Things you're tired of seeing in movies

How about where the one random character walks up in a situation you know would be handled, and everyone acts like they wouldn't have coped without the one person they never heard of?
Just watched Godzilla over the weekend, this NAVY EOD officer walks right into the Army setting up an ICBM to kill the monsters (and hardly any USAF people around?) and they let him handle everything for them?
What, they didn't think to bring people who knew about the stuff already? I was an Army officer and if some random ******* came up in that situation and tried to join in (in civvies, no less), I'd have pointed him to the door.
And on top of this, I saw a preview for "Interstellar" where NASA comes to get a guy out of the freaking farm field, to go be an astronaut to save the world? Seriously, he had skills that the people who do this for a living at NASA don't know how to do??? in "Armageddon," I sort of understood the, 'we can't do this ourselves' bit as granted, astronauts might not know about how to drill into something like that. But seriously, this whole, "Hey, could some random dude come up and show us how to do this?" bit has gotten OLD...

Aging action stars.

nobody wants to see fifteen over fifty guys trying to convince you that that particular lifestyle leads to longevity.

Seeing Sylvester Stallone at the trigger of a Browning 50 Cal in 2014 doesn't fill me with awe, it fills me with worry that he's gonna pull something and spend the rest of the movie in a neck brace.

Shaky cam

women in outfits and shoes that they couldn't realistically walk across their front lawn in without breaking their ankles, yet are still able to beat up 20 ninjas at the same time without breaking a nail.
Nooooo. I dont' care if it's real or not. I like hot women in hot outfits. I want to see them kick butt in high heels, not tennis shoes. Tennis shoes are not sexy.

Nooooo. I dont' care if it's real or not. I like hot women in hot outfits. I want to see them kick butt in high heels, not tennis shoes. Tennis shoes are not sexy.

A few million years of evolution says, yes, even without having to lift their butts 3 inches, women are quite sexy.

I'm leery of societal conditioning anyway. Like the asians who used fold their toes under to get into half sized shoes, or those absurd pointed bra things that TV stars had to wear in the 50's. Some things we are programmed to like, no matter how many fashion designers tell you not to.

People who don't get affected by weather. The action hero who, in arctic temps, is wearing a wife-beater shirt and jeans and nothing else?
I was watching 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' recently and noticed Harrison Ford walking around a South American jungle in a heavy leather jacket, as well as Karen Allen later standing outside in the snow wearing just light cotton clothing and neither person having problems with being dressed very wrong for either climate...

I think Karen Allen was running on adrenaline- she just survived a wicked gun battle and had to escape a burning building. She'd do ok for a couple of minutes to get her line out. And it's Indiana Jones- the man is cool all day.

Brian

My favorite thing about Indiana Jones is that the same fans who complain about the fridge or treetop scene in Crystal Skull overlook using a raft as a parachute in Temple.

...I was watching 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' recently and noticed Harrison Ford walking around a South American jungle in a heavy leather jacket...
I've seen at least one interview in which Ford semi-jokingly questioned the "wisdom" of Indy wearing a leather jacket in tropical and desert climates. But he's also been quoted as saying, "Give a guy a hat, a leather jacket, and a whip, and there's not a hell of a lot more you have to do," so he understands it's as much about the image as it is about the character.

Aging action stars.

nobody wants to see fifteen over fifty guys trying to convince you that that particular lifestyle leads to longevity.

Seeing Sylvester Stallone at the trigger of a Browning 50 Cal in 2014 doesn't fill me with awe, it fills me with worry that he's gonna pull something and spend the rest of the movie in a neck brace.

Then I just got to recommend a movie for you: Grudge Match starring Stallone, de Niro and Kim Basinger

Definitely not true.

People who don't get affected by weather. The action hero who, in arctic temps, is wearing a wife-beater shirt and jeans and nothing else?
I was watching 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' recently and noticed Harrison Ford walking around a South American jungle in a heavy leather jacket, as well as Karen Allen later standing outside in the snow wearing just light cotton clothing and neither person having problems with being dressed very wrong for either climate...

I have said leather jacket and I have no problem wearing it along with a t-shirt AAAND a hoodie over it in 30ºC / 86ºF. Some people are more heat resistant than others ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually a very LIGHT leather jacket, does that help? ;)
...I have said leather jacket and I have no problem wearing it along with a t-shirt AAAND a hoodie over it in 30ºC / 86ºF. Some people are more heat resistant than others ;)
Yep, the Raiders jacket was made from lambskin which, by comparison to cowhide, is thin and rather light in weight; almost a leather windbreaker.

Yep, the Raiders jacket was made from lambskin which, by comparison to cowhide, is thin and rather light in weight; almost a leather windbreaker.

That I have noticed, it's great against wind. I had to go with Novapelle(because of my height), which is calf skin.

Two words; sparking bullets. Thank God you don't see that quite so much in movies anyone. Bullets DON'T spark when they hit stuff!

Carmina Burana first movement.
Yep, agreed.
Great piece of music, I have a CD of it. But seriously overplayed in movies. I think 'Excalibur' should have been the last time it was used, as that's the last time I ever thought it wasn't overplayed in a film...

Yeah, to me that music IS Excalibur. For decades I went without knowing what that music actually was. I just knew it as that really cool music in Excalibur. Once, about ten years ago, I was half-ass singing it to someone--"Ooo-ooo-ee-oh! Ooo-ooo-ee-oh!" (that kind of stuff) and someone actually recognized it and told me what it really was. But I thought is was called O fortuna?

That tune and the 2001 music (alto sprach zarathrustra--something like that?) are two of the most powerful pieces of music ever written IMHO.

And yeah, both are overused.

...I had to go with Novapelle (because of my height), which is calf skin.
I went with Novapelle as well. Not because of my height, but because I wasn't sure about the durability and longevity of lambskin, and I use my jacket as a jacket, not a costume item. Besides, I like the way Novapelle looks. :D

Speaking of over used pieces of music: Ride of the Valkyries

I went with Novapelle as well. Not because of my height, but because I wasn't sure about the durability and longevity of lambskin, and I use my jacket as a jacket, not a costume item. Besides, I like the way Novapelle looks. :D

Oh I really like the way it looks too, so I'm not unhappy at all, thankfully. :D I wear mine daily. Mostly because it's the best way to age and distress it ;)
Going to order another one with some more modifications. Will propbably start an Indy costume thread next week since my crown jewel is on it's way :D finally

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back