Batgirl Cowl foam/pep question

ATG 835

Hey there, everyone! So I've been doing pepakura for a while now (Although nothing is finished to show for that), but I'm a bit stuck. I'm planning on going as Barbara Gordon's Batgirl for Halloween and I need to make a cowl. My plan was to buy one from the fantastically talented Reevz666, but I don't think it will arrive by the time that I have need for it.

So my new plan is to pepakura the thing, but I cannot find any sort of Pepakura file for Batgirl. I was considering taking a Captain America Helmet pep file and modding it to hell and back to give it the Batgirl look. The nose is right, and it has a decent head shape. I have the file for both foam and pepakura, but here is my question:

Which would be better?

I'd think that foam would provide the flexibility that I need in order to fit it on my head, but at the same time, since I'll be modding it, I will likely have a load of seams showing and I want my cowl to be perfectly smooth without any seams at all. I know that some people use plastidip on theirs, but I'd think that that takes away all of the flexibility. I need it to fit as close to the face as humanely possible, something I am sure I can do with foam.

Pepakura, however, allows me to sloppily mod the hell out of the Cap. file (Add ears, add the chin strap, the side of the head, cut off some of the back of the head) without worrying about it because I'll be bondo-ing over that anyways. I'm worried about having it not having any flex to it, though, and that it'll become a problem when it comes time to actually wear it.

Anyone have any tips on what I can do about this? If any of you have ever made a Captain America helmet, how did it fit? Did it fit perfectly against the skin and could you easily take it on and off? Thanks!

Hey, just tried to open this file up in Pep Designer so I could adjust the scale and it close the program and reopens in Pep Viewer. Anyway around this?

So I just finished trying to see if it will fit my wife. Its a no go. way too small. So its no way to change the scale?

Question: I'm a total newbie to pepakura, and I'm designing a batgirl costume for myself. How does the foam file differ from a normal pep file? I'd love to make my cowl from this. Thanks!

Question: I'm a total newbie to pepakura, and I'm designing a batgirl costume for myself. How does the foam file differ from a normal pep file? I'd love to make my cowl from this. Thanks!
Foam is a thinker medium to work with than cardstock. It has its own challenges, but the nice thing about foam is that it bends into smoother arches, unlike cardstock. A pepakura creation made from cardstock has a lot of edges, like an older video game character model, if that makes sense. As a result, you need to smooth out your creation with fiberglass, body filler, and a lot of sanding.
Here's a resource to give you some ideas on how to do foam builds from pep...http://www.therpf.com/f24/jfcustoms-foam-files-148889/
Hope this helps.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back