Stargate Atlantis Dogbone wall light project

andy19422

Sr Member
I've been wanting to do this for a while and I've finally made a start on it. I got a good pic of it printed out to the size I wanted and then drew it up. The original is 58"x 19" which is way to big for a normal sized house, I decided on 24"x7.5" as a good size. I have found a great CNC guy in my area who is excited about working on Stargate props, which is great. I am molding his arm for the Goa'uld ribbon device project that I'm also working on ;) It also turns out is Brother in law also has a collection of original screen used Star Wars props:cool
The light box is machined from 30mm MDF and has three 2mm deep grooves to hold the LED strip. At either end there is a keyhole to fix it to the wall.
ack.com/i/m9xpdnj]
xpdn.jpg
[/URL]
I sealed the MDF then added some filler and sanded smooth ready for molding.
The front is machined from 18mm MDF, but it's just too fluffy so the next one will be made from layers of Acrylic to make it smooth enough for molding. A chamfer will also be added to some edges. The Crystals are cut from 6mm clear Acrylic but I think I will use 5mm next time, and I have also found some clear Acrylic that has a very slight green tint to it that looks good when the light isnt on. I used standard Blue LED strip but I found it too bright, so I covered the LED's with a couple of layers of Baking parchment to soften them. If it is going to replace an existing wall light an inverter could be fitted inside.
I will be putting up an interest thread next week once I get the new front made.

Another brilliantly executed project Andy ! Well done mate, it looks fantastic :D:thumbsup

Now we need a pic of your living room showing the sconce, chevron and this, all lit up :cool

Unfortunately Alan I don't have any of the stuff I make as I always end up selling it:lol As I have the molds I always say that I will make another for myself and never get round to it.

Unfortunately Alan I don't have any of the stuff I make as I always end up selling it:lol As I have the molds I always say that I will make another for myself and never get round to it.

You have no idea just how much I relate to that :lol Took me a few years to get round to (reluctantly) making an Indiana Jones Voodoo Doll for myself :lol

I managed to get the light recut today and now it's got a big brother:D

the small one is 24" and the large is 45" and made up of three layers of MDF and on the small one the top layer is made from 3mm Acrylic. The holes in them are for pegs that will hold everything in position for glueing all the parts together. Tomorrow they will be going back to have the slots cut for the three crystals. For the small one I'm going to try using clear Acrylic with a slight green tint to it. I have had to order 10mm Acrylic for the large one so it wont be finished until next week. Once the slots are cut I will seal and sand smooth ready for molding.

I have now got the mold boxes ready and my silicone has arrived. Just need to do a little more prep work on the parts but hopefully it will be going in rubber tomorrow night.

Here is the first light out of the mold and painted up.

I think it compares well to the original.

At the moment the front is solid resin and weighs about 900g which is to heavy I think. I am going to try making one each from 26LB hard foam and 26LB flexible foam from smooth on and see if they work better.

Last edited:
Cheers mate. I am going to try adding copper powder to the resin so I can buff up the corners. Can't wait to see the big one lit up. How's yours coming?

Cheers mate. I am going to try adding copper powder to the resin so I can buff up the corners. Can't wait to see the big one lit up. How's yours coming?

Yes! Slight cooper will add a good touch.

Mine is coming slow, I am at the primer stage, need to sand it one more time then paint.!

I am having issues cutting crystals tough, my Cnc doesn't have big enough cutting area to cut the acrylic I need. I ve been trying to figure that out...might ve shell out serious change @ the local glass store ..

I like ur color choice it is very close to the real color! Good job on that!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back