STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

They don't necessarily orbit together though.

image.png

It did and while Maul recognized the location at the time, Ezra did not. I think one of the Ghost crew even told Ezra that there's a lot of plants out there with twin suns. Suddenly Ezra not only knows the name of the planet, but how to get there.

It did and while Maul recognized the location at the time, Ezra did not. I think one of the Ghost crew even told Ezra that there's a lot of plants out there with twin suns. Suddenly Ezra not only knows the name of the planet, but how to get there.

maybe he got the info throuh mauls mind with the holocron at the start of the show.

maul was already there.

but yeah, it needed to be explained.

When they first fought Obi-Wan was still a Padawan. All he has been through made him change and grow. Maul OTOH with his mind set on revenge didn't grow and that's why he went out in 3 strikes, This was perfect.

I watched it again tonight. I'm still not sure why maul needed Ezra. Why was Ezra able to find Kenobi but maul was not?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wow... Not what I was expecting, but very good nonetheless. I agree that the first half seemed a little drawn out, but I was fully invested in the overall story.

I appreciated Obi-wan's post-kill behavior. The way that he comforted Maul & eased his passing seemed totally appropriate, rather than standing over him as he died.

the last bit would have been fan service too :)

if you go that route, i'd rather see him communicating with yoda planning out the future and their latest course of action :)

Yes.It would have been fanservice, but not in that 'memberberries/blue milk sort of way.

Personally, there are different types of fan service. There's the kind that winks at the general audience. (like having Doctor evizan and Ponda Baba on Jeddha hours before it blows up) and then there's the kind that connects elements in the space opera. (saw gerrera's appearance. The ghost in the final battle)

Having a short radio conversation between bail and obi wan would have eliminated any other discussion about what the rebels know about kenobi. It even would have cleared up some stuff with rogue one. It would have been cleaner.

As it is, it's now bizarre that Ezra didn't (and won't) tell the others (including rex) that Kenobi is alive. And that doesn't sit very naturally.

When they first fought Obi-Wan was still a Padawan. All he has been through made him change and grow. Maul OTOH with his mind set on revenge didn't grow and that's why he went out in 3 strikes, This was perfect.

Agreed. Ezra came to warn Kenobi but as Kenobi even noted...."About Maul?" "One doesn't survive as long as I have by being foolish or unprepared."

This is Kenobi we are talking about. While significantly older now, so is Maul.

Maul is driven by blind rage for vengeance.

Kenobi is calm and prepared.

He also fought and beat Anakin/Vader in a duel. Maul was quickly dispatched as he should have been by Kenobi.

Personally, there are different types of fan service. There's the kind that winks at the general audience. (like having Doctor evizan and Ponda Baba on Jeddha hours before it blows up) and then there's the kind that connects elements in the space opera. (saw gerrera's appearance. The ghost in the final battle)

Do we really want all this fan service though. Most of it is just to make a connection, in some way, to the OT as if thats what makes it Star Wars. Fair enough if it makes sense but not for the sake of it. All that is needed, IMO, is continuity of SW 'history' and no contradiction of what is already known (obviously I'm ignoring those created by the PT). All the 'fan service', Easter eggs and winks to the audience is distracting me from enjoying these films and tv shows more. Yeah, I like the detail in the background (like in ROTJ when Chewie pulls a rebel out of the fray by the scruff of his neck) but not when I'm constantly scanning the screen for some detail that points to another part of SW. Basically, Disney's obsession with the 'shared universe ' concept is stifling creativity. Just come up with something new then run it by Leeland Chee and Pablo Hidalgo for continuity and stop second guessing the fans.

Rant over.

yeah. that's why I don't get all this gaga for Rogue One. just like episode 7 before it, it's just one giant throwback of memba berries.

if that is all star wars is going to be now, i'm happy with what we've got.

I've gone on before on how silly it is that Maul was resurrected, but taking that as a given and watching this episode on its own merits...

...I liked it.

I love the brevity of the fight, for reasons others have already stated. Like a Kurosawa duel.

Nice model of Obi-Wan's saber. Although weird side of clamp (no lever) and the bubbles are flat artwork. Picky picky :)

A long-distance view of the Lars farm was perfect. This is from Obi-Wan's POV, and he rarely has a closer look---and it makes the point about why he's here and not off fighting.

Beru's lines are right out of ANH, not alts. From the stereo and 6-track mixes. Mono had a different voice.

I agree Ezra shouldn't even be in the episode at all. And, once again, insubordination and loss of valuable war materiel goes unpunished.

Going back one episode:
I'm fine with occasional lighter episodes giving us a break from gloomy tone, but..... there is a fine line between having a character annoy other characters and having a character annoy the AUDIENCE. They crossed WAY over that line. I want to crush AP-5. Threepio was NEVER this irritating, and his bickering with Artoo was never this mean or lasted as long for any particular stretch on screen.

Do we really want all this fan service though. Most of it is just to make a connection, in some way, to the OT as if thats what makes it Star Wars. Fair enough if it makes sense but not for the sake of it. All that is needed, IMO, is continuity of SW 'history' and no contradiction of what is already known (obviously I'm ignoring those created by the PT). All the 'fan service', Easter eggs and winks to the audience is distracting me from enjoying these films and tv shows more. Yeah, I like the detail in the background (like in ROTJ when Chewie pulls a rebel out of the fray by the scruff of his neck) but not when I'm constantly scanning the screen for some detail that points to another part of SW. Basically, Disney's obsession with the 'shared universe ' concept is stifling creativity. Just come up with something new then run it by Leeland Chee and Pablo Hidalgo for continuity and stop second guessing the fans.

Rant over.
I completely agree.

However, I do like bits that complete the universe a bit. Like I said, I had no problem that saw gurerra was known to the rebellion. I would assume that after order 66, they took stock of allies. That makes a lot of sense.

Lando having an appearance on rebels? Not so much....

Makes me wonder if Obi Wan could have killed Vader, but didn't because he knew Luke would have to.

Lucas said in an interview years ago (SW Insider maybe) that Obi Wan could have easily defeated Vader in ANH, but that was not his mission. He could help Luke better from the Force. I don't think they really explained the "I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" thing in the movies. I guess appearing to you anywhere to talk is more powerful?

Lucas said in an interview years ago (SW Insider maybe) that Obi Wan could have easily defeated Vader in ANH, but that was not his mission. He could help Luke better from the Force. I don't think they really explained the "I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" thing in the movies. I guess appearing to you anywhere to talk is more powerful?
Absolutely.

And retcon or not, the reveal that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker makes Ben's death an incredibly powerful decision.

Probably one of the greatest in film history.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back