D.C.'s Gotham tv series

Ignore_Me.jpeg

Love Batman... But this show?... I dunno. I hated the pilot, but I KNOW the potential for it.

I wasn't even a minute in and I was groaning. I hated Cat-girl jumping into the same crouched pose over and over... then stealing milk, to feed CATS! cuz she's Catwoman. See?

Then the "don't riddle" and "Get away from the door, Ivy" or the "hey... PENGUIN!" lines (whatever they actually were)... then the comedian... I flat out expected the guy in the torture mask to say "Cops are the BANE of my existence!".

I guess I just heard so much about it being dark and adult that I was surprised how cheesy it was.

Oh well... just a pilot... I'll check out another ep or 2.

I'm actually enjoying it. It's got a comic book feel to it. It's dark and gritty. I love the look of the city. It's definitely Gotham... Like I always pictured it. It's a mixture of Nolan's, Burton's and New York. There's a little TAS feel to it... It's a little serendipitous to start, but I doubt it'll stay that way. Probably a way of hooking people.

I actually liked it. Was it corny? Absolutely. But it kept the same vibe as the Arkham games as far as the style and look of Gotham. I'm really liking this take on the Penguin! His walk down the street from this week's teaser was very unsettling! Loved it.

Well I gave it another chance last night and I'll admit it was a lot better. I still cant stand Jada and Bruce Wayne, and the acting is still really bad for the most part but Donal Logue is doing a great job.

I finally got to watching the latest episode last night. Definitely better than the first episode, which I also quite enjoyed. Absolutely love this portrayal of the Oswald Cobblepot. His teeth are getting more brown as are his nails. Nice little touch.

I can't help but feel bad for Oswald for some reason

I agree very much. I feel very bad for him, but I think that's what makes us so interested in the character. He has been picked on his whole life and treated like a freak or "Penguin". Now he's had enough. Poetic justice? Perhaps....but so awesome!

My question is.....
Is he going to respect Gordan for saving/sparing his life or is he going to still have total hatred toward anything law enforcement?

My question is.....
Is he going to respect Gordan for saving/sparing his life or is he going to still have total hatred toward anything law enforcement?
Pretty sure the end of tonight's episode and the end trailer after it will answer your question...

But, now onto what I think about the show:

First off, I've heard the complaints about "I don't like how they make the character's cheesy/identifiable as their later-to-become villains" or "I don't like how they changed Poison Ivy's real name". Sure, you're right, for people like us who have read the comics and kept up with Batman lore for a while, there's no reason for them to do that. But that being said Fox isn't just aiming to please us Batman fans that know about the characters. I told my family about the show, so one night, we watched it together (the pilot episode). My dad, who is not a Batman fan (he likes it, he just doesn't keep up with the comics or know anything in depth about it) loved it, and was able to get which characters were which. If they would've called the Penguin Oswald Cobblepot the entire episode, my dad would've NEVER been able to figure out who it was. And so it's really a good thing that they are making the characters blatantly obvious, because it's pulling in more fans.

When I first heard about the show, I wasn't so sure... it just seemed odd to create a Batman themed show without Batman. Even the trailers I was just kind of "suspicious" about... That being said, after I watched the Pilot episode, I was VERY thrilled with how it turned out. Here's what's great about it:
  • Although there is no "Batman" in the show, it still feels like Batman, down to the mysteries and detective cases
  • There are some really cool (although obvious) references that keep it in-line with what we know as Batman without straying too far to create it's own origin and characters.
  • It does something I didn't think it could. It focuses on the trouble that surrounds young Bruce Wayne and kind of gives you a better idea of why he becomes Batman. My favorite Batman graphic novel is Year One, and although in the book it tells that his parents were robbed and shot, it doesn't really give you any better idea of why Bruce has this overwhelming hatred for crime in Gotham apart from "A criminal killed my parents and Gotham is a dirty place so I'm going to go and seek justice". Sure, that's believable, but more depth is always appreciated, and I think Gotham hits all the good notes when it comes to showing why Bruce hates Gotham's criminals. I think that after having his parents murdered, he soon realizes that the murderer is just one out of thousands of criminals like him, and he's constantly seeing things happen around him in the city that are crimes and he's starting to get this greater understanding of evil.
  • The overall plot is really good in my opinion. There's some depth to it, but not so much depth that it's difficult to follow.

I'v been wanting to give it a try but everyone tells me it's soooo bad... :(

Dude there's bad, than there's Gotham. It's almost like 2 shows in one. The first is a weird little boy (Wayne) who likes to question everything while always being filmed in only one or two rooms of his house, who listens to death metal while doodling and bossing Alfred around. The whole time Gordon is swinging from this little boy's nuts, its almost boarder line creepy. Then there's the other part of the show that they throw anything and everything at the wall to see what sticks. When you see the penguin on the screen, you will hear a minimum of 15 references of "the penguin". Same with every other villain they are trying to cram in an hour.

The only saving grace to this trainwreck of a show is Donal Logue, but unfortunately even he can't save this mess.

Now if you pretend that this isn't Batman at all and all the names are just a big coincidence then you're left with a cheesy drama that should be on the CW at best.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back