The Winter Soldier - Costume Research Thread

The problem is that the initial size seems to be small for some people and therefore cutting down to size does not work for people who have larger arms. The model in the photos wearing the arm does look very big at all.

I'm seriously considering a Winter Solder cosplay, so when I found this thread I went "OH MY GOSH THIS IS THE BEST THING" and joined the forum...

Some people are wondering about the jacket/vest thing--would anyone be interested if I tried drafting a pattern for it? I'm 5'5" and female, so measurements will need to be adjusted even though I'll be wearing a binder. If I do draft the pattern, it will a) take a while (potentially a few months) and b) be a sewing pattern with few instructions; my sewing skills are not good enough for commissions.

Not a very good deal, I know... Thoughts?

This is what I did:
I chose an “Eisenhower” style jacket that I had that fit me tightly. Eisenhower jackets are the style of military jacket that Eisenhower wore in England in WWII. Tankers in WWII wore similar jackets, Other armies have used them also. Mine was a modern German army surplus. You could also use a long sleeved T shirt that fits you well
I tore the garment apart at the seams and used the parts to make a canvas WS tunic as in the pics. I made adjustments to the canvas prototype and decided where I wanted the stitching and the order of construction. Then I tore the canvas prototype apart and used it as a pattern to make a leather replica as in the pics. I used deerskin because it’s thin and easily sewn on my Janome HD1000 until you get to 4 or more layers than I hand stitched those areas.
I’m not quite done. Have to finish the collar area but I’m currently working on the right sleeve.
Hope this helps.

2014_0519ella0016.JPG2014_0519ella0008.JPG
2014_0519ella0017.JPG

Some people are wondering about the jacket/vest thing--would anyone be interested if I tried drafting a pattern for it? I'm 5'5" and female, so measurements will need to be adjusted even though I'll be wearing a binder. If I do draft the pattern, it will a) take a while (potentially a few months)

About how long would it take you to draft a pattern? Because I'm looking at trying to have this cosplay done by DragonCon (Labor Day weekend).

I ordered one of the eBay rubber Winter Soldier masks, and it looks fantastic when it's not on my head, but when it is it's several inches both too long and too wide, no matter how much tightening of the straps I do. Yeesh, I knew I was going to be smaller than the average person wearing it, but I didn't realize I was that little.

Does anyone know of a tutorial for the mask? I've seen guides for the arm, but not for the mask.

I ordered one of the eBay rubber Winter Soldier masks, and it looks fantastic when it's not on my head, but when it is it's several inches both too long and too wide, no matter how much tightening of the straps I do. Yeesh, I knew I was going to be smaller than the average person wearing it, but I didn't realize I was that little.

Does anyone know of a tutorial for the mask? I've seen guides for the arm, but not for the mask.

can i know which ebay mask you purchased? there appears to be 3 choices at the moment. one of them has been reviewed already (the almost all black one with 4 straps). but there is also one from GCFX and a third one that is grey colored/patterned.

can i know which ebay mask you purchased? there appears to be 3 choices at the moment. one of them has been reviewed already (the almost all black one with 4 straps). but there is also one from GCFX and a third one that is grey colored/patterned.

I picked up the same one that was reviewed in this thread. To its credit, it looks good - it's just made for someone much bigger than me.

Hello all,

Let me begin by saying thank you for this thread that I used to help build my Winter soldier outfit I used at Wondercon in April, and the specs I am using for my captain america shield.

I have been trying to create the arm out of metal specifically stainless steel, but the hinge joint for the elbow is proving to be quite difficult.( still spec stage)

I am trying to completely cover up the elbow joint when my arm is straight or flexed without showing any of the arm underneath.

I don't want to fully envelop the arm the way medieval armor is done.

Or have a huge clunky elbow bad looking part if possible.

And I would prefer not to have a random hanging flap sticking out ether up or down such as this Ironman arm.

Maybe you want to try something like this:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=21209EBD4D8A434F&id=21209EBD4D8A434F!5432&v=3

Last edited:
EDGE - thank you!! but there appears to be two versions of this knife?? one serrated(178SBK) and one not (176BK). who knows which one it is, since he never uses it.

View attachment 336527View attachment 336528

I can't find it at the moment (at work) but I remember a still from the replica figure holding it, and it was the non-serrated version. Not 100% accurate, I know, but it's as close as we can get without a screenshot/still.

What is the white material that is bending in the model made out of?

zeros and ones... ;) that is just a 3D model to communicate a design plan. You can make it with any material that would be thin enough and could be bent into that shape. I would most likely use ABS or Polycarbonate material for the Iron Man suit but you could also use metal.

I’ve been lurking on and off and I want to add some ideas/things here to, hopefully, help! All the info/discussion so far has been super helpful! I too am a working on this (slowly but surely).

Hi!
I made boots.
I purchase a replica of BATAS product.
View attachment 336683

It is the same sole shape.

