As a kid, what's your favorite gift?

When I was ten I was soooooo happy to get a Six Million Dollar Man and a crapload of accessories and such. Everything else is gone but I still have Steve in the attic somewhere.

Spin Welder sets and an Erector set - made tons of stuff. I loved to build stuff (still do). A few years before that was the Thundershift 500 Hot Wheels race set and SSP smash up derby cars.

144.jpg

erector-set-d.jpg

thundershift_500_front.jpg

HsspSmashUpSetMIB_lg.jpeg

Doug

I don't remember having a favourite toy, I was not a greedy child... (I mean I was not begging on toys really xD)

But I have this memory of a huge puzzle that I loved, because I was spending most of my time with my dad trying to figure out the pieces.
And also a comic book. My mum was buying a gift for my brother and my father was buying a gift for me, and they ended buying the exact same book to my brother and I haha.

TBH there are a few, but standout ones, the year Mom and Dad, gave us an Empire strikes back Xmas. Me and my brother had so many TESB gifts, stockings alone contained all the Mini Rigs, Tauntauns, Wampas, Bounty hunters, and soooo many Hoth figures. Under the tree, Snowspeeders, ATST's and ATAT's, epic surprise that year!

Another killer year, when we both got Tamiya RC cars, i had a Hotshot, while my brother had a Hornet, total shocker as we didn't know a thing, and going back, these things were so expensive, it did lead me on to race Model cars at a National level for many, many years though, so Mom and Dad, did good :)

lee

Difficult to make a real choice!!! I can remember the joy of getting a Chopper bike and the total sense of freedom I got from riding it around the woods and lanes where we lived, dog chasing behind us. Rarely saw a car ,couldn't do that today with all the Chelsea tractors on the road. Also loved my Johnny Seven , kept loosing those white bullets though!!!! That marked the start of my fascination with fire arms until Hungerford when unfortunately my SPAS became illegal to own. Hell I still miss that gun and combat shooting in general but time moves on. Played alot with plastic swords and bows with rubber tipped arrows before graduating years later to the real things. I wonder if we ever really give up our "toys" when we get older.
But I guess my absolute favorite was a 1/24 th Airfix Hurricane that took me absolute ages to build and paint. I had so many kits as a kid but this was just in another league. My generation missed the movie merchandising that existed after Star Wars came out.
My niece got an Iphone yesterday that costs as much a month to have as my bike entirely cost alone all those years ago. She just wandered around the the house absolutely hypnotized by it. I can't help feel kids are missing something of the long enjoyable childhoods we had, but I don't doubt for a minute she loves that damn thing as much as I did that bike or Hurricane.

Last edited:
The only gift I wanted in 1979 was a Milton Bradley Big-Trak.
They were kinda spendy and we had a lot of kids in my family with lower
class middle income, so I never got one...until Ebay went live when I bought
a nearly new one.

The best Xmas of all was 1984 when I got a very large number of
Gi Joe figures and the Skystriker jet. I remember spending the entire day
putting the decals on it. Some of the adults were blown away how awesome
that toy was.

It snowed very heavy that night and I remember all of my out of town
relatives and cousins stayed over that night. That same evening we
were all sledding down a very steep hill just around the corner for hours.

Unforgettable.

I had that too, big styrofoam ship. You had to scoop up the space capsule and land it on the deck, cool stuff.

Oh, me too! SO much fun!

Another fun flying toy:

Attachments

• 14027d1227774309-any-have-you-fly-aircraft-carrier-u-fly-.jpg
    14027d1227774309-any-have-you-fly-aircraft-carrier-u-fly-.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 133
According to my mom when i was really small i liked the boxes more than the toys lol. I got so much great 80s toys it's hard to say. Xmas was always when i got the big ticket items like transformers so i'd say that. GI joe and lego was normally for my birthdays or when i got my tonsils out.

Had this cow boy action figure. loved it.

[image]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3040/2363252774_feb67a8e60_z.jpg?zz=1[/image]

The gift of life on my birthday.

The Magnavox Odyssey 2 was also nice.

Thanks mom and dad for both.

Last edited:
When I was 7 years old the Hot Wheels first came out and I couldn't get enough. I played with them constantly, inside and outside the house.

So many cool toys over the years as a kid, the one that really sticks out is the Galactic Attack Dome playset...no idea who made it though.

galacticattack.jpg

The buildings and dome are long gone but I still have all of the astronauts, missile platforms and vehicles.

G.I. Joe stuff from the late sixties to mid-seventies was just the coolest crap a little boy could ever hope to own. the year I got this was the Christmas of all Christmases for me!

Attachments

• 10037608_6_l.jpg
    10037608_6_l.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 135
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back