Re: Studio Scale TIE Fighter - Take 2

From that mobile phone pic it looks like a good cast - except from the disturbing curley hair....

I bet you've to wait extra long till the resin is super hard, before you pull out that mega long arms.

Thank you !

Yeah the iPhone pic is way better than the ones I take my cam ! Parts made in this resin look always are out of focus or details dont pop :( too white and too bright !
I have hair cat in all my castings, they make them stronger haha ! :D

Actually I dont want the resin to ne fully cured and hard when I pull it because it becomes impossible to remove it from the mold without breaking the arms at their roots. You cant pull the wing star out of the mold by pulling the hub, only by pulling the arms then the hub. I let one of the pull setting overnight and I broke the 6 arms. :(

Casting looks great,the wing star's details looks pretty tricky to mold and cast free from bubbles but you're doing a great casting Julien:thumbsup

Don

Beautiful work, J! Please show more mold pics! I was actually going to individually cast the parts and glue everything on 4 separate stars. Rethinking as I am now inspired to attempt the ILM way.

Oh and no bubbles!

Joe

Damn .. what's your trick to be bubble free on there? Is it the resin that is extra liquid or you have a giant pressure pot for this? :wacko

Your castings are miles ahead of the ILM versions.

Oh, and somebody says hi!

1388601284-0.jpg

Wait Julien .. a brush? What's your resin pot life time to be able to mess around the corner and poking in bubbles?!?!

I still feel like the ONYX I'm using goes of a lot too fast .. and 310 and 325 I tried runs way too liquid .. I haven't found a good middle ground yet. I have pretty much only access to SmoothOn product here! Any suggestions from the pros? Or ignore this if it's to derailing from this thread :)

Smooth on has some 10-20 minute urethane. Don't remember if Polytek does although they have the super thin Easy Flo 60. That will still yield bubbles but might be easier to brush on if you can't find longer pot life urethane.

Joe

Hands on - how many did it take to get one this perfect?

Serious:
I also know casting is easy once you know the tricks. And are patient enough to follow ;)
But what really gets me is the subject. So stunning. RRRRRrrrrrhhhhhhhhhh!

Hey Julien, you probably already know this trick but, if you dust the mold with baby powder/talc and then blow out the excess, it will help with the surface bubbles.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back