STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

and his screen time has been next to nothing. might as well not having there at all.
and that goofy dracula like theme song doesn't make him serious, makes him like 'who is this clown?'
Yes. Like everything on rebels, it's relying on other people's work to do the heavy lifting for them. (Lucas, the clone wars, the EU and mcquarrie)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Love the AT-DP and the helmets for same, love the Gozanti light cruisers, love the Ghost, love the Lothcat...

I also love the McQuarrie and Johnston concept art inspirations for the Mandos, love the canon inclusion of the old Kenner-created Imperial Troop Transport, and so on. It is, to me, in the best movie tradition to take unused concepts and find appropriate places for them later in production. I'm glad, for instance, Chewbacca evolved away from the initial design, but that design wasn't bad -- just not suitable for the character being developed. Now, I think it fits perfectly for Zeb, and I can't imagine him any other way. Maybe it's fan service, but it's done well. And people who aren't familiar with the OT concept art or the old Kenner toys (yes, they exist) won't notice anything at all.

I think my only grump is Thrawn having the Chimaera, when he originally didn't have that ship until he got back from the Unknown Regions and took it for his flagship. Some change-for-change's-sake bugs me. If Dave wanted to get that ship into canon, save it for the next show, or the one after. Something where you can show it was at Endor and survived and Pellaeon took command after the Captain was killed amd all that. It was a good backstory, and doesn't, I feel, need to be messed with.

--Jonah

getting intense, can anyone school me on the canon history of the jedi vs mandalorian war?

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you interested in Thrawn, the first synopsis of the upcoming novel has been released by the publisher.

9780345511270.jpg

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/223651/thrawn-star-wars-by-timothy-zahn/9780345511270/

[h=4]ABOUT THRAWN (STAR WARS)[/h]In this definitive novel, readers will follow Thrawn’s rise to power—uncovering the events that created one of the most iconic villains in Star Wars history.

One of the most cunning and ruthless warriors in the history of the Galactic Empire, Grand Admiral Thrawn is also one of the most captivating characters in the Star Wars universe, from his introduction in bestselling author Timothy Zahn’s classic Heir to the Empire, through his continuing adventures in Dark Force Rising, The Last Command, and beyond. But Thrawn’s origins and the story of his rise in the Imperial ranks have remained mysterious. Now, in Star Wars: Thrawn, Timothy Zahn chronicles the fateful events that launched the blue-skinned, red-eyed master of military strategy and lethal warfare into the highest realms of power—and infamy.

After Thrawn is rescued from exile by Imperial soldiers, his deadly ingenuity and keen tactical abilities swiftly capture the attention of Emperor Palpatine. And just as quickly, Thrawn proves to be as indispensable to the Empire as he is ambitious; as devoted as its most loyal servant, Darth Vader; and a brilliant warrior never to be underestimated. On missions to rout smugglers, snare spies, and defeat pirates, he triumphs time and again—even as his renegade methods infuriate superiors while inspiring ever greater admiration from the Empire. As one promotion follows another in his rapid ascension to greater power, he schools his trusted aide, Ensign Eli Vanto, in the arts of combat and leadership, and the secrets of claiming victory. But even though Thrawn dominates the battlefield, he has much to learn in the arena of politics where ruthless administrator Arihnda Pryce holds the power to be a potent ally or a brutal enemy.

All these lessons will be put to the ultimate test when Thrawn rises to admiral—and must pit all the knowledge, instincts, and battle forces at his command against an insurgent uprising that threatens not only innocent lives but also the Empire’s grip on the galaxy—and his own carefully laid plans for future ascendancy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen new episode and I liked it but I think it will be a turn off for those who think action = good. i think the deep character development toward a larger story is going to go over their heads. But a really good Sabine episode and Kanan episode as well.

Something else that seems like it will play into future episodes and I am interested to see how...

The Bendu made and appearance and overheard Sabine's plight.

I have seen new episode and I liked it but I think it will be a turn off for those who think action = good. i think the deep character development toward a larger story is going to go over their heads. But a really good Sabine episode and Kanan episode as well.

Something else that seems like it will play into future episodes and I am interested to see how...

ill report back tonight after i see it

action is fine..
but nothing beats good character development. about time sabine got some attention.

zeb was practically ignored all season.

action is fine..
but nothing beats good character development. about time sabine got some attention.

zeb was practically ignored all season.
The gold standard is character development within action. Both the OT and Stargate SG-1 were incredible at this. The clone wars was pretty darn good too

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'm really glad they are bringing Timothy Zahn back to write SW!!! I was fearing that they were only wanting new authors for the new stuff. I'm just wondering how long he waited before he asked about bringing Mara back in?

I'm really glad they are bringing Timothy Zahn back to write SW!!! I was fearing that they were only wanting new authors for the new stuff. I'm just wondering how long he waited before he asked about bringing Mara back in?

just so long as they let him do his thing on his own and how he wants. these new authors writing star wars just aren't for me. i never have to buy another chuck weddig novel again, that's for sure. ;o).

not a bad episode, i enjoyed seeing Kanan training Sabine. also liked the bendu! i have to agree with you MJF, i think the bendu is going to have a much larger role in the future

I thought it was a great episode. Was very pleased with the development they gave both Sabine and Kanan. Sabine is definitely one of my favorite characters from this show so it's nice to see her getting more background.

I really like the bendu. Probably one of my favorite bits of rebels.

Too bad the writers are as subtle as a slap in the face with a dead fish. When she kicked the rock I immediately thought, "that looks like a toe or a finger".

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

Too bad the writers are as subtle as a slap in the face with a dead fish. When she kicked the rock I immediately thought, "that looks like a toe or a finger".

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC
I agree. That was the worst bit of the entire thing.

If that was the worst, then they're doing a helluva job frankly.

I was hoping for bendu when they headed way out. Was disappointed it was only a glimpse. Anything for more Tom Baker :)

Also caught the owls swooping in to watch the training too.
It just felt clumsy. As if there was a scene between the bendu and Sabine that we missed

I still think it was the best episode yet.

Now..What they need to do is follow it up with some equally well written action.

If this was the clone wars, then this would be a three episode arc. The next episode would be about a small imperial garrison stumbling onto chopper base. Rather than waiting for thrawn, they would go ahead and invade. The whole episode would take place on chopper base and would end with Kanan discovering this.

The third episode would involve Kanan, Sabine and Ezra, rescuing them, lightsabers blazing. They manage to get their ships off the ground just as thrawn arrives and they escape with their lives.

Possibly, Sabine is injured in the process and she transforms into the warrior she needs to be

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back