Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Two dimensional thinking. Some o' them movie folk ain't too bright.
Unfortunately, this happens a lot in sci-fi movies in shows, for some reason writers always seem to forget that space is three dimensional and things can and do move in more than just one plane in space. The one I see a lot is the mentioning of some obstacle that's too wide to go around forgetting that that they're not on land or on water and they can go above or below the obstacle, or some combination of above, below, and around.

Unfortunately, this happens a lot in sci-fi movies in shows, for some reason writers always seem to forget that space is three dimensional and things can and do move in more than just one plane in space...
They almost got this right in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan during the blind dogfight in the Mutara Nebula. Spock even comments on Khan's tactics, saying, "He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking," at which point Kirk orders Enterprise to maneuver straight down (from their perspective, that is), taking a position below Reliant. And then, purely for dramatic effect, they screw it up and have Enterprise take a position behind, and at the same attitude as, Reliant. :facepalm

... The one I see a lot is the mentioning of some obstacle that's too wide to go around forgetting that that they're not on land or on water and they can go above or below the obstacle, or some combination of above, below, and around.
Yep, and they could improve this with one simple dialogue alteration by saying the obstacle occupies too much space to go around rather than saying it's too wide.

Seen most recently in London Has Fallen; the heroes are driving to safety and thinking they are in the clear, when BOOM! Side swiped by a Lorry. How would this even be possible? It would require a Jedi-like ability to know exactly where the heroes would be at any particular time, which is impossible allowing for the randomness of a car journey. Also, the acquiring of said large truck and knowing the precise moment to start their journey down a side street to intercept the heroes. Definitely an over used trope.

Seen most recently in London Has Fallen; the heroes are driving to safety and thinking they are in the clear, when BOOM! Side swiped by a Lorry. How would this even be possible? It would require a Jedi-like ability to know exactly where the heroes would be at any particular time, which is impossible allowing for the randomness of a car journey. Also, the acquiring of said large truck and knowing the precise moment to start their journey down a side street to intercept the heroes. Definitely an over used trope.
Happened in Spectre, too. And it was a blind intersection, in a tunnel. How would the driver have any idea how to time the approach?

Happened in Spectre, too. And it was a blind intersection, in a tunnel. How would the driver have any idea how to time the approach?
Or like in Furious 7 where Dom chases Shaw across the city and ends up confronting him in a tunnel - vehicle against vehicle. Suddenly Mr. Nobody (Kurt Russell) and his Ops Team crash the party and Shaw escapes. How did Mr. Nobody and his Ops Team set up there in advance (with guys repelling down)?

CGI blood.

Give me a blood pack and a squib any day.
CGI blood has a long way to go. It can look like a red smoke puff.
Or when it's used to put blood on clothes it looks especially bad when you view it on blu-ray or DVD at home. Color looks off and looks very "digital."

The bechdel test being a factor in every new movie. Also changing the race of characters just to be Politically correct. Some stories might only be about white guys with a damzel in distress. Serve the story not an agenda.

All those movies reek of pretencious yuppies trying to get everyone to love the smell of their farts. The new ghostbusters being a prime example.

Oh please yes! Let's have more straight white dude-bros in films where women are only there to be eye-candy and minorities don't exist! :rolleyes

Whaddya mean we already got hundreds of those? Why is it an 'agenda' just because there are people of different genders/sexualities/cultures than you? You ever consider that maybe, Asian kids, Metrosexual black guys, or lesbian Latinas, etc might wanna see a film about them?

Oh please yes! Let's have more straight white dude-bros in films where women are only there to be eye-candy and minorities don't exist! :rolleyes

Whaddya mean we already got hundreds of those? Why is it an 'agenda' just because there are people of different genders/sexualities/cultures than you? You ever consider that maybe, Asian kids, Metrosexual black guys, or lesbian Latinas, etc might wanna see a film about them?
I whole heartedly agree.

But I will concede that something is amiss with Ghostbusters. It feels as if the entire premise is that there are now women Ghostbusters that's not a good enough reason to remake it. That's not what I call a "twist" on an old idea.

I would love to see women portrayed equally and I have no problem with an entirely women ensemble, but this feels like a token gesture.

That all being said, I love Kristen Wiig and I would love to see her in some new adventure comedy with a female team of badasses

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

In the desert? Make sure to have that hawk cry at least once, just in case anyone is confused about being in the desert. Jungle scenes are similar, just a different bird.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

The bechdel test
I didn't know it had a name until now, but regardless of "agendas", a script that fails the test is simply not well written.

