TRON Legacy - Flynn's Arcade 1:12 scale diorama

Time for an update

I was outside today to collect two items / products for the diorama. The first item was the fine dust I mentioned. I will skip the 3M soot and use natural dust instead. This is the exact same type that one can find outside on walls, road etc and is something that takes time to collect. I took two up-close images with flash and without flash to give you a sense of the colour and structure. Since it is a close up image, in reality, this dust is smaller than it appears and acts perfect in terms of how it fastens in cracks and cavity's, so very happy with that and totally free of charge :D

10139668053_792db2d323_o.jpg

The next item or items is leaf's. Instead of locating images, checking the size, get a handful for variety etc, why not use what nature produces. It is after all autumn here and the leaf's are fully matured for picking, so I collected a few that I feel represents autumn.

10139620486_d94b03b599_c.jpg

10139438834_a5b3fe467b_b.jpg

And a reference image of how they collect compared to the scene in Legacy. I will try to match that as well.

10139623376_4e06456667_o.jpg

That is it for now.

I have 2 messages left before I become a full member and that is a big deal, counting this one, I have one left.

I find it very difficult to locate blueprints of the Hull building and / or Flynn's arcade. There isn't really much out there in terms of material. There is no reply from Culver city yet, but I really hope that can come through with what I need. If anyone reads this that know more about the building, please forward the info.

Your attention to detail(s) is outstanding!
I don't know if its outstanding but its what I know. I have problems dealing with items and replication that only resemble something from a far but up close look horrible. Take the Han Solo ANH DL-44 blaster replica, that is a level of details that is even beyond me and what I always strive for when I do something. I appreciate the words, but I will show you when you can say that something is outstanding.. :)

http://www.therpf.com/f9/anh-hero-dl-44-discussion-three-anh-greeblies-found-118186/index5.html

Last edited:
So here is my "dilemma". Picky as I am, I want the surface of the model to be close to that of a brick. My idea right now is to first create the foundation out of foamboards or foam core, balsa wood for structure and poster board for the curvature. When I have the wood structure and boards in place, I can then use a self drying clay ontop as the final detail and / or structural surface. The advantage of using this is that I can work on it while it is wet and when it is dry. That is two techniques. I can add dents and cavity's while it is wet and carve when it is dry since some of the features is best manufactured when dry. I am also planing on fastening some integrity to the core structure so that there is a definitely bonding structure for the clay so that I do not only rely on the surface tension between the clay and the wall. Some pieces that is repeated can be moulded from one master sculpture and will make my job simpler.

I am only relaying on my "IRL" experience with different materials and I am not planing, at least now, to offer this diorama for sale. This is a one of a kind build.

I found a hand vacuumpump for $120,- this one goes down to 0.799 bar and should be enough to remove trapped air bubbles in casting material.

TR53.jpg

I am torn between building the diorama using clay and do a resin casting. I think this is something I need to decide fairly quickly and i need to produce a blueprint. I will spend this weekend on that by using some of the images I have and Google maps

- Looking at some reference images, the neon sign is about 80 cm tall, so using the original drawing, I will scale that to be 6,66 cm
- The front pillar's, I estimate them to be 240 cm and 20 cm in 1:12 scale.

Last edited:
Not too many replies here... Just wanted to let you know I've subscribed with great interest. Sounds like you are going for an ultra-realistic creation and I can't wait to see how it progresses.

As far as sculpting and casting goes, if you are making this as a one time creation, why go through the extra work of creating a resin cast? What would you do with the original? A creation like this may become an heirloom and I would like to know that each brick, crack, scrape were directly carved by hand.

Looking forward to your updates!!

Not too many replies here... Just wanted to let you know I've subscribed with great interest. Sounds like you are going for an ultra-realistic creation and I can't wait to see how it progresses.

As far as sculpting and casting goes, if you are making this as a one time creation, why go through the extra work of creating a resin cast? What would you do with the original? A creation like this may become an heirloom and I would like to know that each brick, crack, scrape were directly carved by hand.

Looking forward to your updates!!
Thank's. Subscribers are always welcome, I want other members to be involved. And when it comes to heirloom, I never considered it to be, but who knows. The question is if others are interested in such a large diorama, its going to be huge. On the other hand, I don't think we will know until its done since this is a work in progress. I am "developing" the blueprint for the building since it looks like I will need to do that anyway.

I am also reflecting on the sculpting itself, how I should do it and which parts can be repeated (pattern), the column's and ornaments are repetitive patterns and can be moulded using gypsum as an example.

- BRICK BY BRICK - ;)

While I am working on this blueprint, I remember a quote: "Always do more than what you are payed for, its an investment in your future, not who you work for". So I do more than necessary and what is required, but god damned it, I am investing

Last edited:
- Time for a new entry with some information.

- I am done with the blueprint. If you have followed this tread, you know the references I have used.

- This blueprint is based upon visual inspection using Google maps of the Hull Building in Culver city, CA, USA and the reproduced building in TRON Legacy from 2010. No real measurements were used nor any original drawings. This blueprint is based upon a 1:12 scale drawing that will be used for a diorama. The figure in the blueprint is Alan Bradley / Tron (Bruce Boxleitner) which is approximately 187 cm tall IRL. The A & B column is 240 cm tall IRL based upon Alan's height. This blueprint should be considered as a artistic representation and not a actual building and/or object. I claim copyright only on this interpretation, not the name Flynn's Arcade, Tron Legacy or the character Alan Bradley. I do not represent Walt Disney nor do I work for Walt Disney. This material is fanbased production and is not for sale nor will it be sold.

- You can view the full size A1 (Original (3311 x 2339)) format here; All sizes | Flynn's Arcade Blueprint A1 ( 2339x3311 px) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

10247933103_ea024edcd0_b.jpg

I think the first object I will work on is the neon sign. I will make the letters independent from one another, so I contacted thatscoolwire.com since I have a few questions before I place my order.

Tron 1982 Blu-ray is on its way, partly because I want to watch it again, but also so that I can get access to HQ pictures of the neon sign, yeah I know.. obsessed right.. lol

Nice blueprint. Illustrator?
Hi, nope, its Photoshop with some vector imports. For fast vectoring or vectorizing, I use Vector Magic. Its fine if you want a small job or something converted automatically. I use Ai less than I thought when I started learning that software, but I have it available if I need it.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back