Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Too cool, red toggle and everything.

I think Dan was facing a lot of challenges with the shop that made his replicas. Obviously they did not handle the individual parts to RPF standards but lucky them we were all going to weather the metal anyway. Looking at the one I have I would say they may have over softened the edges of the grip rings. This could be an explanation for why there's not as much apparent individual variation in the thickness. This can be overcome by painting a little past the edge or masking accordingly. Maybe their tolerances were off slightly on the pommel cuts and we lost a few microns on that step. Unfortunate realities of the production process.

I could nitpick all day, and where else but here? But it's important to remember that any replica is a best guess with the available reference. I'm not sure if we should give the owner Brandon a standing ovation or a black eye. It's great to know it still exists but now that it's out there why not share a little more? Regardless of our favorite hilt's future appearances it is a wonderful thing to hold a hollow replica with all the right rotating parts.

A stunt hilt that is really the hero with a pedigree back to the first film, that finally shows up in original condition after all these years... it's a special thing. What if Luke has this version in the new film?

These look fantastic! I finished mine off AFB with the nipple and pommel free of paint, as well as the rings. I used satin black (Rustoleum) and got as much covered on the first coat. I let it dry for over a day and then quickly took the paint off the rings with some sandpaper. I'll get a pic up soon but I'm ecstatic over how it looks :) Also, my clamp needed a bit more filing inside and now It comes off no problem. I'll add pics soon, thanks again everyone

These look fantastic! I finished mine off AFB with the nipple and pommel free of paint, as well as the rings. I used satin black (Rustoleum) and got as much covered on the first coat. I let it dry for over a day and then quickly took the paint off the rings with some sandpaper. I'll get a pic up soon but I'm ecstatic over how it looks :) Also, my clamp needed a bit more filing inside and now It comes off no problem. I'll add pics soon, thanks again everyone

Cant wait to see the outcome!

Here it is! I'd like to weather it naturally just by handling it and dropping it haha it rattles just like the real thing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    819.6 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 173
It's hard to believe the story about this saber is not known from the man himself, Mark Hamill. I know he is not as interested in props as us weirdos but this is not a little detail and was obviously going to be part of the story as this "New Saber" is anything but.

I have asked about it here and other places and no one seems to know the story. It's too beat up to believe it was just used as a stunt fill in for the later hero. It had to be part of the story.

I always assumed, as others have, that the idea is he built this out of spare parts in Ben's old house.

What is weird is after so many people know and have met him, not to mention signing the V2 for MR, I am surprised no one ever got the story from him.

Word.

:)

Tom

I think you're overthinking it. :lol Mark Hamill rightly doesn't know the prop's history because he's an actor, he's all about bringing a character to the screen; why would he care about a prop that the production would hand him one when he needed one?

"Luke needs a laser sword, the other got lost in a well."

"Let's just use one we've already got on hand."

Done.

Done? Not quite ... here's how this conversation continued :

Mark : 'What's this black wire sticking out on the side?'

Dude (clips off wire and chucks a piece of metal junk in the remaining hole) : 'Stop whining Mark ... here ya go ... happy now?'

Mark : 'That looks even worse but it'll have to do for now I suppose ...' shouts to George 'Tomorrow with Vader on the AT-AT
bridge ... I want a proper lightsaber, okay?'

:lol

Chaim

No, no.

Crew member-"Here is a beat up piece of crap left over that is your newly built lightsaber."

Mark Hamill-"WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you insane. WHO WOULD EVER WANT TO EVER OWN THIS IN THEIR PROP COLLECTION :lol:lol:lol:D:D:D"

Crew member-Okay let's say you made it out of spare parts.

Mark Hamill-"Okay, Tom will like that."

Seriously this is not a tiny detail like the missing red button on his saber during one of a thousand takes on the Dagobah set. This is a major prop and I really think it was part of the story.

No, no.

Crew member-"Here is a beat up piece of crap left over that is your newly built lightsaber."

Mark Hamill-"WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you insane. WHO WOULD EVER WANT TO EVER OWN THIS IN THEIR PROP COLLECTION :lol:lol:lol:D:D:D"

Crew member-Okay let's say you made it out of spare parts.

