Jim Goose's radio from Mad Max - Please help ID

MFP 2020

Sr Member
This is the "radio" from Jim Goose's Kwaka Z1000 from Mad Max. I'm trying to ID it for a friend. I'm convinced it's not even a radio. Maybe an oscilloscope or test set or something I don't have the words for. My Google Fu has turned up nothing.

goose radio.jpg

Here's what I see: "On" under the switch. Two "knobs" which may be for test leads. Big knob numbered 1-11 or 12 probably, with "set" (?) underneath. Smaller knob with what appears to be a waveform icon. Under the knobs, "MW 2672 _____ RADIO." The right side appears to be a graphic display of some sort. Another MW, another icon. The only decipherable text is "60 70 80 100" across the top of the display.

Please help ID this piece and make me a hero. Thanks!

Would this help??
the original radio was a modified clock radio. Have included a picture of the
vintage retail version. All the knobs can be found, two are the same as the one
on the RVS radios and the same style lettraset rub ons are still available.
Still don't know what the modified stuff on the far right is.Goose`s radio.jpg Drop me a pm, there might be one available. Jeff

Sweeeeeet! That is awesome. Thanks!

My guess is that a variation on this model (earlier?) had a different frequency dial (possibly AM only), with the numbers painted on the face, and they covered the dial with speaker grille. Maybe it was a Montgomery Ward-branded model, thus the MW? I'll try to get a clearer screen shot today.

And one more thing: How did you find it?

Last edited:
Since posting originally, I have learned that MW is "medium wave," or what we call AM. So it's an AM clock radio. The original markings on the right side would be the frequencies. Everything else is as I listed in the first post. This pic might be clearer. (Edit: Guess not.) I'll see what else I can dig up.

goose radio 2.jpg

Thank you for your reply, that is really helpful. That has answered one of my questions that the top of the radio is in fact flat.

After searching through hundreds of flip radios on Ebay I found this one;
clock1.jpgclock2.jpg

As you can see the top needs smoothing out.

I wish we could read all the numbers one the front. I wonder what happened to the original bike.

I am locating switch knobs at the moment. I will post more about them as I find them.

Last edited:
Looking at the radio picture again, I had a sudden brainstorm: Obviously they used rub-on letters for the front of the radio. I worked at an office supply store in the 80s and we sold Chartpak lettering, but Letraset was also a major manufacturer of rub-on lettering sheets, primarily in the UK. See where it says "set" under the big knob? Probably taken from the Letraset label at the top of the sheet. And the nicely aligned number "2672"? Probably the catalog number of the sheet. So I looked up "Letraset 2672." Bingo. The tilde and the white line are at the bottom right of the sheet.

s-l1600.jpg

Here are some others: http://www.zeppy.io/discover/gb/letraset-white#! The smaller lettering might be a little harder to figure out.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back