ABCD - Any Body Can Dance ►Ganesh mask◄ 6mm FOAM

JFcustom

Sr Member
Hi everybody,
I must say I like following your builds in progress, and I often motivate everyone contacting me to open his own wip thread here. But in my hypocrisy it's something I rarely do myself... So here I come with my present occupation. Feel free to ask in this thread any question about this buitd, I'll do my best to reply quickly. :)

So, I've been ordered a couple of masks for a bollywood dance show. In fact, my wife heard about a potential need of masks, and said her husband will do that...

I'm glad to see she believes in me, and it makes me forgot for a minute that this order puts me into deep panic.

So I spend two weeks panicking.

When my timetable becomes more suitable I study the project closer.
I get in touch with the boss. She would like something like that :

or like that :

(I know it's entirely not the same thing at all, but you know, every bosses are alike...)

...and we finally reach the agreement that I feared from the beginning : I will do it all my way. It will be simpler. And go for kind of a Ganesh.

If I ever reach this result I'll be happy :

She shows me a trailer from Any Body Can Dance, a bollywood movie next to come, and I snap this sample :

Blender is now my only friend.

I spend hours browsing elephant pics as references, untill I feel like having a two feet wide head seems normal. But it helps me to make my crumpled piece of mesh look a bit more realistic :

It looks like an elephant, I stop here. I'm the first to be surprised it took me less than a day. I can't imagine what a guy who uses this software every day could have covered within such a laptime...
It seems we need a "golden hat", in lack of a better word :

and a virtual fit test :

Finally I hold it :

Since I plan to use once more my sempiternal 6mm foam from Domyos, here comes the funniest part -> jumping from the first to the second pic below :

Print...

Now let's draw our glue gun...

These trunks are a nightmare, but it's fine if you don't look too close.

The more the head is complete, the more it's hard to make clean seams, because the bottom apperture is the only way to access the inner head, and this damned apperture gets narrower and narrower...

Attaching the hears is a bouble nightmare.

Both heads are over.
Now I cut up holes for the eyes, and build the frame of the hat :

Then I use the wasted foam pieces to freehand some ornaments to wrap around the main crown, some kind of things that roughly recall those I saw onto the thousands of pics I browsed earlier.

I glue some magnets on the hat and under the candlesticks. These candlesticks are made from two misscaled pieces of Iron Man mark 4 hip pods. ^^

Then, once cold, I will use my sharp blade to thin down the overthickness of glue.

One will need to put his head inside these pachyderm, I can only imagine a long zip fly at the back side.

Still from wasted foam, I cut up four simplistic eyes.

I put a velcro spot on the front of the head and under the... sunshade ? for the hat to hold in place.

As I expected, obstructing the eyes holes and we can't see through the mask at all... I grab a piece of packing wraper, tape it upon the area that match the level of my eyes when I wear the head, and I draw a grid. Then I copy it on a paper sheet to draw it cleaner, and I cut it up.

The next stage must NOT be missed :

I use seamstress pins that I pin through the foam, with a 90° angle, at the corners of the grid.

Now I can draw the holes of the grid on the outer side of the elephant, AND also, by joining the tips of the pins with a sharpie, I draw the grid on the inner side too.

I take my second glue gun, the one loaded with hard glue. Hard glue sticks are opaque white, and just as rigid as your sharpie. It's a kind of glue that can't be bent. I will use it as standalone to apply a mesh behind the bars of the grid and around the grid, so the thin foam rungs that will remain will stay rigid enough not to get ripped by accident. I must apply my hard glue BEFORE carving the grid. If I do it when the holes are present, the heat will distort the rungs.

And here I am so far.
I can light up my fake candle ! ^^ and I double this pic for his twin brother :

Tomorrow I should start with rubber coating, then painting...

(To be followed...)

Last edited:
Re: ABCD - Any Body Can Dance ► Ganesh mask ◄

Please keep sharing. I pick up something new in every one of your threads. I actually get paralyzed by choice sometimes when I can't decide which method to use for some parts.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

That is awesome how you can do it all now.... create, unfold, and build. Those are beautiful.

Durkness -> yeah somehow it's just like I'm a kid riding his bike without the training wheels ^^

The kind of liquid rubber used here is a roof sealant. It looks like toothpaste, but more sticky.

I apply it roughly because I don't like painting. It always ruines my clothes.
First doat :

A second coat later :

And now it's his twin's turn...

Last edited:

Unfortunately I'm afraid the masks as well as the model (and therefore the templates) belong to this bollywood dance show compagny now, since they paid an arm and a leg for it... but I must consede I haven't read the small bottom lines. I will inquire.

I cover the inner visor area with black rubber and a coat of matt black spray. It aims to prevent light reflexions, and is more comfortible for the user who can then focus on what happens outside the helmet rather than being sidetracked by the hard glue undergrid and the pink foam...

A third and last white rubber coating on the whole thing, then a blow of golden paint onto the hats...

... and it beggins to rain.
I stop here for today.

I was wondering whether to try this kind of liquid rubber, you've given me a prompt, thanks:cool

You should not regret it. I've been using that from my very first build up to now, it's cheaper than everything else and, depending of how many layers, brings each time the results I expect.

Keep in mind that it protects the foam and makes it less easy to bend, but it's far not hard like resin is.

Cherry on the cake, you can use it indoor, and it's dry within half an hour.

I planned to use my paintgun to apply the flesh color paint, because it's hundred times more entertaining.
But sadely, today...

084.jpg

... and I still don't like brush painting at least as much as yesterday. But I don't worry, I'll put a second coat on tomorrow.

I also started to recieve in my mail the bucket of ornaments I ordered, but given they almost all comes from China I probably won't have them all for next week...

Still rainy, so a bit more brush painting...

... and only 24h remaining before the delivery dead-line ! :\
I'm panicking again...

Today last day. I complete the eyes, so they can at last see something.

And some ornaments I had in a drawer, waiting for those I ordered from the other end of the world to arrive in my mailbox. I hope it will go well for this time. I'll ask to get the elephants back so I can add the rest once recieved.

Still missing : a red drawing on the trunk, few other gemstones here and there, and I'm done ^^

12 hours left...

Complete ! ^^

... and it's a good thing. I was getting really bored with my paint brushes. The last drawings are a bit sloppy...

Last photos indoor, the next ones will be on stage in ten days.

Hope you liked following this project. At least it may have been a little intermission between two Ironman... ^^
Delivery in few hours. About the pdo file, I'll ask about this "free-to-share" request.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back