The only episode of Big Bang Theory I've ever watched in its entirety (not a fan) was the one where the guys go to Vasquez Rocks in Trek costumes. They kept cutting back to the apartment, where their girlfriends were all chatting---about the boys. They had nothing else to say, their characters had nothing to do but support the male characters. There was no story or plot in their scenes. It was horrible writing.

I didn't know it had a name until now, but regardless of "agendas", a script that fails the test is simply not well written.

The only episode of Big Bang Theory I've ever watched in its entirety (not a fan) was the one where the guys go to Vasquez Rocks in Trek costumes. They kept cutting back to the apartment, where their girlfriends were all chatting---about the boys. They had nothing else to say, their characters had nothing to do but support the male characters. There was no story or plot in their scenes. It was horrible writing.

lol are sure about that. there are many films that dont even come close to passing the bechdel test that are arguably perfect movies. Most of the movies from the before the 90s fail the bechdel, yet so many good ones.

Rambo,terminator,2001,predator 1 and 2. I could go on. some stories dont even have women in them at all. It doesnt make them not well written. It is a blatent Agenda push half the time especially with the rise of PC culture in the west. Ghost busters is a fresh and perfect example of this. Paul Feig has even started with the whole misogyny card on the haters. Filmakers are afraid to be controversial at a time where they will be demonised for it.

You missed the whole point of the episode then. But, If that is the only episode you've ever watched, well then I could see why you think that way, though. Their plotline was to see if they could get into some of the same things the guys get into, because for the most part, the girls think that the guys' love of comic books, science fiction, and conventions is very childish. Yet, they care very much for these guys, so they decided to check it out. I thought it was hilarious--the girls trying to figure out who could lift Thor's hammer and why.

I love the show!! That is one of my favorite episodes.

You should check out The Precious Fragmentation. They guys find one of the original LOTR ring props and almost go mad trying to decide who get ownership of it. The lure of The One Ring drives them crazy and at one point Sheldon even turns into Gollum (albeit in a dream sequence). Its a riot!!

That context does not change the fact that, at least in this episode, the women had no identities of their own, they were creatures all about the male characters and nothing else.

...Also changing the race of characters just to be Politically correct. Some stories might only be about white guys with a damzel in distress. Serve the story not an agenda...
I don't have a problem with that as long as they're able to stay true to the character. For example, Idris Elba was rumored semi-recently to be on a list of actors to replace Daniel Craig as James Bond when the time comes, and some people lost their minds simply because Elba isn't Caucasian. Yes, James Bond has traditionally been Caucasian, but does that really matter? I'd be more concerned if they cast a Caucasian actor, but decided to make him, say, a bumbling Inspector Clouseau type.

That context does not change the fact that, at least in this episode, the women had no identities of their own, they were creatures all about the male characters and nothing else.
I agree with your point, but forming an opinion of any long-running television series based on watching a single episode is like thinking you know what Star Wars is all about because you watched 30 seconds of a lightsaber duel. The female characters on The Big Bang Theory do indeed have their own identities, but the episode you watched wasn't a good example of that.

In the desert? Make sure to have that hawk cry at least once, just in case anyone is confused about being in the desert. Jungle scenes are similar, just a different bird.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

LOL! I love it!!!! Yeah... that never gets old! :facepalm

I whole heartedly agree.

But I will concede that something is amiss with Ghostbusters. It feels as if the entire premise is that there are now women Ghostbusters that's not a good enough reason to remake it. That's not what I call a "twist" on an old idea.

I would love to see women portrayed equally and I have no problem with an entirely women ensemble, but this feels like a token gesture.

That all being said, I love Kristen Wiig and I would love to see her in some new adventure comedy with a female team of badasses

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I agree with some of this. But it also leads into something I'm tired of seeing (well, hearing) in movies. Forced, needless exposition. The Ghostbusters trailer, for example, is lousy with it. "You're a great engineer!" Don't tell me that. SHOW it to me. It's a *movie*. "You're a brilliant physicist." Again, show me how. Don't *tell* me that she is. "Slime got everywhere... everywhere." Really? We get it. You're a woman. You've got more places for slime to go. It isn't funny. It isn't original. And it treats the audience like morons who can't grasp concepts by watching the movie. Argh.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back