STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

Padawans were commanders in a war and Padme led her planet. Youth is not much of a factor in the Star Wars universe. Ezra is part of an organization that trusts him to lead, be responsible, and be accountable. He has proven his value and his capabilities repeatedly and has earned the respect of those he serves with.

Its crazy that they've allowed a kid to show leadership qualities in a kids show:lol

J

No,....no I dont mean Star Wars,....I mean the cartoon,.....it's target audience is kids,.....Disney wants that audience

J

i understand that, but it just pulls me out of the show...

It's also mentioned in dialogue on the show that Ezra got to take the lead in that op because he was the one who got the tip in the first place, so they let him lead as a reward for a job well done. Plus, I think that they thought that the mission was probably going to be a milk run and safe enough to let Ezra take the lead, they obviously didn't expect things to south the way they did and once things did start to go south Ezra continued to take charge and seemed to be doing fine so why change? Given the circumstances, the worst thing that they could have done is to have sat Ezra down and said, one of us grown ups is in charge right, there was no time for that and trying to do so would have just wasted precious time.

heh... I just watched the recon and even with filoni's idea of the whale's being the idea behind hyper space travel I'm just not feeling it :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a bad episode as far as filler/stand alone episodes go though I did have a few problems with it, all technical and little to do with the plot. The first thing that bugged me was the fuel bit, not that they needed fuel but the idea that a starship works like any terrestrial vehicle be it car, plane, boat, or even submarine, they're in space, they don't need fuel to keep on moving, once they're moving they'll keep on moving at the same speed and direction, fuel only comes into play when they need to go faster, stop, or change directions. So realistically, all they needed was enough fuel to power their systems and either turn off their engines or set it on idle and just cruise using only enough fuel to change directions and stop. So while a lack of fuel is definitely a problem, it's not the same kind of problem as it is on a planet with gravity to slow you down.

The other thing that bothered me was that Ezra, Kanan, & Sabine could breathe on that planet with just their helmets. I understand that the Stormtrooper helmets are supposed to have a filtration system and there may be a small one on Ezra's cadet helmet, but neither Ezra's or Sabine's are fully sealed and I'm not sure that a TK bucket would seal without the neck seal that they normally wear with their armor. But even they could seal and they have excellent filtration, they don't provide oxygen, and just as importantly, don't protect the wearer from the vacuum of space, something they'd need standing out in space the way they were when they left the refinery.

While I'm nitpicking, did the blasts from the heavy blasters seem a little weak to anybody? Granted we haven't been shown much of heavy weaponry but you'd think something as large as the blaster cannons on the refinery would create a much larger blast than what they showed them to do. I'd think that one of those things would completely destroy most anything it hit below a certain size, something as relatively small like another blaster cannon I'd would be pretty well trashed and not just spark and fall over. But, as I said, just a nitpick really since the power, or lack thereof, really didn't affect the story any.

Not a bad episode as far as filler/stand alone episodes go though I did have a few problems with it, all technical and little to do with the plot. The first thing that bugged me was the fuel bit, not that they needed fuel but the idea that a starship works like any terrestrial vehicle be it car, plane, boat, or even submarine, they're in space, they don't need fuel to keep on moving, once they're moving they'll keep on moving at the same speed and direction, fuel only comes into play when they need to go faster, stop, or change directions. So realistically, all they needed was enough fuel to power their systems and either turn off their engines or set it on idle and just cruise using only enough fuel to change directions and stop. So while a lack of fuel is definitely a problem, it's not the same kind of problem as it is on a planet with gravity to slow you down.

They needed the gas to breath.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/purrgil

Purrgil required a specific green gas in order to breathe, which allowed them to travel great distances through the space.

- - - Updated - - -

The other thing that bothered me was that Ezra, Kanan, & Sabine could breathe on that planet with just their helmets. I understand that the Stormtrooper helmets are supposed to have a filtration system and there may be a small one on Ezra's cadet helmet, but neither Ezra's or Sabine's are fully sealed and I'm not sure that a TK bucket would seal without the neck seal that they normally wear with their armor. But even they could seal and they have excellent filtration, they don't provide oxygen, and just as importantly, don't protect the wearer from the vacuum of space, something they'd need standing out in space the way they were when they left the refinery.

