Star Trek Beyond

Re: New STAR TREK 3

Yeah, I don't see JJ having the time to direct this and I see SW 7 in 2014 and new Trek in 2015 for the 50th.

alright your points are valid. I do hope that CBS/Paramount do some sort of televised special with the cast for the 50th. Maybe something adjacent to, but not tied in with the movie.

The problem with new Trek is that they don't even play by their rules. "Look we've rebooted the universe, there is so much to explore now, so much NEW stuff we can do....we....we....we'll have KIRK die saving the Enterprsie and have SPOCK shout Kaaaaaaaahhhhhhnnnnnnn!"

"Genius! We really are making a brand NEW Trek!"

I don't even think TOS played by its rules all of the time.

I don't know if anyone else on here is listening to the Mission Log podcast from Nerdist/Roddenberry.com, but they're going over every piece of filmed ST in release order, starting with TOS, critically analyzing each episode and trying to make sense of Trek canon as we know it. If you look at an episode like A Piece of the Action (you know, 20's gangsters, IN SPACE!), how is one really going to say that the Prime Directive wasn't broken? Return of the Archons anybody?

As a TOS fan and long time supporter of Trek I can say with the strongest conviction I have zero desire to go back to old Trek. It's time for Trek to. Be knew and that is exactly what JJ created and I am grateful for it. Those that wish to return to the past are wishing for is franchise to die. Period, end of story.

The Trek JJ created will vanish anyway so I'm not worried. The cast and creators will go on to other things, the series will be rebooted again, and we can all go through this nonsense again. :lol

Given their love of re-doing old stories, what's the bet that they'll at least consider doing something with whales? I mean, they bypassed doing a "search for kirk" by reviving him with magic (or somesuch, whatever it was, it wasn't science or sensible). So it's either remake Voyage Home or... "God" help us... Final Frontier... :eek

what's the bet? Slim to none.

STID was not a "redone" Wrath of Khan. If anything, it was a re-done "Space Seed," but even then, not really. I do not consider a story where the characters have completely separate goals and motivations a "re-do."

You guys really need to get over the whole "un-original" thing. Not only is that criticism unoriginal in and of itself, it doesn't even make sense.

At this point, I'm done with the combination of Abrams, Lindelof, and Trek. Someone else might be able to make something good with the current actors, but if Bad Robot is involved, nu-Trek 3 will probably join The Motion Picture* as the only Treks I didn't see in the theater.

*I did see it as part of the Star Trek Marathon just before Undiscovered Country came out, but not in its original release.

what's the bet? Slim to none.

STID was not a "redone" Wrath of Khan. If anything, it was a re-done "Space Seed," but even then, not really. I do not consider a story where the characters have completely separate goals and motivations a "re-do."

You guys really need to get over the whole "un-original" thing. Not only is that criticism unoriginal in and of itself, it doesn't even make sense.
They're gonna whine no matter. If Roddenberry had been risen from the grave, hand selected the cast, wrote and made these movies and they woulda loved them.

sounds like Zach is full of wishful thinking - Paramount had two big films they counted on this Summer and neither did what they wanted - According to two people who oversaw this reboot this whole thing is mothballed for the foreseeable future.

I was struck recently by this passage from Philip K Dick's 'Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said':

No wonder, he thought, some people, many people, longed for death.
"You want to go watch a captain kirk*?"
"Whatever," he said, briefly.
"There's a good one on at Cinema Twelve. It's set on a planet in the Betelgeuse System - a lot like Tarberg's Planet - you know, in the Proxima System. Only in the captain kirk it's inhabited by minions of an invisible -"
"I saw it," he said. As a matter of fact, a year ago he had had Jeff Pomeroy, who played the captain kirk in the picture, on his show; they had even run a short scene: the usual flick-plugging, you-visit-us-deal with Pomeroy's studio. He had not liked it then, and he doubted he would like it now. And he detested Jeff Pomeroy, both on and off the screen. And that, as far as he was concerned, was that.
"It really wasn't any good?" inquired Kathy, trustingly.

Dick's fatigue with an infinitely-drawn out Trek franchise is palpable and hilarious. And he was writing in 1974 - with the original show long-cancelled, and before the first movie. But, as ever, the guy could predict the grim future!

*Dick's deliberate lack of capitals.

Last edited:

sounds like Zach is full of wishful thinking - Paramount had two big films they counted on this Summer and neither did what they wanted - According to two people who oversaw this reboot this whole thing is mothballed for the foreseeable future.

Which would make his comment all the more curious.

Which would make his comment all the more curious.

Bry my friend - he's an actor. He loves the steady work of playing a known character - I was once told "Actors, out of all of Hollywood, are the closest to being like you or I in the sense that a lack of work or bad choices puts them on the other side of the red rope at the oscars.

Quinto is also saying JJ is directing - I think he's busy.

They're gonna whine no matter. If Roddenberry had been risen from the grave, hand selected the cast, wrote and made these movies and they woulda loved them.

Not so much. I look at how Spielberg and Lucas effed up Indiana Jones, the original creators totally trashed their creation and that
was with some original actors. I actually support recasting to save that franchise.

Roddenberry would not have created such empty drivel. What Gene may have done today might have been boring to many, but
he would have tried to make people think.

Bry my friend - he's an actor. He loves the steady work of playing a known character - I was once told "Actors, out of all of Hollywood, are the closest to being like you or I in the sense that a lack of work or bad choices puts them on the other side of the red rope at the oscars.

Quinto is also saying JJ is directing - I think he's busy.

Understood, and I agree I just can't imagine JJ being able to direct considering. Maybe Bad Robot can get a producing credit. And I would think if Paramount wants to do another film a 2016 release date to coincide with the 50 year anniversary might make more sense.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back