My Build & Gearing Up

shenphong

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thought there weren't enough build threads lately and figured it was time to start one. I've posted on the fb group a number of times but will start updating here as well. I'll try to keep the items in order as well as cost to help give new potential judges ideas as well.

First off, zip cuffs:

The primed zip cuffs were printed from shapeways from the files provided by Ken Chung on the FB group. Total cost was about $12 (I had a free shipping coupon) and they were printed in sandstone. I made a 1 piece mold for them after priming them to smooth them out a bit and cast them out of smooth-cast 300, the originals have cut marks on them as sandstone is very easily marked. I do have a pressure chamber and vacuum chamber but with the the parts being so small and thin and the resin's cure time, I just went ahead and cast them up. This process gave me some nicely shaped pieces but bubbles here and there. They were then puttied with tamiya putty and small bubbles and pin holes filled in mr. surfacer 500. Some of the cuffs look great, others a bit rough when I got impatient with the whole process and just wanted to churn out as much as possible, for possible gifts or just as spares. The parts also did not take much resin to cast either, I have a gallon of smooth-cast 300 and these cuffs took barely $2 worth of resin each casting. I actually miscalculated too many times and ended up wasting a bit more resin then necessary.

Pieces were then primed, painted, and super glued together. Seems to be holding very firm now will now spray one more coat of black tonite then a protective clear coat using future floor polish and tamiya flat base to cut the gloss look down. I've also trimmed the zip ties and will epoxy them in.

Last edited:
Looks like you'll have a nice set when you are done. Thanks for sharing here. I don't do facebook and it always surprises me how many people seem to favor facebook over the RPF for build information.

Looks like you'll have a nice set when you are done. Thanks for sharing here. I don't do facebook and it always surprises me how many people seem to favor facebook over the RPF for build information.

The facebook set up is impossible!!! It's one of the worst things I've ever used in my life for this type of thing...but its where the main group is.

I hate facebook for build info, but if that's where a group is primarily located it can be hard to tear them away.

Finished up some more parts but forgot to update here and not just the fb page which is still horrible to follow!

My JBR V1, I prefer the smaller one, I'm 5 foot 6, thin to medium build so it fits my look well.

Trimmed with a dremel and file, then smoothed out with wet sanding.

Puttied and cleaned up a bit. Got my badge in too, thanks Sean Cho!

Helmet was then primed, painted with rustoleum metallic silver, painter's touchultra-cover 2x gloss black, and badge was weathered with some black oil paints dry brushed on and wiped off. Also dremeled and used a file to get some scars on there I'll be scuffing up later on.

Picked up some colonial red ultra-cover 2x from amazon since I could not find it anywhere in the area and disaster!

Not sure what happened but the red reacted very badly to the black, the black was left to dry for about a week and the red just ate away at it, it never fully dried and it just melted away the black and silver coat. Had to strip and start all over.

Stripped it and got a welding visor trimmed out and test fitted in

Painted the helmet with rustoleum aluminum now isntead of silver. The silver flakes were a bit too large and left it with a very paint looking finish. The aluminum finish looks fantastic though and definitely will be going on the lawgiver.

Picked up some colonial red ultra-cover 2x from amazon since I could not find it anywhere in the area and disaster!
[url]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/shenphong/IMG_5383_zps515b3851.jpg[/URL]
[url]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/shenphong/IMG_5382_zps297b1e28.jpg[/URL]

Where you able to solve this problem? The same thing happened to me and had to strip and redo the process for a week...
Will sanding help? I'm planning to mask the red area next time but not sure if there are other options.

Not sure what happened but the red reacted very badly to the black, the black was left to dry for about a week and the red just ate away at it, it never fully dried and it just melted away the black and silver coat. Had to strip and start all over.

Stripped it and got a welding visor trimmed out and test fitted in
[url]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/shenphong/1233453_688727901154844_2045512839_n_zps46897184.jpg[/URL]

I encountered the same problem and had to strip the whole thing for a week...

Will sanding work?

I'm planning to mask the red area next time or still wait if there are other options I'm would welcome great ideas out there.

I'll be monitoring this thread.

Sanding didn't work for me, I had to strip the whole thing and get a new can of paint. Returned mine to amazon, they sent me a new can and good as new.

I just wish I had gotten on a thicker coat of aluminum underneath, but its still coming along nicely. Currently going through a top layer of weathering, then will put a clear on and weather some more...going for a semi heavy weathered look, more then Dredds but less then Lex.

Looks real nice man! Good job! Glad you got your red issue sorted.

I'm jealous your weathering looks better than mine, but C'est la vie.

Re: My Build & Gearing Up

im not particularly happy with some parts, but a top coat then some spritzes with my tamiya acrylics and airbrush and then a few dusts of sand, chalk, and pastels and I'll call it done. Have you seen some close up shots of Lex's? That thing is weathered to hell.

- - - Updated - - -

Many of the judge's noted issues with their cans, luckily my replacement worked well.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back