Horror movies: discuss away

Re: Horror movies. What's your favorite and why?

In my opinion most films mentioned here are more slash/gross-out or sci-fi than scarey horror......if you want to see what I feel is the perfect horror film then my all time favorite was 1963's "The Haunting" (not to be confused with the 1999 film).......Followed by 1963's "Black Sabbath" and of course "Alien"...some good honorable mentions are Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, 1960's Psycho, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Others and The Sixth Sense.

Last edited:

The Thing - the original because they did so much with so little and you had to use your imagination, which can scare you a heck of a lot more than blood and guts on the screen.

Bravo! I love, love, love this film. One of my absolute favorites. Not just a great horror/SF film but a great film, period. Solid script (ace dialog), directing by Hawkes, and a cast of veteran character actors make it. And it's smart enough to have a touch of romance that doesn't overwhelm the core story. Just about perfect. The first alien invader film and still the best.

The Scream series has always been my favorite. I grew up with Halloween and Friday the 13th but they never really did it for me because it's supernatural. They can't be stopped. I love Scream because it could happen. Just some crazy people in a costume anyone can get. They can be killed and it's a mystery as to who is actually the killer. I love that.

The Scream series has always been my favorite. I grew up with Halloween and Friday the 13th but they never really did it for me because it's supernatural. They can't be stopped. I love Scream because it could happen. Just some crazy people in a costume anyone can get. They can be killed and it's a mystery as to who is actually the killer. I love that.

I always saw Scream's self-reflective irony as a mockery of horror, not true horror. The fact that it was self aware was the point, I get that, just as it was with Cabin in the Woods. But Cabin felt like loving homage, where as Scream just struck me as snarky. "We're too cool to like your stupid slasher flicks" and all that. I guess Craven didn't have much else to do but accept he'd helped turn the genre into a joke and try to reclaim it, but...it just doesn't work for me. Too hip.

When a Stranger Calls and Magic scared the heck out of me when I saw them as a young boy.

The opening of When a Stranger Calls still puts me on edge and always had me worried to either be left alone or with a babysitter.

That damn dummy in Magic and Anthony Hopkins were the things of nightmares for me.

28 Days/Weeks Later - a zombie movie where even exposure to zombie body fluids in a non bite/non scratch variety will turn you. If it can get into your system, you're a zombie in twenty seconds or less (this is especially evident in the sequel, where Robert Carlyle became one from simply kissing his wife, who was a carrier). In addition to this phenomenal rate of infection, the zombies were FAST zombies, and they were extremely violent, just as willing to bite you as beat you into a pulp.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984 and 2010) - There's something terrifying about a dead child killer being able to invade your dreams and kill you in them, making you die in real life (once the sequels started, it became more of a campy horror/comedy and lost some of the scary factor). The 2010 remake (though panned by critics and fans) upped the ante by making Freddy not only a child killer, but a child molester as well, played eerily creepy by Jackie Earle Haley.

The Cabin in the Woods - Say what you want about this horror comedy, it had the guts to deconstruct all the horror tropes and even hinted that every horror movie ever made takes place in the same universe. Bonus points for the ending.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon - Another movie that deconstructs horror tropes, this brilliant documentary-style movie showcases a serial killer as he prepares for his big debut, all under the watchful eyes of a filmmaker and journalist. The last bit of the movie, where it transitions from documentary style to actual filmmaking, is brilliant in its execution.

I thought Freddy was always a child molester and killer, they just never really said that he molested them before killing them.

I thought Freddy was always a child molester and killer, they just never really said that he molested them before killing them.

I think they wanted to do that originally, but they just made him a child killer because, at the time, a child molester was just too creepy to portray on film.

EDIT: I stand corrected:

"Additionally, Craven's original script characterized Freddy as a child molester, which Craven said was the 'worst thing' he could think of. The decision was made to instead make him a child murderer in order to avoid being accused of exploiting the spate of highly publicized child molestation cases in California around the time A Nightmare on Elm Street went into production."

Source

So they brought that aspect back for the remake.

Last edited:

I enjoy the exhibition of practical effects. That's why I can sit through some cheese for the sake of seeing cool effects. It's kind of like when people watch an action movie for explosions and boobs, and guns and exploding gun boobs.

I look at it from a RPF'er perspective. Like "I wonder what kind of paint they used for that." Or "Ooooh that's some good sculpting."

