LoZ Master Sword Rebuild WIP [NEW PICS 06MAY2013]

Sandman0077

Sr Member
Hello all! Took a break from my leather work today and happened to glance in the corner to see my Amazon purchased Master Sword just sitting there. I have been meaning to break it down and make it more accurate. I remembered my brother-in-law mentioned some heavy duty paint remover he uses at work (he's a mechanic) and went to Walmart and picked some up. It's call Aircraft Remover (in the automotive section) and it eats paint in 5-15 minutes. I don't have any before photos, but here is what it looked like before:

Dark_Links_Master_Sword_from_the_Legend_of_Zelda_4__35906_zoom_zps6758b372.jpg

I chose this version over the other ones because I'm going for a Twilight Princess Master Sword, as I feel it is more detailed than the rest. The original swords paint job was garbage, so I had no problem breaking down a $75 purchase.

Here are all the corrections I will be making:
Comparison2_zpscdeeb96d.jpg

First I broke down the handle and hilt and soaked it in the paint remover. The 'wings' were made of plastic and the paint remover etched into them a bit. Not a problem because my plan is to make one wing look right and then cast a copy, attach it, and cold cast the pieces together for that same metal weight it has right now.

After about 10 minutes of soaking, I rinsed off the pieces and used my wire brush on my drill press to clean up the pieces.
IMAG0168_zps460ae232.jpg

The wrapped handle is actually plastic, so I will be redoing that with real wood and leather. I will also be sharpening the blade and giving it a nice polish before reassembling everything. Here is what it looks like under the handle and hilt:

IMAG0170_zpsc04c6678.jpg

Tomorrow I will start working on the 'wings'. More to come.

Last edited:
Re: LoZ Master Sword Rebuild WIP

Great job so far, can't wait to see how you finish it. I just bought one on Ebay a few weeks ago and repainted it as well as buffing up the blade, definite improvement.

If I was a richer man LoZ would be in my collection along with Doctor Who.

Look forward to seeing the improvements!

Looking forward to this re-vamp. I've seen that Master Sword in several knife/cutlery shops and was wondering if it could be improved. You're on to a good start, sir!

-Jonaas

Got some work on the 'wing' today. The top portion has been angled and sanded, and the bottom has been cut at the proper degree. Still needs some Bondo because my Dremel nicked a chunk out of it. Then primer and more sanding! I was pleasantly surprised to find out the piece was solid plastic and not hollow like I was expecting. Less filling for me.

IMAG0175_zps392b577e.jpg

IMAG0176_zpse38a1960.jpg

IMAG0174_zps8aad1d63.jpg

IMAG0177_zpse4795288.jpg

Re: LoZ Master Sword Rebuild WIP [NEW PICS 25MAR2013]

Thanks for the positive feedback so far. Keeps me going :)

I'm debating whether or not to make the rounded parts of the 'wing' more angled like I did with the top section. Thoughts?

Great improvement! How hard was it to remove the wings? Did you have to break them off?

Great improvement! How hard was it to remove the wings? Did you have to break them off?

The wings were glued onto the center metal piece via two metal pegs that they were pushed on to. I didn't know this at the time and used a rubber mallet to knock the wings off. The bottom pegs broke off and I twisted the wings until they finally popped off. Then just machined off the remaining pegs.

I will be heading out today to get some type of filler, probably bondo putty if I can find it. That and some self etching primer.

Last edited:

This is awesome! Ive got this exact sword except its silver and not black. I was just going to repaint it... but I may have just changed my mind :D Great job! Keep it up!

This is awesome! Ive got this exact sword except its silver and not black. I was just going to repaint it... but I may have just changed my mind :D Great job! Keep it up!

Are you talking about this one?
LEGEND-OF-ZELDA-Twilight-Princess-Links-Master-Sword-Replica.jpg

I almost got that one too BUT then I realized that the lowest part of the hand guard did not extend all the way down to the Triforce symbol like the Twilight Princess version. Just a friendly tip in case anyone doing this didn't notice that. ;)

Quick update. Finished the rough shaping of the wing. Testing the bondo putty I bought on the other wing. Seems to be working so far.

IMAG0184_zpscfd7682d.jpg

Testing the putty.
IMAG0186_zps8a3300c0.jpg

Awesome new dremel bit I bought. Worked perfectly.
IMAG0187_zpsa4eaf70f.jpg

IMAG0191_zpsd66e372b.jpg

IMAG0192_zpsc334afe9.jpg

IMAG0193_zps9b131f18.jpg

I bought some self etching primer and will be using that tomorrow after i finish with the bondo (if the weather warms up a little).

I almost got that one too BUT then I realized that the lowest part of the hand guard did not extend all the way down to the Triforce symbol like the Twilight Princess version. Just a friendly tip in case anyone doing this didn't notice that. ;)

The diamond shape is also slightly different between the two as well. I'm also curious on how your going to handle the bottom part that goes near the triforce. you plan on cutting that section out or just leave it silver?

The diamond shape is also slightly different between the two as well. I'm also curious on how your going to handle the bottom part that goes near the triforce. you plan on cutting that section out or just leave it silver?

Did not notice the difference in diamond shape. Good catch!

I haven't decided about that part near the Triforce yet. I considered cutting it out and leaving just the painted trim, but I'm not sure how that will look. I might just polish that part with the blade so it looks like the blade, but idk how that would look.

Re: LoZ Master Sword Rebuild WIP [NEW PICS 26MAR2013]

I did buy the one posted above and painted as well as sculpted a new diamond for the center. My original idea was to take 2 wires and paint them gold and attach them to the blade, kind of like in my picture, but haven't decided upon that yet or not. Anyway great progress on yours and I may rip mine apart again and do some more changes.

DSCN4789_zpsd78952f9.jpg

Just checked out what you were asking and I think I'm just going to keep that piece intact and just polish it up to match the blade. The blade is smaller to fit that piece over it, so it will look strange if I cut that piece.

Btw nice paint job you did. Did you use automotive paint? I'm thinking of going that route for mine.

Actually did like 4 coats of Model Master Acryl Deep Pearlescent Purple, closest color I could find locally.

Yes indeed! I hadn't noticed the differences before!

And I do like that color! The wires look pretty good, I guess its hard to decide until you see them in gold. Either way you go, Stivie, You'll have an excellent sword :D

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back