Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [Completed!]

Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP]

one thing I've been wondering which I cant find out from anyone else's stilted builds is how you get it on,,.. w/ one piece shins how do you strap on the stilts then get the shin and boot on,.. figuring out that is whats been delaying me from building the bottom half of my armor

one thing I've been wondering which I cant find out from anyone else's stilted builds is how you get it on,,.. w/ one piece shins how do you strap on the stilts then get the shin and boot on,.. figuring out that is whats been delaying me from building the bottom half of my armor

Valid question. This is how I imagine it (subject to change of course):

The shins will be placed over top of the boot/stilts and left loose. I, having donned the diaper and thighs, will then step up onto the stilts.

At this point, I THINK my assistant (this will certainly require help to get into) will be able to reach down into the gap between the shin portion and the thigh. This gap will be exaggerated because the shin is sitting loose on top of the boot. Then, the assistant can tighten the one loose strap and velcro it down, securing the stilts.

After that the shins can be lifted up into position and attached to the thighs.

For my boots, I was thinking of incorporating the same idea as a ski boot attaches to the ski.
Front of the boot (or in this case a shoe,boot, wtvr) goes in first then when you push your heel down it locks into place.

Now when you're wearing skis, the way you unlatch the latch is you take your pole and push down on one end of it and it pops up releasing the back of the boot then you can remove it.

I have been going to thrift stores and second hand sports shops to see if I can rig this as my set up. could save a lot of time and the need for an assistant.

Last edited:

I have been working on the chest a little bit. When last i left off the collar was still missing. I have remedied that for the most part. I strayed from the pep pattern here added some embellishments of my own in the form of some cutouts.

I figure I can be pretty free with these types of details and still be pretty much cannon, all while making it my own.

One problem I am having is that The chest is going to have to be reinforced somehow. That is unless I plan on holding my arms up off the sides indefinitely. I will need to give it a few ribs so I can give my shoulders a break and let my arms rest on the sides without distorting the whole armor.

IMG_20130408_201445.jpg

IMG_20130408_201457.jpg

IMG_20130408_202015.jpg

IMG_20130408_202746.jpg

IMG_20130408_202629.jpg

Last edited:

Super
Everytime i come to this thread the more and more i want to work on mine

Hi!
quick question about feet.. Do you have your "toes" fixed or they are "pivoting" somehow??? If they are fixed, its difficult to walk??? and if you can move them, can you show how??
regards!

For the arm holes most of the guys have had to widen the holes, you cant see them anyways under the shoulder. I made mine almost double the size. as far as reinforcement, i used alot of my left over scraps of foam and basically glued a second and third layer to the inside. And henrik used aluminum bands if im not mistaken.

WHAT A COOL BUILD! Thank you so much for sharing! :) Looking forward to more

For the arm holes most of the guys have had to widen the holes, you cant see them anyways under the shoulder. I made mine almost double the size. as far as reinforcement, i used alot of my left over scraps of foam and basically glued a second and third layer to the inside. And henrik used aluminum bands if im not mistaken.

Thanks very much for this info! I asked this very question in Henrik's thread on the Obscurus Crusade forum.

After inspecting his photos I was almost certain he trimmed his down. I'm sure it will help quite a bit.

Epsilon Report #2

I believe the epsilon to be fully cured now and it is a stiff plastic shell coating the foam now. For my test I only applied two layers. The first layer being rather thin, the second was moderately thick.

The part has a wee bit of flex left to it, but I dare not flex it too much because I fear it will crack. Sadly the final finish it a bit more brittle than I would have preferred. I put a few tiny cracks into it by roughly tapping it with my fingernail. It holds up decently well to general pressure and handling, but not very well to focused knocks like that of my fingernail.

This problem might be remedied by a thicker coating, or more layers, but I can't be certain.

All in all, its a great finish, but given the size of my costume and the unavoidable flexing larger foam pieces are going to do, I'm having doubts that epsilon is the ideal solution. I have never done a PVA/plasti-dip finish before either. I know that will also suffer wear and tear from bending as well. At this moment I am still undecided on which method to use. Input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Back to the build.

The stilts are mounted to the boots, and the toes are mounted. This means, the boots are fully built. PROGRESS. The stilts are still able to be removed, as are the toe sections. Lord knows I love my stuff to be modular. Everything mounts with velcro. Dare I say; I'm pleased with it.

Knowing now the amount of flex my giant foam parts have. I have decided to add an internal structure to some of the pieces. I will be doing this with flexible PVC tubes. The chest and cod are my main concern. Some testing today with a skeleton for the cod was pretty successful. I think it will work well.

More to come. Stay Tuned.
IMG_20130411_234711.jpg

IMG_20130411_234602.jpg

IMG_20130410_142539.jpg

IMG_20130411_234439.jpg

Last edited:

I look forward to more pics of your build. I have always wanted to build a 40 K marine.

Update time!

My second shipment of foam is on the way. I am almost through the original 3 sheets. However, I think another 3 sheets should be enough to finish completely. I had anticipated needing more, so this is welcome news.

Also on the way is 25 yards of webbing (think backpack straps) for making the suspenders and stringing the pieces together.

I previously decided to reinforce the bigger pieces with an internal skeleton made of flexible pvc. I have the cod piece all done now and I am extremely happy with the results. It provides ample support for the foam and gives me great attachment points. It is my intent to make a similar structure inside the chest.

Belt construction and cod skeleton:
IMG_20130413_151239.jpg

IMG_20130415_191903.jpg

IMG_20130415_191920.jpg

IMG_20130415_191944.jpg

Giant scale awesomeness:
IMG_20130415_191144_1.jpg

Last edited:

And a bit of detail work I did this evening on the back of the shins.

IMG_20130415_224508.jpg

IMG_20130415_224538.jpg

IMG_20130415_233712.jpg

Last edited:

youre killing me man, everytime i look at your work i look over at my WB dark apostle and sigh, im so anxious to get back to my build its not funny, but i still dont know what my freetime is gonna look like for another 3 weeks sigh, must build something!!!!!!!

I did a small bit of detail work on the neck of my chest piece and did some online shopping. I ordered a pair of Glospex glasses in red for my helmet and some 10" diameter flexible ducting for the joints in the legs pieces.

My webbing (strap material) comes in tomorrow and my shipment of foam the day after. I plan on doing all of the rigging for the lower half this weekend. If all goes well i will be taking some video of walking tests done while wearing the lower half.

collar detail:
IMG_20130416_235449.jpg

glospex:
LEFT_RED_SHOP_thum__08818.1337555599.200.160.jpg

duct material example:
0007991643048_500X500.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back