The astroid had a breathable atmosphere but the Clouzon-36 needed to be filtered out.

http://www.starwars.com/tv-shows/star-wars-rebels/the-call-trivia-gallery

Last edited:
They needed the gas to breath.

They needed the gas to breath? You mean, breathe? Kind of sort, if you're talking about the Ghost, they didn't need the gas to breathe, they needed the fuel derived from the gas to power the Ghost's engine which in turn powered the life support which allows them to breathe. I understand that part, but they made it sound like as if they needed gas in the tank(s) to keep on moving when they don't since once they're moving they could turn off their engines and still move just as fast as they were before turning off the engine and never slow down so long as they don't run into anything. It's the same mistake that they make in a lot of sci-fi shows and movies, the writers forget that you don't need constant thrust in order to move in space, constant thrust only gets you constant acceleration, and unless you need to go faster keeping the engines on anything more than idle is a waste of fuel.

They needed the gas to breath? You mean, breathe? Kind of sort, if you're talking about the Ghost, they didn't need the gas to breathe, they needed the fuel derived from the gas to power the Ghost's engine which in turn powered the life support which allows them to breathe. I understand that part, but they made it sound like as if they needed gas in the tank(s) to keep on moving when they don't since once they're moving they could turn off their engines and still move just as fast as they were before turning off the engine and never slow down so long as they don't run into anything. It's the same mistake that they make in a lot of sci-fi shows and movies, the writers forget that you don't need constant thrust in order to move in space, constant thrust only gets you constant acceleration, and unless you need to go faster keeping the engines on anything more than idle is a waste of fuel.

I thought you were implying that the purrgil need the gas in order to travel. That they ran on fuel as ships do.

I thought you were implying that the purrgil need the gas in order to travel. That they ran on fuel as ships do.

No, I meant the Ghost. I can't really say anything about the purgil since they're a complete fictional species, though I do have to wonder how a biological organism could enter hyperspace all on its own. But if people can withstand the vacuum with nothing more that just a helmet and their regular clothes then why can't a giant space whale go into hyperspace.

- - - Updated - - -

heh... I just watched the recon and even with filoni's idea of the whale's being the idea behind hyper space travel I'm just not feeling it :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They weren't the idea behind hyperspace travel, they were, supposedly according to the stories/myths/legends, the reason why the Twi'leks went into space and travel amongst the stars. In other words, they were the reason why the Twi'leks developed space travel but not necessarily hyperspace travel.

Ok, I just watched the Recon and saw where Filoni mentions the idea that the purgil might have been the original inspiration for hyperspace travel. However, it's never mentioned on screen and even Filoni himself doesn't say that the purgil are absolutely the original inspiration behind hyperspace travel, just that they might be and it was an idea of his.

While on the subject of the Recon, what was said about the TIEs being horrible fighter because they were unstable is completely false. In fact, instability is something that you want in a fighter, it means that it's more maneuverable. All modern US fighters are inherently unstable, it's only thanks to computers and fly-by-wire control systems can you fly them at all; if you were to take out the flight control systems in, say, and F-22, you'd never be able to fly it at all, at least not in anything remotely resembling a straight line because the computer is making constant, minute adjustments to the trim settings to keep it steady. So a TIE that's unstable would be a fantastic fighter because it would be nimble, and be able to turn on a dime, this is, of course, so long as the flight control system compensates for the instability so that you're not constantly fighting the controls trying to keep it flying the way you want it to.

Last edited:
I stop trying to find reason/logic behind the Star Wars stuff.

Kanan being able to cut through an AT-AT leg like it was butter was ridiculous

The super weapon in The Force Awakens was ridiculous

I just go with the "a wizard did it" line of thought.

Star Wars has always been more fantasy than hard sci fi when it comes to how things work

I'd make the argument that TIE Fighters suck in atmosphere because with those wing panels they can only fly in a straight line with any reliability. That's my only real problem with the Jakku chase in TFA. In the OT, we only ever see TIEs operating in space, and I think we should stick with that, and have some other fighter -- even some new TIE variant -- for atmosphere combat. Maybe even go with one of the concept art pieces for TFA, where a TIE Fighter has it's wing panels folded flat at the midline for landing. Even that would be better for flying in atmosphere.

