Things you're tired of seeing in movies

probably been mentioned before but skweaking tires on dirtroads. mann that pees me off. and motorbikes with 679 gears to upshift.

I agree, and would like to add that in d*mn near every tv show/movie, no matter how slowly the car starts or stops the tires squeal. I've been driving for 35 years and the only times my tires squealed was when I slammed on the brakes or skidded on a slippery road, It's getting to the point now that when I'm watching several episodes of a show together, I hit mute whenever I see a car on the screen,:angry:D

probably been mentioned before but skweaking tires on dirtroads. mann that pees me off. and motorbikes with 679 gears to upshift.
Blame the foley artists for that, I guess. Same as every door slams in movies and TV (and funny how nobody ever looks up from the sound) and every car squeals while leaving ro going around curves at normal speeds. the sound people are so used to putting those sounds in there, they rarely stop to wonder if the sound even makes sense.
Heck, I heard grinding gear noise on a TV show recently with a vehicle that only comes with an automatic transmission!

How about the fact that thunder and lightning always happen at the same time? I think AOTC is the only movie I have ever seen that actually had a delay between the lightning and then the thunder.........Hey look! The prequels actually did something right!!

EDIT: Okay, I forgot about Poltergeist and there is also a scene in White Water Summer where Sean Astin is counting the seconds between the lightning and the thunder.

Last edited:
Character looks through binoculars/telescope/sight at something. We see the classic "scope" POV shot...and there are sound effects for what we're seeing. What, the lens has a telescopic microphone, too? (and speaker?) THEY'RE A JILLION YARDS AWAY, WE SHOULDN'T HEAR THEM.

Similarly: characters point off screen or at least are looking intently at something we haven't been shown yet. The very next shot better the hell be WHAT THEY SEE. Their POV or close to it. If it's anything else, the viewer is momentarily confused.

Character looks through binoculars/telescope/sight at something. We see the classic "scope" POV shot...and there are sound effects for what we're seeing. What, the lens has a telescopic microphone, too? (and speaker?) THEY'RE A JILLION YARDS AWAY, WE SHOULDN'T HEAR THEM.

Similarly: characters point off screen or at least are looking intently at something we haven't been shown yet. The very next shot better the hell be WHAT THEY SEE. Their POV or close to it. If it's anything else, the viewer is momentarily confused.
Yep, I agree about the zoomed-in sound.
Also, scopes and binoculars making electronic zooming sounds, even though they're purely optical devices.

On the subject of over-used sound fx: There's that one where every metal gate has the same squeak/swing sound. That and swords making the 'tsching' sound every time they're drawn,even when it's from a belt or soft scabbard, ​really annoy me.

There's one door squeak that's used all the time (especially in commercials) that drives me crazy, because it's of a very light door, perhaps a wooden framed screen door, that is vibrating as it's opening, causing the squeak to warble. It's used constantly for big heavy doors that would never squeak that way in a million years.

Man. This reminds me of high school. We were out driving around in a buddy's muscle car in the rain. We were stopped at a stop sign, and someone says, "Squawk the tires!" I replied, "It's too wet to squawk the tires." I get teased to this day, 20 years later, that it's too wet to squawk the tires.

Sure the tires spun like crazy, but they never made a sound. I hang out with idiots. :-/

I think I've posted this before, but the bad guy who can walk into a building, and take down an entire SEAL or SWAT team, with his bare hands, and not even have a scratch? Furious 7's Jason Statham character was a downright comical example of that character that never needs to appear in any movie, ever again.
The only character that showed this to a almost-plausible degree was Leon in "the Professional" and Bruce Willis's character in, "The Jackal" but even then, each were almost inspired by Wille E Coyote.

Man. This reminds me of high school. We were out driving around in a buddy's muscle car in the rain. We were stopped at a stop sign, and someone says, "Squawk the tires!" I replied, "It's too wet to squawk the tires." I get teased to this day, 20 years later, that it's too wet to squawk the tires.

Sure the tires spun like crazy, but they never made a sound. I hang out with idiots. :-/

"Squawk the tires?" In my 50 years on this planet I can't say I've ever heard it called that. Burn out, peel out, scratch off, squeal- I've heard, but never squawk. Not saying it isn't a legitimate name for it--just never heard it before.

I think I've posted this before, but the bad guy who can walk into a building, and take down an entire SEAL or SWAT team, with his bare hands, and not even have a scratch? .

The Arrow show does stuff like this all the time; with the good guys, too. Three guys in the back of a semi firing full auto at the good guys on a motorcycle behind them. Our guys serpentine a little, and they're good to go. Um, no. You're swiss cheese.

Also in the season premiere: new villain pops in unannounced in a sort of board meeting of city leaders. I'm not sure if it was City Hall or what, but it was deep and high up into a well populated building. The guy makes threats of terrorism and murder and mass destruction and just strolls out. Again.... nooooope.

That show is increasingly digging itself so deep in a "just go with it, it's for drama" hole that I really can't suspend disbelief any more.

Yeah the Arrow never really did much for me... couldn't get into it... I like the Flash thou... at least it has a better entertainment value, even if it is over the top. The thing about DC comics that has always bugged me was that they tended to make big jumps in reality... they always go way over the top and make it more... I dunno... cartoony! At least Marvel attempts to keep things more grounded (even if they are using supernatural powers) in more of a realistic fashion.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back