If they reboot INDIANA JONES, who would you pick to play Indy?

If the movie was good enough, I could probably deal with a recasting of Indy (providing I like the guy playing him). We might as well get used to it--we all know Avengers recasting is somewhere in the near future, and at this point I could deal with a new actor for Indy than I could for Iron Man, Thor or Cap. And I think the reason for that is that these characters/actors have only been with me a relatively short time. I'm not ready to give them up yet. I've been with Indy since the beginning, 30 some odd years now. I think I can let Ford go. As much as I love the guy he is too old to do the character justice anymore. I just don't want The Adventures of Grandpa Jones.

I say do not reboot, just recast and let them be just more adventures of Indiana Jones in that same universe.

If the movie was good enough, I could probably deal with a recasting of Indy (providing I like the guy playing him). We might as well get used to it--we all know Avengers recasting is somewhere in the near future, and at this point I could deal with a new actor for Indy than I could for Iron Man, Thor or Cap. And I think the reason for that is that these characters/actors have only been with me a relatively short time. I'm not ready to give them up yet. I've been with Indy since the beginning, 30 some odd years now. I think I can let Ford go. As much as I love the guy he is too old to do the character justice anymore. I just don't want The Adventures of Grandpa Jones.

I say do not reboot, just recast and let them be just more adventures of Indiana Jones in that same universe.

To be clear, I actually do agree with this, from a practical standpoint. I know Disney's gonna make more. I'm ok with it. I still would prefer to just let Indy go and see new stories about different people (I'm loving the idea of a squad of OSS Paranormal Division soldiers fighting Nazi Cthulhu cultists or other occult loonies during WWII), but...yeah, that's not gonna happen.

I definitely agree that Ford's too old. In my opinion, that means they should let the franchise go...but I recognize my opinion doesn't really count since I'm not even a shareholder (and even if I was, I'd be, like, a 0.0000000000002% shareholder, probably). I'm just saying, I think the world would be a perfectly fine -- maybe better -- place without new Indy in it. Although I recognize that there will be new Indy, and I hope it's done well.

I'll say that I agree with Bryan on Disney's track record as a corporate overlord of existing IPs. They've proven to me with Marvel that they know how to not only stay out of the way, but also encourage ambitious planning and design in a way that lets the people who really know and love the IP develop it effectively. I guess now the only question is: does LucasFilm have those people within it, and will they be effective in their development efforts? In other words, do they have the "Marvel touch"?

How about we have Indy join the Avengers?

Let's say he got cryo-frozen in 1938 after his "last Crusade" encounter and then Nick Fury thaws him out in the present. KOTCS could be retconned out of existence without too much ruckus . . . but that also screws with the Young Indy chronicles . . . so, umm . . . let's say he just gets put back to his own correct timeframe later. Somehow. We have top men working on the problem right now.

His powers include:

-- ability to forget all respect for the supernatural that he learned in his last adventure.

-- ability to lose a GF after each adventure

-- his hat always stays on his head or within reach

-- his whip can change length to fit the situation

-- ability to breathe underwater while clinging to the periscope of a submarine indefinitely

-- ability to fall from great heights & survive by landing on a raft, tarp, inside a fridge, etc

Saw a different article this morning and it said that it was going to be a reboot. I really hope not. I totally agree with the article. If you don't want to go with ford for whatever reason, just pick a new actor and move forward as it is - as George said, sort the American james bond. Not starting from scratch.

cboath, I think they only mean what you're describing. Technically, you could call Daniel Craig's bond a reboot of the property, but despite the new actor and aesthetic audiences tend to accept successive Bonds as entries in the same franchise. It's hard to think of another series that takes that position, but Indiana Jones might join that club if they don't stray too far from its roots. James Bond was a slow evolution.

Saw a different article this morning and it said that it was going to be a reboot. I really hope not. I totally agree with the article. If you don't want to go with ford for whatever reason, just pick a new actor and move forward as it is - as George said, sort the American james bond. Not starting from scratch.

"Go forward" in what sense? As in, go forward in time? So, find another actor who can play 60-ish and set the film in the 1960s? Or do you mean...recast the role and stick him back in the 1930s/1940s?

I think you could recast the role, stick the character in that time period, and still not override the previous films. In effect, this would be a "reboot" that maintains the existing continuity by not directly contradicting it.

Personally, I've always liked the idea of Indy being involved in WWII with the OSS in some "Paranormal Archaeological Division" or something. Like, the Monuments Men, but with archaeology, and with an undercurrent of fighting Hitler's attempts to use occult forces to win the war. Either that, or send him back to the jungles, just doing basic tomb raiding, without the supernatural aspect. Or leave the supernatural parts kind of ambiguous.

Indy was basically episodic. The existing stuff only has a timeline because of Ford's aging and the Nazi era being short & specific. Those are practicality/continuity issues, not thematic stuff deep in the heart of it. If it wasn't for those issues then every movie in the franchise could have started with "sometime between 1930-1945 . . . "

I would love for a younger actor to pick up the series but for just the first one somehow include Ford - perhaps like they did with the original broadcasts of Young Indiana Jones, with eyepatch Indy telling a story. Something to definitively say "we're continuing with new talent but it's the same guy, the same story, and Ford's Indiana Jones will always be Indiana Jones in the film universe going forward as much as any that come after."

I'd like to see Ford take one more kick at the can to make up for how awful the last one was. Leave on a high note (like he SHOULD have with Last Crusade). Drop Mutt, drop Marion, and go on one last adventure. I think Harrison still has the ability to pull it off. I'd hate for Harrison's Indy to go out with a ****ing wedding scene...

Then after that go the Young Indy route and show adventures in the 20's and 30's with a new actor who can make it his own.

Just get back to the Raiders roots, the double life bad ass anti hero operating just out of the shadows and sometimes in.
Tall order, tall order.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/indiana-jones-5/37494/indiana-jones-5-recasting-indy-ruled-out

“We’re not doing the Bond thing where we’re going to call somebody else Indiana Jones,” says producer Frank Marshall…

Ok...?

I'm not sure what that means, then. Unless it's Indiana Jones during WWII or a flat-out reboot, or they basically hand the baton to a modern or 1970s era character or something...it doesn't really make sense.

My guess is this: It's true that they won't "call someone else Indiana Jones" in the sense of "This is Henry Jones, Jr., the same one who beat up Nazis and Thugees. Looks different, but it's the same guy." Instead, it'll be, like, Henry Jones, IV or Jack Jones or whatever, and he'll call himself "Indiana." There'll be a hand-off film of Ford turning over the Fedora, whip, and title at the end and saynig something like "It's your turn now...Indiana." And for the entire film, the new guy won't go by Indiana. It'll be "Jack Jones" or whatever. Hell, maybe the guy will just have the same "Jones" last name, but otherwise be unrelated and that becomes a running gag as they introduce themselves and say "No relation" simultaneously or something. That seems like the kind of gag they'd stick into the film series these days (for good or ill).

Anyway, I expect there to be more films. I expect the fedora and whip to continue as part of the iconography. I don't expect or want Henry Jones, Jr. doing more adventures at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back