That's my rebuttal to Filoni. :p

--Jonah

While on the subject of the Recon, what was said about the TIEs being horrible fighter because they were unstable is completely false. In fact, instability is something that you want in a fighter, it means that it's more maneuverable. .

The didn't say the TIEs were unstable. They were referencing the modification of the clipped wings. What was actually said....

"...Problem is that because they cut off this piece of stabilizer, they're terrible at combat. So they're great if you're basically going to be going in a straight line and shooting something right in front of you. But if you are actually trying to hold it steady and hit something, their stabilizers are... are weak."

I do not know anything about fuel for fictional ships. I still need to think about what side my gas cap is on when I pull into a gas station but it would seem that fuel is important.

First off, if they say it is important, then it must be. We as fans must just come to grips with it. Second, I would have to believe that fuel is not just for propulsion but provide power to all other systems. Systems always on like environmental control, electronics, navigation, and navigational shielding. Then power to systems that are not always used but would use a lot of power such as weapons, full power to shields, and hyperspace. Not to mention fuel needed taking off and landing and any atmospheric flying.

Additionally, I would say that in the case of this fuel... a little goes a long way. They really did not steal a lot of tanks but it seemed to be a big deal. One could conclude that such a supply might support their rebel faction (and possibly others) for a decent amount of time. So it may not be like having to pump in a lot of fuel to a 737 and only make it from one coast to the other. This stuff seems to be potent in a small supply and last a long time.

I'd make the argument that TIE Fighters suck in atmosphere because with those wing panels they can only fly in a straight line with any reliability. That's my only real problem with the Jakku chase in TFA. In the OT, we only ever see TIEs operating in space, and I think we should stick with that, and have some other fighter -- even some new TIE variant -- for atmosphere combat. Maybe even go with one of the concept art pieces for TFA, where a TIE Fighter has its wing panels folded flat at the midline for landing. Even that would be better for flying in atmosphere.

That's my rebuttal to Filoni. :p

--Jonah

Yeah, those big panels on the side would really impede their maneuverability, I'd imagine that they'd create a whole heck of a lot of drag whenever they wanted to turn. But, if they could pivot them laterally I'd imagine that they could do some pretty impressive rudder maneuvers, with those panels acting as rudders I'd imagine that they could practically fly sideways.

The didn't say the TIEs were unstable. They were referencing the modification of the clipped wings. What was actually said....

You're right, they didn't say outright that they were unstable, just bad at trying to hold it steady and shooting at things, and that's the rub, you don't want a fighter that you can hold steady while shooting at things, you want something that's not steady, you want maneuverability. On second watching, I did realize that his statement was contradictory, on the one hand, they're great for shooting at things flying straight and in front of you, but on the other hand they aren't at holding steady and shooting at things in front of it, that's completely contradictory.

I do not know anything about fuel for fictional ships. I still need to think about what side my gas cap is on when I pull into a gas station but it would seem that fuel is important.

First off, if they say it is important, then it must be. We as fans must just come to grips with it. Second, I would have to believe that fuel is not just for propulsion but provide power to all other systems. Systems always on like environmental control, electronics, navigation, and navigational shielding. Then power to systems that are not always used but would use a lot of power such as weapons, full power to shields, and hyperspace. Not to mention fuel needed taking off and landing and any atmospheric flying.

Additionally, I would say that in the case of this fuel... a little goes a long way. They really did not steal a lot of tanks but it seemed to be a big deal. One could conclude that such a supply might support their rebel faction (and possibly others) for a decent amount of time. So it may not be like having to pump in a lot of fuel to a 737 and only make it from one coast to the other. This stuff seems to be potent in a small supply and last a long time.

I realize that the engines, like on most surface warships and subs, provide power for the entire ships and aren't just for propulsion. What I'm saying is that in space, fuel is less important for propulsion due to their being no gravity to slow you down, basically, in space you have automatic cruise control but once set you don't need anything more from the engine, where as in a car if you turn off the engine on cruise control you'll eventually slow down, in space once you're moving you can completely turn off your engines and you'll still keep on going and never slow down.This is something they get wrong in sci-fi a lot, not just Rebels.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back