Skyrim Daedric Armor - Foam Build (COMPLETE! Pic Heavy)

have you watched the new captain america movie i really like the winter soldier i was thinking of doing the mask as a first build i am still researching and gathering all the tools i need to do a proper job

My first full set of armor that i want to create is the Guyver suit i found a nice foam template on JFcustom's thread (Thanx JF) but i am still new to cosplay and armor making and seeing your first attempt gave me hope i am printing some of the pieces tomorrow to test fit :)

This foam build is truly a work of art, is this the first time, and if not, then what other projects have you done? I have always thought about hand painting but the patience just isn't there, though for the look, I would have to agree that it is much better than spray or air brushing it. How did you make the paint look so nice and hide the streaks? use a smaller brush?

This foam build is truly a work of art, is this the first time, and if not, then what other projects have you done? I have always thought about hand painting but the patience just isn't there, though for the look, I would have to agree that it is much better than spray or air brushing it. How did you make the paint look so nice and hide the streaks? use a smaller brush?

Thank you very much! Yes this was my first armor, and first time working with foam.
I think using a softer brush helped hide the streaks better. Also I used multiple layers of gloss varnish over the paint which smoothed it out more. The paint I used seemed to level out pretty well also, so brush strokes was not a big issue.

Boris, could you explain in detail the painting process you used? You sealed with mod podge, and after that, you used spray paint? How you did the weathered effect? Thanks

Boris, could you explain in detail the painting process you used? You sealed with mod podge, and after that, you used spray paint? How you did the weathered effect? Thanks

I used no spray paint, everything was hand brushed. To summarize, my process was this:

1. After finalizing all the foam and hot glue details, I seal with mod podge (5 coats)
2. paint everything with black acrylic paint (not sure if this was necessary, but I liked having everything the same color prior to painting details, and I like to believe it acted as a primer layer)
3. painted on the rough texture, I used Golden brand Glass Bead Gel acrylic medium mixed with black paint to create the reflective sandpaper-like texture.
4. painted the metallic pieces using gunmetal and gloss metallic colors.
5. I then weathered the armor using the "brush on and rub off" method. Basically you brush on watered down black paint and then use a wet paper towel to rub off the paint prior to it drying completely. The paint remains in the crevices and makes the armor look weathered and dirty. It can take a couple rounds to get it looking just right.
6. finally I used a couple layers of gloss acrylic varnish over all the paint to both protect as well as give it a gloss shine.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or want to know specifics.

You pretty much answered everything :)

Another thing, on the beginning of the topic, you said you made a seam on the arms. How did you ended up attaching them?

You pretty much answered everything :)

Another thing, on the beginning of the topic, you said you made a seam on the arms. How did you ended up attaching them?

If you mean the seams under the arms, I used Velkro hidden under foam straps to connect the chest piece at those points

Awesome work Boris, I actually started building the helmet using the Pep method. I am seriously considering doing the torso in foam to keep it a bit more flexible. Would you mind if i got a copy of the files that you modified for foam please?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back