View attachment 336684

edgecosplay.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-25.html

Those boots looks amazing! Your edges are so clean!

there appears to be two versions of this knife?? one serrated and one not. who knows which one it is, since he never uses it.
I also second the un-serrated blade according to the Hot Toys ref.
TWSHT Knife.jpg

I patterned up the kneepad and felt the need to share since it was a huge pain in the butt for me. I figured I save someone else the time. :) I have the height set at 6.75" right now, but anywhere between 6.5"-7" should be okay depending on your height. The straps for it should be 3/4"-1”. The pattern might need altered, I haven't actually made this yet. The purple lines are optional to cut, but it does add a nicer curvature to it.
VonViolet Knee Pad EDIT.jpgVVKneepad.jpg

For the goggles I initially bought some Bencore ones but couldn’t bring myself to alter them they were so nice. Instead I went to the dollar store, bought the biggest pair of sun glasses I could find, popped the lenses out, made the outer part from craft foam, coated it with PlastiDip, hot glued the lenses in, and then sewed on the elastic straps with velcro. I fiddled around with the straps so they wouldn't interfere with the wig and would be easier to put on and take off. Also mask! My first attempt failed horribly, so I remade it.
VVGoggles.jpgVVGoggleMask.jpg
VVTest1.jpgVV Test2.jpg

Here's some else's method: Learning to Sew | How I made my Winter Soldier mask If you would like, I could do a write up for my mask~

Last edited:
I’ve been lurking on and off and I want to add some ideas/things here to, hopefully, help! All the info/discussion so far has been super helpful! I too am a working on this (slowly but surely).

Those boots looks amazing! Your edges are so clean!

I also second the un-serrated blade according to the Hot Toys ref.
View attachment 340375

I patterned up the kneepad and felt the need to share since it was a huge pain in the butt for me. I figured I save someone else the time. :) I have the height set at 6.75" right now, but anywhere between 6.5"-7" should be okay depending on your height. The straps for it should be 1”. The pattern might need altered, I haven't actually made this yet.
View attachment 340388View attachment 340389

For the goggles I initially bought some Bencore ones but couldn’t bring myself to alter them they were so nice. Instead I went to the dollar store, bought the biggest pair of sun glasses I could find, popped the lenses out, made the outer part from craft foam, coated it with PlastiDip, hot glued the lenses in, and then sewed on the elastic straps with velcro. I fiddled around with the straps so they wouldn't interfere with the wig and would be easier to put on and take off. Also mask! My first attempt failed horribly, so I remade it.
View attachment 340378View attachment 340380
View attachment 340374View attachment 340373

Here's some else's method: Learning to Sew | How I made my Winter Soldier mask If you would like, I could do a write up for my mask~

holy wow! first of all, thanks for the hot toys pic, i didn't even think to look there. and super thanks for the kneepad pattern. and your goggles look AMAZING, i was planning to also make them from scratch with an old pair of sunglass lenses but i have never worked with craft foam etc so i was was wondering if there was any other steps besides the plasti dip and hot glue? thanks!!!

I'd love to see a write up on yours! It looks great.
Tutorial thing/Write-up done! I tried to compress it as much as I could, no one likes long posts~
LINK: VonV's Cosplay & Stuff
I rehashed images of the completed mask and drew on them to hopefully make it more tutorial like. It's a little involved but I'm sure some short cuts can be made to save time.

For convenience, here's the pattern I mocked up for the mask: VVWinterSoldierMask
Depending on your head shape/size this will need scaled, but this should fit most. Print at 100%, do not scale to fit or else the proportions will be messed up. Hope this helps!

holy wow! first of all, thanks for the hot toys pic, i didn't even think to look there. and super thanks for the kneepad pattern. and your goggles look AMAZING, i was planning to also make them from scratch with an old pair of sunglass lenses but i have never worked with craft foam etc so i was was wondering if there was any other steps besides the plasti dip and hot glue? thanks!!!

Thank you, glad I could help! You'll need a heat gun/open flame stove top. A really hot hair dyer may work too, haven't tested it yet. I hot glued everything together first and then heat formed it. Here's a short tutorial I found: How to Make a Superhero Mask - YouTube I was scared I would mess this up, but it's really easy! Do recommend! I'm sure some fellow RPFers can explain this better than me~ >< Anything I know about EVA/craft foam I learned by reading up on Mass Effect suit builds.

@ vonviolet

You work was absolutely fantastic, and thank you for posting the how to.

Is there any way would could trouble you for a how to for the goggles as well.
Aw thanks! If you give me a little time I can do a write up. A friend of mine is also cosplaying the Winter Soldier so I might make goggles for her and then I can take actual progress shots.

If anyone else wants to tackle the boots, here's a compilation of images I threw together:
WSBootsRef.jpg

Also I found a spot on match for Bucky's rifle that's super affordable. EDIT: Okay I just received this and it's really small. I'm planning to make mods, to make it longer, but I'm generally displeased with the size. Having held a rifle before this doesn't even fit/touch my shoulder when I hold it.
$_57.JPG
M4 M4A1 Carbine Play Set Toy SWAT Assault Police Rifle Machine Gun Holster Cuff | eBay

Also thinking about convention weapon polices, I bought a pair of rubber knives:
51Mhj+CGjEL._SL1500_.jpg
Amazon.com : Boker A-F Rubber Training Knife, Pack of 2 : Hunting Knives : Sports & Outdoors
They're pretty close to what the knife was thought to be initially, so can't complain. I really don't want to be thrown out for carrying live steel, or even something sharp so, rubber and kid toys it is! I will be making the sheathes out of craft foam.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back