Yoda VD lightsaber discussion

Re: Yoda VD lightsaber question

Well....sort of... On the original version Steve had put white double stick foam for grips. Leaving, of course, the paper on the exterior part. I was not at all happy with that so I removed them all and used some leftover rubber grips that Steve had cast to use for his Darth Vader grips. -Ed

Ah, gotcha (hi Ed!) so...does that mean steve had cast flat grips for his DV grips or did those used to be T shaped?

I hope this doesn't step on anyone's toes.

A long time ago I got a casting of the original oil pan from Steve. A few months back I ask for and received his permission to recast it and make it available.

I miss the good old days of not needing a premium membership to post on the JY. I guess I will need to pay up. :darnkids

The beige color piece is the original I got from Steve. The white is one of my castings.

DSC05428-1_zps9spf4rjb.jpg

Hi Scott ... good of you to step up with that oilpan casting and your plans ... before Roy and I would start discussing and replicating the same design ... that saves us a lot of work ... and yours has a direct link to the original which is always a good selling point :) ... Count me in for two when you start casting.

Chaim

A lot of screen-used pieces I see are cast in Yellowish resin. Is this like...a certain kind used for larger projects (like movies)?

Did anyone see American Horror Story this season? Ma Petite?! *sigh* she ends up in one of those glass displays...maybe the freakshow has a few....

oh dear god, this is historic! i want 2 of those oil pans! one to use and one to lock away in the safe!

seriously though, u can count me down for 2

Careful with the interest post here, we don't want to get this thread locked. I have made a JY listing, go there for more details.

Here is a pic of the original style grips Steve sent me. If I remember right these were the same style of grips that he used on the various sabers he offered at the time. He had them machined from aluminum and made castings(resin or rubber, I don't know, sounds like both) to attach to his sabers.

<edited to correct a mis-remembered fact after re-reading one of Ed's posts>

DSC05434_zps03c8ybrk.jpg

Last edited:

Careful with the interest post here, we don't want to get this thread locked. I have made a JY listing, go there for more details.

Here is a pic of the original style grips Steve used on the saber. If I remember right these were the same style of grips that he used on the various sabers he offered at the time. He had them machined from aluminum and made castings to attach to his sabers. For the Yoda he simply cut the resin down. As mentioned earlier in the thread Ed swapped the hard resin out for rubber grips.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t430/silentj1/Yoda/DSC05434_zps03c8ybrk.jpg

Any chance of casting rubber versions of the grips? Is that a thing that can be done?

So!

Where can I get a display like this? Anyone? yeah?

I've had little to no luck.

View attachment 456051

I just recently went to "michaels" craft store to grab something just like that to or my PKE meter on display. I now can't find it anywhere!! I've called around checked the site and nothing... it was perfect for the PKE meter, I should have just grabbed it acouple months ago when I saw it...

if you have a michaels near you it wouldn't hurt to try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just recently went to "michaels" craft store to grab something just like that to or my PKE meter on display. I now can't find it anywhere!! I've called around checked the site and nothing... it was perfect for the PKE meter, I should have just grabbed it acouple months ago when I saw it...

if you have a michaels near you it wouldn't hurt to try

Yeah there are a lot of Bell Jars on Ebay and etsy... but something about he flat top of that...

UNLESS... that is in now way a bell jar and some sort of drink jar upside down... or storage jar....

*edit*

On further look, nah. It looks like a mirror base... and the bump at the top would make it difficult to sit flat the other way around.

Yeah there are a lot of Bell Jars on Ebay and etsy... but something about he flat top of that...

UNLESS... that is in now way a bell jar and some sort of drink jar upside down... or storage jar....

*edit*

On further look, nah. It looks like a mirror base... and the bump at the top would make it difficult to sit flat the other way around.

yes the one at michaels had a bubble top, i liked it because my mother has 2 antiques like that. the one at michaels i believe was plastic and not glass, had a mirror bottom, and i forgot what it was called... it was with the baseball, football and flag frames

Any chance of casting rubber versions of the grips? Is that a thing that can be done?

Ok, I originally didn't want to do grips because I thought the resin grips were inaccurate. After re-reading Ed's post about what he used and thinking about what I remember Steve telling me I now think my resin grips might be about as close to the original as you can get today. I asked Steve for permission to make castings of his grips and he graciously granted it. I also asked if he might still have any of the original rubber grip material laying around and he said that stuff is long gone.

Here is what I am thinking. Smooth-On makes a semi-rigid urethane resin, Smooth-Cast 45D. Has anyone ever used it? I called tech support and asked for some more details. They said the castings would feel about the same as the rubber sole of a shoe. The castings would be paintable but I should be able to tint them black. Most of the properties of the 45D seem roughly the same as other urethane resins I have used.

This will not be a quick turn around. Life is pretty busy right now. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to get in the swing of things with a new mold.

Last edited:

is there anyone out there willing to cast the lambo wheel as well? or even 3d print them? heck if I can get my hands on a original lambo wheel I'll cast them up for the group.

I know there was 2 lambo model kits talked about in this thread, I'm on my phone right now can someone tell me the exact name of the model kit needed for the wheel?

last weekend I went to a antique shop with my mom and one guy had a entire room filled with old models, I'm going to hit that place up again Sunday and see if I can find anything

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back