I think they wanted to do that originally, but they just made him a child killer because, at the time, a child molester was just too creepy to portray on film.

EDIT: I stand corrected:

"Additionally, Craven's original script characterized Freddy as a child molester, which Craven said was the 'worst thing' he could think of. The decision was made to instead make him a child murderer in order to avoid being accused of exploiting the spate of highly publicized child molestation cases in California around the time A Nightmare on Elm Street went into production."

Source

So they brought that aspect back for the remake.

I bet if they'd made him a cannibal molester killer it'd have been okay back then lol. Had they kept it in the morons attacking heavy metal would have come after movies too.

For me if you want a scare-you-out-of-yer-pants then it's hard to beat An American werewolf in London that one is gory and freaky all at the same time.

Next I like the 1992 Dracula and the 2010 Wolfman as I think they caught the old style of the Hammer films,and of course I love the original Hammer films too.

I do like Jason and Freddy but at it's heart there films about mad killers stalking and killing horny teenagers....I do think you could pull something off with them but you'd need to redo the whole thing.

And the Asians can do some crap,The Ring and such and the American versions are pretty unsettling.

Rosemary's Baby, without a doubt...it's so subtle and beautifully paced and realistic; that's what makes it so horrifying.
Also agree with Poltergeist, it's still such a haunting movie.

Next I like the 1992 Dracula and the 2010 Wolfman as I think they caught the old style of the Hammer films,and of course I love the original Hammer films too.

Forgive my ignorance but, what are the Hammer films?

Forgive my ignorance but, what are the Hammer films?

Movies made by a British studio called Hammer Films in the 1950s-1970s. Hammer revived a lot of the characters made popular by Universal in the 1930s-'40s. Most of the Hammer films starred Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing either together or apart. Despite often low budgets, the films generally were well written, directed, and acted. Real craft. If you've never seen them, you're in for a real treat.

Hope this helps.

Not really a horror movie, but The Thing with Kurt Russell really gave me the creeps,when I first saw it, not knowing what happens next, from the first dog-mutation it scared the hell out of me.Great effect it had on me.

Black Christmas 1975 , is the first horror movie I can remember which also gave me the creeps.

The last Horror movies that were really enjoyable to watch: The first Jeepers Ceepers movie, the House of a Thousand Corpses, The Devil's Rejects they were more like Dark Comedy to me , especially "Ottis B.Driftwood".Jessica Lange would make a great Ma Firefly.

Not really a horror movie, but The Thing with Kurt Russell really gave me the creeps,when I first saw it, not knowing what happens next, from the first dog-mutation it scared the hell out of me.Great effect it had on me.

Black Christmas 1975 , is the first horror movie I can remember which also gave me the creeps.

The last Horror movies that were really enjoyable to watch: The first Jeepers Ceepers movie, the House of a Thousand Corpses, The Devil's Rejects they were more like Dark Comedy to me , especially "Ottis B.Driftwood".Jessica Lange would make a great Ma Firefly.

The original Thing is absolutely legendary.

I keep hearing about Black Christmas and I really wanna see it. Is it on Netlfix?

Jeepers creepers was the first DVD I saw, it had n impact on me for that reason alone.

I actually saw House of 1000 corpses in theater when I was in high school and I loved it so much I went out and bought it when it came out. I feel like Rob had something going with the old timey feel of that movie, and then apparently lost it and never got it back for the subsequent movies he directed.

Movies made by a British studio called Hammer Films in the 1950s-1970s. Hammer revived a lot of the characters made popular by Universal in the 1930s-'40s. Most of the Hammer films starred Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing either together or apart. Despite often low budgets, the films generally were well written, directed, and acted. Real craft. If you've never seen them, you're in for a real treat.

Hope this helps.

Yes this helps a lot, thank you!
Peter Cushing. You mean Grand Moff Tarkin??? Holy moley, I need to see these movies like, yesterday!

Yes this helps a lot, thank you!
Peter Cushing. You mean Grand Moff Tarkin??? Holy moley, I need to see these movies like, yesterday!

He usually played Dr.Van Helsing too,though there was a couple if I remember right were he was Dr.Frankenstein and some others,go watch! they weren't the biggest budget films but had a great style and,for the day,were pretty gory.

The original House on Haunted hill with Vincent Price, not the scariest but you can't go wrong with his horror movies. Even the really cheesy ones based on Poe's work are fun.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back