maps, but you can also play his specific combat scenarios.

In the past, they released DLC packs for different characters that also usually added predator and combat challenges for the character Usually it was something like three combat and three predator each, but you could also play the new character on the original maps. Like, in Origins, you can play as "Vigilante Bruce Wayne" on the regular combat training maps, but you can also play his specific combat scenarios.

I'm hoping this will end up like that too, the combat maps so far are just generic rooftops as opposed to being maps taken from the main game.

I think a lot of people remember the past arkham games as being significantly better than they are. They're great, but I played through all of them again leading up to Arkham Knight, and game play wise they don't even hold a candle to the new combat, grappling, and predator moves. They were fantastic when they came out, but this new and improved combat makes them look a bit dated. It's like when Assassins Creed changed to the more fluid combat system is Assassins Creed 3, it really made the old games hard to go back to because the new combat was so much better.

Anything related to the Batmobile. I've been getting horrible slow downs on end battle animations. Sometime commands stay up on my screen after I've already done them.

Honestly, I love the way they do the bosses. A lot of these villains are just normal people with extreme personalities/personas, so the fact that Batman can swoop in and take out someone like Dent as easily as the henchmen isn't really surprising. I felt like it was more realistic. I also kinda had fun with that one and kept an eye on Two-Face and made sure I took him out last, just for the fun of it. But with villains that have more power (Firefly, Pyg, deathstroke, Man-Bat) you have to take a different approach or jump through a few hoops to get to them. I also love the freedom of the batmobile. You don't HAVE to use it, but if you get the hang of driving it, it feels so much more "batman" haha. Think about it. Batman wouldn't be like, "Oh I gotta get over to this part of Gotham, but its on the other side of the city, so I'll glide instead of using my race car tank." lol It's also kinda fun to just go around and bust up criminals that are driving or rioting. I do really feel like they covered the "Be The Batman" thing that they marketed. I do wish you could free roam as robin or nightwing. But Mark Hamill Joker commenting on everything made up for it. I had to stop everything to listen to what he had to say lol.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back