Mark Hamill-"Okay, Tom will like that."

Seriously this is not a tiny detail like the missing red button on his saber during one of a thousand takes on the Dagobah set. This is a major prop and I really think it was part of the story.

The problem is that when the deleted scene was finally shown of Luke building his new saber, it includes Luke making the ISYHCANLS (or "hero") version of the saber, and not the beatup V2. The shiny new "hero" was made for two closeup scenes, the bridge scene with Vader AND the construction scene. So in-universe, it does indeed seem to be the story that Luke built a new-looking saber, and we are just supposed not to notice that in every other scene this beat up one is staring at us.

Also, consider Vader's line when the closeup of the shiny hero appears: "I see you have CONSTRUCTED a NEW lightsaber." If the in-universe story was that Luke had simply assembled a replacement from available old beat-up leftover parts, I don't think Vader would have been as impressed with Luke's skills or even remarked specifically on them making his total skill-set as a Jedi complete. If he did say something, I could see it being: "I see you have ASSEMBLED another saber...and it's pretty shoddy looking, if you ask me. Btw, when you're finally able to actually make your own from scratch like I did, call me, 'cause that's when you'll be a Jedi." [mic drop] :D

I would love for the in-universe version of the saber to be the beat-up V2, with the logical explanation that it was made from leftover parts, since that is my favorite version, but the deleted scene showing the hero being constructed, and vader specifically referring to Luke's skills in constructing a new saber while an insert shot of the shiny hero appears just kind of kills it.

The problem is that when the deleted scene was finally shown of Luke building his new saber, it includes Luke making the ISYHCANLS (or "hero") version of the saber, and not the beatup V2. The shiny new "hero" was made for two closeup scenes, the bridge scene with Vader AND the construction scene. So in-universe, it does indeed seem to be the story that Luke built a new-looking saber, and we are just supposed not to notice that in every other scene this beat up one is staring at us.

Also, consider Vader's line when the closeup of the shiny hero appears: "I see you have CONSTRUCTED a NEW lightsaber." If the in-universe story was that Luke had simply assembled a replacement from available old beat-up leftover parts, I don't think Vader would have been as impressed with Luke's skills or even remarked specifically on them making his total skill-set as a Jedi complete. If he did say something, I could see it being: "I see you have ASSEMBLED another saber...and it's pretty shoddy looking, if you ask me. Btw, when you're finally able to actually make your own from scratch like I did, call me, 'cause that's when you'll be a Jedi." [mic drop] :D

I would love for the in-universe version of the saber to be the beat-up V2, with the logical explanation that it was made from leftover parts, since that is my favorite version, but the deleted scene showing the hero being constructed, and vader specifically referring to Luke's skills in constructing a new saber while an insert shot of the shiny hero appears just kind of kills it.

First :D:lol:lol:D The mic drop is the icing on the cake.

Yeah, I figured the Cave scene and close up of Vader were decided on later as they were both filmed after principal filming had been done and they just changed their minds at that point and hoped no one would notice the beat up piece of,...really cool prop. When he talks of a new lightsaber it's in the close up afterword.

Kinda like the Rambo 3 knife in the mine field scene. DID YOU THINK WE WOULD NOT NOTICE SLY,...DID YOU???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:lol

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone had ever asked Mark? See what I did there, I used just his first name to imply I know him.

Tom

Finished repainting/re-weathering mine, and decided to tackle a custom .45 scale version of this! Used an MR Luke ROTJ and ESB clamp. D ring from a MR .45 Vader. Got the knurled knob 3-d printed in .45 scale and custom made the square detail piece.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 255
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    972.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
What paint is generally thought to use... the tutorial was talking flat black, which I may PREFER, but is that likely what it would be done with? or we talking gloss?... satin?

What paint is generally thought to use... the tutorial was talking flat black, which I may PREFER, but is that likely what it would be done with? or we talking gloss?... satin?

I used Satin. It has the sheen we're looking for but its still slightly dull so it wont throw back light.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back