Things you're tired of seeing in movies

How about when people in a movie or on TV sing along with a song on the radio or whatever--they always know all the words.

Typing that sentence brought something else to mind--why is someone "in a movie" yet they are "on TV"?

How about when people in a movie or on TV sing along with a song on the radio or whatever--they always know all the words.
I've done a lot of reasearch into the 1940s over the years and I think it was pretty common for people to jump right into popular songs often. They had sing-alongs at movie theaters back in the day and were especially popular in the UK.
But you have a point for modern times.
Just like everyone knows how to dance well in any dance sequence in a movie. You never see, for example, guys doing the 'stiff knee shuffle' at a prom like most do in real life...

My biggest cinema pet peeves right now are "comedies" that aren't funny - no jokes, just supposed to laugh at the witty repartee or the wacky life situations of our hero.

AND - the spate of unscripted movie dialogue or "found footage" films. The director apparently says, "Okay, here's the situation.....ACTION" and the actors interpret that scene in one take, and PRINT, moving on.

I can't tell you how many movies I have started watching recently and bailed on because it's obvious the dialogue is coming from the actor's head and not from the screenwriter.

Blair Witch was a genius experiment in filmmaking. I need some more storytelling.

Cars racing along the street foot to the floor , and then another press on the pedal( when already their foot is pressed as far as it can go ) and they go faster without dropping a gear..

There is another technique to go faster without changing gears or removing your pedal from the gas... All you need to do to get that sudden surge is to step on the clutch pedal and immediately release it. It's like downshifting without actually downshifting. The car will suddenly speed up. I do that sometimes.

...Blair Witch was a genius experiment in filmmaking...
In terms of filmmaking, it was simply a new approach to making a low-budget movie. The real brilliance was the way they marketed it--put a little information in just the right places on the Internet, let the 'Net surfers "discover" it on their own, and build the "legend" on word-of-mouth.

Unfortunately, their marketing scheme was somewhat undone by two things. The first was a faux-documentary called Curse of the Blair Witch that aired on the Sci-Fi Channel a few weeks before the movie was released in theaters that was supposed to explain the phenomenon that the three main characters in The Blair Witch Project were researching. At the end of this phony documentary was the usual cast list, which proved that all of the allegedly "real" people were in fact fictional characters portrayed by actors. The second was an article that ran in the Los Angeles Times (and, I assume, other major newspapers throughout the country) the Monday before The Blair Witch Project hit the theaters, which explained the marketing plan for the movie in great detail and mentioned in no uncertain terms that the movie was indeed a complete work of fiction. Of course, there were a lot of people who didn't see the faux-documentary or the newspaper article, and who completely bought the premise that the footage in the movie was real; there are still some people out there who think it's all true. In fact, a few people I worked with at the time were, in their words, "freaked out" by the movie until I told them it was fake. :lol

Personally I liked the Blair Witch project, but then again I did see the mockuentary before seeing the movie first so it explained alot of what was going on in the movie and gave a good backstory of what to expect. For the time, that was one of those movies that you either really liked or hated. What I hate thou is the fact that everyone wants to try and copy the success of that movie. Here ya got a movie that took what $50,000 to make and then turned around and grossed $150mil in the box office. That's an awesome acheivement for ANY movie but it won't ever happen again because everyone knows what to expect. Just like Star Wars... it came out at a time when there was nothing else like it, nothing even came close. The only way you could see it was in the theaters which made it even that much more exciting. It came out during a time when camcorders and cell phones weren't around and the only way to know about the movie was from all your friends talking about it to each other and embellishing a little more. I think I saw the original Star Wars at least 100 times in the theater. I camped out in front of the movie theater for 3 weeks to see ESB and remember how it felt to see those words scroll across that huge screen while sitting in the front row looking up with all my friends. We'll never see times like that again. Unless they come out with a whole new medium that cannot be converted to video. The whole 3D medium needs to be taken to the next level for it to work and until we develope holodecks I'm afraid that's how it's gonna be! Sad really. Those of us who grew up in the 70s are the last generation to truly get excited over movies anymore.

Blair Witch was something new, at leas the concept went a direction we'd never seen before. Even if I don't like a movie, if the film maker went someplace knew, they'll usually get thumbs up from me for that reason alone, as most movie making is derivitive as it is.
The irony about Blair Witch is that I'm 75% sure I drove right by the people making the movie, as I was passing right through that town they filmed in, the week they were there (I looked it up after I saw the movie) and I do recall seeing a group of people with some small video cameras.
My biggest cinema pet peeves right now are "comedies" that aren't funny - no jokes, just supposed to laugh at the witty repartee or the wacky life situations of our hero.
I can't stand movies that are supposed to be 'funny' only because a character is going through as much misery as the scrip writer can come up with. After a while, I just feel sorry for the character and it stops being funny really fast once you realize that a character is just there to be dumped on...

I remember being in art school when blair witch came out and someone got a copy on the hard drives at the school and everyone was talking about it because it was unlike anything. Now every movie is a shakycam found footage video. The only thing that set it apart from the ones now is it was the first and they really had very little script, it was mostly vague stuff so the director could torment them lol

Blood, they always seem to use way too little than in real life. And yeah, CGI blood is comical looking.

Another thing that ticks me off is when they show a plane crash aftermath on the ground, you never see hydraulic fluid and fuel spilled all over the place. I was in a chopper crash years ago and that's my one first memory after coming to, was how much of that there was all over the place.
Same with car crashes, you never see radiator fluid or oil coming out them like a bad head wound, and most drivers have seen that at one time or another along the roads...

Last edited:
There was a true story in the news a couple years ago about some guy who jumped from a 43-story window and landed on a car & lived.

Think about that height again: 43 stories. He lived.

IMO it's unrealistic that people get up and walk away without serious injuries.
But a car-cushioned landing could definitely save a person's life from a few stories up.

When people fall from heights it's interesting that everybody screams. I understand that the fading sound communicates distance and that someone falling without sound might be a bit unnerving to watch, but the trope is interesting.

Over-acting physically by stunt performers. The gratuitous waving of the arms, the convulsions of the body, etc.

Remember the Waco standoff, where an FBI agent on the roof got shot on TV? In the real footage, he fell down. That was it. In the FOX TV movie dramatization that came out five minutes later, it was like he was Ben Vereen with all the toe tapping and gyrating.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back