Nintendo! (Now 1:5 SCALE) Miniature Consoles

Just finished the Sega Saturn. Almost done the Sega line of primary consoles!

segaSaturn.JPG

Last edited:
Just got all the 3d prints for the rest of the Nintendo systems! I'll post pictures as soon as I've had a chance to paint and assemble them.

I also thought I'd share a few WIP shots from Solidworks so you can see these during the modeling process. The first one is the Sega Saturn I just posted and the second is the current console I'm modeling.

wip.jpg

wip2.jpg

This will complete the Sega line (sans 32X if I decide to do it at a later date) and then I'll probably start on the NEC line (TurboGrafx, PC Engine, etc), unless I decide to do some more classic consoles.

Exciting news! I received the 3d print for the NES yesterday, painted, assembled and varnished it. I think it turned out fantastic! I'm going to order the rest of the Nintendo consoles I modeled and finish them the same way I did with this one. I'm also almost done modeling the Atari 2600.

View attachment 407927 View attachment 407929

View attachment 407930 View attachment 407928

What are your thoughts?

I would love to have a small shadow box with this small nintendo console and a controller (are you doing them btw? ) and a game cartridge .

I would love to have a small shadow box with this small nintendo console and a controller (are you doing them btw? ) and a game cartridge .
I'm definitely open to doing controllers and carts as well. I included them for the first 1:10 set that I designed last year. At a larger scale, they'll be that much easier to print and paint, but I was burning through the systems themselves at such a rate that I didn't want to slow down on account of all the extra modeling.

If there's enough interest, I'll likely add controllers to each system.

This thread calls for a "shut up and take my money" picture with mario and sonic in it lol. Looking absolutely amazing.
Haha. That's what I want to see more of! As of now, all currently completed models are available on Shapeways, but as this isn't an INT or FS thread, I can't link to them. Plus, I haven't test printed them all so I wouldn't want to promote a design I couldn't verify 100% as far as quality is concerned. In addition, printing one on it's own is significantly pricier than printing them in batches, so much like previous 3d printed projects I've brought to the RPF before (Doctor Who props), it would be run based, which means I need to garner a lot more interest in them first.

But one thing holding me back is that people who haven't seen 3d printing before really don't know what to expect from model kits made with the technology. If someone is used to the common model kits made with injection molds, they're likely to be disappointed when they get their hands on 3d printed kits. There's a good deal more TLC needed to finish a 3d printed kit, and one thing I saw from the DW 3d printed prop run is only about a fourth of those that got them posted pictures of their final product(s). In addition, these are at a much smaller scale than those props and while the WSF material worked for that size of prop, these aren't quite as impressive, imho.

Here's an example (N64) of one of the unpainted/unfinished models, as they are printed:

10846173_576340742465760_4938348787791072696_n.jpg

On the curved and angled surfaces, you can see stepping (a result of the printing process as it prints layer by layer). The more shallow the angle, the more prominent the stepping is. These lines can be sanded down to minimize their appearance, and after a few coats of paint and varnish/lacquer, they can go away, but as you could imagine, some people don't want that extra work for a miniature model kit.

Still, the people want what they want. I'm always honest about the limitations of 3d printing and wish I could offer nicer things, but for those that like the designs I can put out there and are willing to put in the time to make them work, I'm all for keeping doing what I'm doing!

Last edited:
Dreamcast is done and so is the Sega line of consoles! Again, I'd like to do the 32x but there isn't a good way to do it without modifying either of the Genesis models that it goes with or the 32X itself. Still, it would be a relatively inexpensive add on in the grand scheme of things so it's definitely on the table.

segaDreamcast.JPG

So the question is, what should I do next? NEC, SNK, handhelds, or some more retro systems? Or maybe a series of less popular consoles like the 3DO, Jaguar, etc?

Last edited:
Two more 3d prints assembled and painted - Super Nintendo and Game Cube!

IMG_4736.JPG

IMG_4737.JPG

The color on the GC is a bit off from what it should be but it doesn't bother me. I hate having to mix enamels but a lot of the colors on these consoles are not available directly from the bottle. I'll probably paint the N64 next since it's a similar matte texture of plastic to the ones I've done so far. For the Wii and WiiU, Im planning to do some sanding to eliminate the stepping around the curved and angled faces, as well as attempt a finishing technique for a smooth and shiny surface.

New model is finished - Nintendo Virtual Boy. I'm curious how the stand will come out but I'm confident. the minimum wall thickness is 1mm and the thinnest portion on the stand is 1.2mm , so we'll see. I set the legs up to print as as separate parts, lying flat on the print bed so they don't warp during the process.

nintendoVirtualBoy.JPG

Last edited:
Really like this project. Something about a sega with a sega cd attached just brings back great memories. Even if I only owned 3 cd games for it.
I once made it all look crazy. Sega hooked to sega cd, 32X on top, with game genie, Sonic & Knuckles and another game hooked together on top. Looked insane. Wonder where I have that pic at....

Really like this project. Something about a sega with a sega cd attached just brings back great memories. Even if I only owned 3 cd games for it.
I once made it all look crazy. Sega hooked to sega cd, 32X on top, with game genie, Sonic & Knuckles and another game hooked together on top. Looked insane. Wonder where I have that pic at....

