Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Re: Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber- based on the new info from SWCA

@roygilsing

I dunno. There's something about the shape that doesn't do it for me. In the new pics, I'm seeing more a curve to the body shape and towards the end it really thins at the end and there's more of a lip.

Thanks for sharing these images. Some I hadn't seen before. You are right. I will modify the shape accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

That is a good starting point but needs a few tweaks, mainly nuance like the slight flair at the end, and a thiner profile to the end.
Also, with all due respect to Sym-Cha, he is a prolific and helpful poster, but his approval is not a selling point to me.
Hi all,

Today I spend some time on the lever design. I used some of my CAD magic to determine the correct shape and size according to new and old v2 pics. Of course I also read almost all of the 42 pages of the other v2 thread �� LOL! (@Scottjua: no more tooth!)
I will now try to find out various manufacturing techniques for a run of 100 or more and find out what the price will be. Material for the lever is unclear for now, I hope stainless steel is possible, but what do you think?

And I wonder about the screw and nut: maybe it's possible to get them from Roman's (as used in his replica clamp assembly), I will send him a message, since that screw is correct and already exists. Which would mean I can focus on the lever itself. Unless any of you has another good solution for the screw/nut? It's a 1/8" threaded eye bolt (swing bolt, lag screw, whatever is the proper name) and a square/rectangular nut.

So here are some images I made.
They are already approved by Master Chaim!!

So please let me know what you guys think and if I can proceed.

View attachment 473912 View attachment 473913
View attachment 473914 View attachment 473915

I think in the last picture I can see that the lever is asymmetrical. More swing on the right side ( in this picture) than on the left (left side seems to be straight).

Do you see the same things I think I can see? :confused

@roygilsing

I dunno. There's something about the shape that doesn't do it for me. In the new pics, I'm seeing more a curve to the body shape and towards the end it really thins out where there's more of a lip.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=468800&d=1429906661

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=468804&d=1429906661

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=468807&d=1429906661

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=468805&d=1429906661

I think in the last picture I can see that the lever is asymmetrical. More swing on the right side ( in this picture) than on the left (left side seems to be straight).

Do you see the same things I think I can see? :confused

It could just be perspective and the angle the saber is laying at, but, it may very well be asymmetric with more of a curve on one side. The world may never know (except for one).

I have a feeling there might be a dent or two in the real lever causing that tooth thing, I saw it too, totally eating my hat!

roy that's awesome work! The only thing I see is a thinner area near the tip, and the ridge where the lever touches the clamp (the side towards the rest of the lever) looks more oval/round, but that's just my eyes. The usual set up is a threaded rod, that ends in a smooth section with a pin that goes through the rod and clamp lever holes. I have a screw from JamesKenobi for my SRS saber that's the same threading as a graflex, but I'm not sure what it is.

I have a feeling there might be a dent or two in the real lever causing that tooth thing, I saw it too, totally eating my hat!

roy that's awesome work! The only thing I see is a thinner area near the tip, and the ridge where the lever touches the clamp (the side towards the rest of the lever) looks more oval/round, but that's just my eyes. The usual set up is a threaded rod, that ends in a smooth section with a pin that goes through the rod and clamp lever holes. I have a screw from JamesKenobi for my SRS saber that's the same threading as a graflex, but I'm not sure what it is.

I investigated the threaded screw/bolt (swing/eye bolt) today. It's a 1/8" bolt with #5-40 thread. I'm not so familiar with the Imperial system ;)
Thanks for the shape input. I'll update the shape and place new images.

So would it be accurate to say the clamp on the V2 was entirely covered in chrome tape, like the OWK in ANH? And had the narrow chrome tape just covering the lettering by ROTJ? Honestly, I can see the narrow tape in some pics, but not most. Even in ROTJ it looks entirely covered except in a few shots.

So would it be accurate to say the clamp on the V2 was entirely covered in chrome tape, like the OWK in ANH? And had the narrow chrome tape just covering the lettering by ROTJ? Honestly, I can see the narrow tape in some pics, but not most. Even in ROTJ it looks entirely covered except in a few shots.

The clamp on the v2 had no chrome tape at all. I have a production photo where you can read the writing

With the low quality pics we have. I think that is you see writing at all, it must mean no tape. If there was any tape at all, I think the writing would be invisible.

Dan

I think the tape theory might've come from this PoSW pic:
v2tape.jpg

Here's the same frame from a 1080p rip:
v2tape2.jpg

But I think it's just a highlight on the lever because it's gone in the next frame:
v2tape3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And you can definitely see writing in the Ewok Village press still.

Yeah, that's the PoSW pic that had me thinking there was the tape. Cool, appreciate the images kurtyboy. Now if Roman would get lettered clamps back in stock... :)

Is it safe to say that no one (certainly not Master Replicas) has ever gotten this saber completely right? There are at least 10 new things in just this thread...

You know what, Roy, I think this "thinner" thing everyone is seeing might be that the tip of the lever has a bit of a sharper flick up than in your model.

Edit: It's already been said, never mind haha

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back