SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

Falcon63_MasterAssembly.324a.jpg

I updated our master model (both the 3D version and the PDF drawing) to version 1.1 - the main change being the forward cutout on the domes. It is doglegged; with the inner segment being radial and the outer segment being perpendicular to the mandible side wall. This last bit is 26.75" from the mandible nose and locates the Wankel transmission back edge.

https://grabcad.com/library/millennium-falcon-master-model-anh-version-1

Cheers,
J.

I updated our master model (both the 3D version and the PDF drawing) to version 1.1 - the main change being the forward cutout on the domes. It is doglegged; with the inner segment being radial and the outer segment being perpendicular to the mandible side wall. This last bit is 26.75" from the mandible nose and locates the Wankel transmission back edge.

https://grabcad.com/library/millennium-falcon-master-model-anh-version-1

Cheers,
J.

Awesome I needed that, ;) Thanks so much Man ! Cheers,

Joe

Love the new cutouts maruska! Were there other changes in version 1.1?

btw, I ran into this image the other day and thought it might be useful to some people here as well...

1503420_659055204206701_6068529056269985401_n(1).jpg

imurme

Oh Nice ! Thanks Imurme, This will definitely help with those bottom bays. Pics of the bottom of the ANH version are rare as hens teeth, Cheers,

Joe

Is that the 5-footer underside? --- what a fantastic shot, Imurme, I've never seen this before! Beautiful cannons and maintenance openings. The toe-in angle doesn't seem too pronounced - maybe the camera angle?

Yup, the 5-footer. The 32" always had the extra forward landing gear 'boxes'.

Irurme, what is the source, please? The file name looks like a Flicker notation (btw, if you replace the "n" at the end with an "o" sometimes you can get an original sized image...little Flickr 'hack')
Regards, Robert

Yup, the 5-footer. The 32" always had the extra forward landing gear 'boxes'.

Irurme, what is the source, please? The file name looks like a Flicker notation (btw, if you replace the "n" at the end with an "o" sometimes you can get an original sized image...little Flickr 'hack')
Regards, Robert

I found that image while looking thru a Facebook page (SciFi2000)...there were a few more there:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.779750862072499&type=1

Joberg, Adolfo and Rob, thank you very much for the kind words!

and Joshua, thank you for the updated model – it looks great!

Regards,

André

Just FYI, I know I've promised a couple of kit parts in Blender, but I've been buried in moving and other RL madness for a few months now. Once I come up for air, lots of things will get back on track, including the parts, my phaser project, etc. But it's wonderful being able to check in here now and again and see the progress. Absolutely amazing job, everyone!

Looks like the 5-footer, with the 'Allied Movers #1' decal on the cockpit top. Any info on what it is exactly? Perhaps a rendering from Ep. VII?
R/ Robert

Thanks man. 1/4 plexi has got to be heavy. If I ever tried to tackle this beasty, I'd probably go with fiberglass. Much easier for me than trying to heat a huge piece of plexi and form it. Probably lighter too. The only issue I forsee is gluing the plastic plating to the fiberglass. CA will do it. But can be a pain. Oh well, I'm building an SS Galactica, so will probably never get to the Falcon, :( Cheers,

Joe

Check out this video by Paul Budzik. He uses a dental acrylic called 'Pink Free Flow' and mixes it with Zap-a-Gap to create a putty much in the same vain as the filler created using superglue & baking soda. More so, it appears to be superior in some respects and may be a way to join dissimilar materials. Given the craftsmanship of Budzik's models, I don't have any reason to dispute it.
However, I'd give superglue & baking soda first go. Given it's cost and availability, it's at least worth a test, yes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaXWFM6zbLc

Problem with baking soda is it degrades over time... "micro balloons" (commonly available where RC supplies are sold) is a better matrix material for CA.

Regards, Robert

Check out this video by Paul Budzik. He uses a dental acrylic called 'Pink Free Flow' and mixes it with Zap-a-Gap to create a putty much in the same vain as the filler created using superglue & baking soda. More so, it appears to be superior in some respects and may be a way to join dissimilar materials. Given the craftsmanship of Budzik's models, I don't have any reason to dispute it.
However, I'd give superglue & baking soda first go. Given it's cost and availability, it's at least worth a test, yes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaXWFM6zbLc

Cyber, yep I've used the Ca Soda trick for filling and like Robert mentioned below the Micro Balloons. What I was speaking of before was gluing the styrene plates to the fiberglass hull. I did a test a while back with just thin CA. It bonded pretty good, it was just a bear to get it placed properly before it grabbed. Once that stuff goes off , it is where it is, LOL. The good thing was, I tried to peel the piece off to see how strong it would hold, and I couldn't get it off. Guess I'll use the slow stuff, so I have a little more time to line the plates up. Thanks for the info guys, Cheers,

Joe

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back