Reminds me of the Angry Video Game Nerd's commentary video on the console wares between Sega and Nintendo where he had the CD, Genesis and then three 32X's stacked on top of each other, haha.

New model done - I'm doing some off the less successful consoles now. First up, the Panasonic 3DO. It's a pretty ugly system, all things considered...

panasonic3DO.JPG

Last edited:
Reminds me of the Angry Video Game Nerd's commentary video on the console wares between Sega and Nintendo where he had the CD, Genesis and then three 32X's stacked on top of each other, haha.

I just checked google for that and actually found someone that has original sega cd, genesis and 5 32Xs and a few more things plugged in the top.
After you finish modeling all these systems, you should make a robot that looks like its made out of them all. Video game system robot.

I just checked google for that and actually found someone that has original sega cd, genesis and 5 32Xs and a few more things plugged in the top.
After you finish modeling all these systems, you should make a robot that looks like its made out of them all. Video game system robot.

Haha, that's great. Devastator, Sega style!

Also, new model finished - Atari Jaguar. Yeah, I'm doing a bunch of failed systems now, haha.

atariJaguar.JPG

Last edited:
NEC TurboGrafx 16. This one has an "optional" cover that goes on the back. On the real deal, it covers the expansion port so I figured I'd make it a separate piece from the main assembly with extra tolerance so it will fit nicely after painting.

necTurboGrafx16 (No Cover).JPG

Here is it with that back piece.

necTurboGrafx16.JPG

Last edited:
I've moved on to handhelds. First up, naturally, the original brick - Nintendo Game Boy. I have yet to print something so small in the WSF material so we'll see how it comes out. Special consideration was made for the screen section, which was modeled as a separate part so a printed screenshot can be applied before assembly.

nintendoGameBoy.JPG

Last edited:
I saw that you all ready have made a Magnavox Odyssey! but I grew up playing the magnavox odyssey 2 that is quite different in shape as the First odyssey. I thought you might consider doing this one as well in the future.
061708_consoles70s_obs28-article_image.jpeg

I saw that you all ready have made a Magnavox Odyssey! but I grew up playing the magnavox odyssey 2 that is quite different in shape as the First odyssey. I thought you might consider doing this one as well in the future.
http://gamester81.com/wp-content/uploads/061708_consoles70s_obs28-article_image.jpeg

I didn't think anyone else remembered those lol. I got one in a trade here on the site. There's so many great retro systems out there. Sadly some of them are so rare that the only way to find them is if miniatures are made.

http://gamester81.com/wp-content/uploads/061708_consoles70s_obs28-article_image.jpeg

I definitely have considered it! I have one of the Odyseey 2 consoles as well (I'm a bit of a collector, hence my obsession with them and making tiny versions of them all). There are so many I'm just going to keep going until I get sick of them so I'm bound to get to the Odyssey 2 at some point. Initially I was staying away from consoles with a lot of print on them (easier to model stray bits of text into the surface to paint later than to model lots of small details) but after doing the Coleco Vision and Intellivision, I've come to realize that it's just a matter of printing out tiny labels to be applied to the surface - as long it's a solid shape (much like the metal plates glued into recesses on the surface of old systems) and not a decal needing transparency, it works.

*Also, I'm been going back through the models and creating high res renders - they've now been replaced throughout the thread.*

Last edited:
I definitely have considered it! I have one of the Odyseey 2 consoles as well (I'm a bit of a collector, hence my obsession with them and making tiny versions of them all). There are so many I'm just going to keep going until I get sick of them so I'm bound to get to the Odyssey 2 at some point. Initially I was staying away from consoles with a lot of print on them (easier to model stray bits of text into the surface to paint later than to model lots of small details) but after doing the Coleco Vision and Intellivision, I've come to realize that it's just a matter of printing out tiny labels to be applied to the surface - as long it's a solid shape (much like the metal plates glued into recesses on the surface of old systems) and not a decal needing transparency, it works.

Also, I'm been going back through the models and creating high res renders. I'm not going to post them all but here's the Virtual Boy again, with the better resolution:

View attachment 413839

Not sure how big your collection is but if you need detailed photos of a system drop me a line, i have shelves of them with the earliest being a Sears/telegames Superpong system. I just realized you're from PA too, did you know there's a vintage gaming convention in pittsburgh? i found out about it way too late this year.

Not sure how big your collection is but if you need detailed photos of a system drop me a line, i have shelves of them with the earliest being a Sears/telegames Superpong system. I just realized you're from PA too, did you know there's a vintage gaming convention in pittsburgh? i found out about it way too late this year.

Awesome, thanks for the offer! I'll let you know. You wouldn't happen to have a Sega SG-1000 would you? They're pretty hard to come by, and the last few I saw were outrageously priced on eBay.

Also, Gameboy Color!

nintendoGameBoyColor.JPG

Game Boy Light!

For this one, I'm planning to get a blue glow in the dark paint (that is transparent in the light) and paint it over the surface of the screen so it glows! Let's see if the printed image below will show up any better than on the original system!

nintendoGameBoyLight.JPG

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back