izzi's (Sort Of) Cheap Street Judge Build.

izzi

Okay, been a member for years browsing around, but I' finally making the first thread of my own! (Praise me!)

No, I don't have pictures yet, but I figure if I start a thread on this it'll give me the motivation to continue researching and pushing to complete this.

I plan on doing this "sort-of" cheap. Basically I'm going to browse around and try and tackle what I think I can handle and watch the junkyard and other vendors for the rest, if things come up at a price I can afford at the time.

Things I plan on cheating:

HELMET: Got a sweet bucket from Pannaus Props a few days ago on my porch with some cash I made sure to put aside. For me the lid makes or breaks a costume, so I wanted to be sure I had some cash for a good one. I need to polish up the badge and start painting. I'll tell you, it's even more epic holding it in hand than it was when I saw the pictures. I just need to research and figure out the best way to pad it and the best color red to paint it. I was thinking of reinforcing the interior with fiberglass cloth, like I did with some custom mandalorian helmets awhile back. Would anyone suggest this or do you think it's sturdy enough on it's own?

GLOVES: Just my own thing. I like having accurate gloves and hate working on them... So I'm going to be watching for a pair for sale or be saving up for some LeatherNext gloves. If there is a cheaper accurate option, please share.

BELT BUCKLE: I'm thinking I better buy this when I get the cash. I already have a belt or two that would work for it.

Things I'm going to try myself:

JACKET: I'm not going to worry about being uber accurate here... yet. I'm going to watch the thrift stores and see if I can find a passable leather jacket to use as the base. As my finances are solidified I'll probably upgrade, but for now I'm taking the easy route to get the costume wearable while on a budget

PANTS: See Above

VEST: Looks like I'll most likely be using the EVA foam technique at first... unless I find a few hundred bucks on the street. (I can hope, right?) Material suggestions to make the actual vest portion would be greatly appreciated.

BADGE: Hoping to get in on that 3D print run for a custom badge. *fingers crossed*

BOOTS: I have some that MAY work. I'll have to dig them out and compare to the references. If they won't I'll be on the lookout for a cheap alternative.

KNEE / ELBOW PADS: I need to research, but I think I can do a decent job at making something workable.

Unsure what to do:

LAWGIVER: Kits seem to be expensive and I'm not sure I have the skill to totally replicate it. Guess I'll either look for pattern files or save up a bit. Could use some suggestions on this.

HOLSTER: I honestly haven't looked at it yet, so I'm unsure. I'll worry about it when I have a sidearm to fill it.

MEDKIT: I have a leather worker friend that I may be able to bribe to make me one of these. We'll see.

OTHER GADGETS: I don't quite have a full list of everything, so I'll be gathering that as the research continues.

Okay, so there's my silliness in all it's glory as I try to figure this out. Enjoy! Feel free to say "Hey stupid! It's easier to do it this way!" any chance you get. :)

-iz

It sounds like you're going the same route that I went. When I added everything up I figured a screen accurate Judge's uniform would be in the $2000 range. That kind of cash was out of the question for me so I bought what I could afford. In the end my build was about $800 (I bought a finished helmet from Fulvio, and the leather jacket and pants off ebay).

For the Lawgiver I used an "Air Zone" Quickfire 6:

PROFILE-PAGE-QUICKFIRE-6-BLASTER-2_zpsf7490813.jpg

These are usually sold a Toys R Us, however the line has been discontinued so everything is old stock and will eventually sell out. I'm in Canada and actually had to have a friend from the States buy one and mail it to me... which made it cost a lot more than it should have. :wacko

The rest of my "budget" build is here to give you some ideas:

http://www.therpf.com/f71/my-budget-dredd-update-new-pics-194406/

Hope this helps!

Kevin

Awesome. I'll check out your build for ideas. I'll also run down to my local Toys R Us today to see if I can snag one of those out look for other options.

Thanks!

-iz

It sounds like you're going the same route that I went. When I added everything up I figured a screen accurate Judge's uniform would be in the $2000 range. That kind of cash was out of the question for me so I bought what I could afford. In the end my build was about $800 (I bought a finished helmet from Fulvio, and the leather jacket and pants off ebay).

For the Lawgiver I used an "Air Zone" Quickfire 6:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y2...LE-PAGE-QUICKFIRE-6-BLASTER-2_zpsf7490813.jpg

These are usually sold a Toys R Us, however the line has been discontinued so everything is old stock and will eventually sell out. I'm in Canada and actually had to have a friend from the States buy one and mail it to me... which made it cost a lot more than it should have. :wacko

The rest of my "budget" build is here to give you some ideas:

http://www.therpf.com/f71/my-budget-dredd-update-new-pics-194406/

Hope this helps!

Kevin

Hi, any progress on the 'airzone quick fire' conversion?

Just picked up a pair of them in the bargain bucket at Toys R Us, not that I'm thinking about starting a Dredd 3D costume at all!

.......though I do have the helmet and my 2000AD Comic Judge is done, pretty much.

Edit update: oh hold on, sorry Kevin, just actually followed your thread and realised I'd already commented on it!! I really need to get some sleep! Brilliant work though.........

Last edited:
Izi - saw this on another posting for a lawgiver:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lanard-Shel...words=Lanard+Shell+Shock+X-6+Softdart-Blaster
It's pretty good

This is the one I went with, something about it just gave an overall more Dredd movie feel about it even though parts of both guns leave some to be desired. I did have a Nerf Stryfe I was going to mod, but I returned it in favor of this one. I am in US and I got it on US amazon site, but it seems rather scarce.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I actually hit Toys 'R Us and they no longer had that version of the Air Zone, so I'll try and snag that guy off Amazon.

-iz

Sorry for the lack of updates, I started this project right before moving, so I've currently got my tools boxed up until next week.

-iz

A bit of an update: I've got my Dredd badge (And a custom) on order and found a pair of cheap leather pants. When I get the cash, probably late next year, I'll start on something more accurate, until then this'll work.

Looks like I may just break down and buy a vest. I've seen some nice ones at a pretty reasonable cost. seems a shame to build... Just need to cash.

I still need to post pics, but I'd been between homes at the moment, so I neither have work area (putting everything is storage) or access to an internet connection.

If you want any tips on making your costume on the cheap check out my Dredd thread in my signature! On the very last post I link in the tutorial I published online :) it assumes you already have a leather jacket and some dark jeans but I think you're already set with those yes?

I'm doing this too. One thing to consider for the jacket and pants are inexpensive motorcycle gear. If you have a Cycle Gear near you (or check their website), check out their Bilt product line in the sport bike section. A lot of the jackets and pants can be had for $100 each when they're on sale, and will look reasonably close.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. The place I'm currently in doesn't have much room to work, but I'm probably going to steal a bit of a friend's garage to work on this and a custom mando through the winter. Might as well paint two projects at once!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back