Borderlands 2 Maliwan Hellfire (Legendary) - In Progress

Jonny

Hi All,
I've been eager to start this since picking up the weapon from Scorch on my first play through. As with all the guns in Borderlands2 there is a rich variety of most weapons, with different stocks, grips, sights and magazines. So there is naturally a variety of versions of this which can be dropped. I decided I wanted to make the version which had the curved grip, solid stock and no sight as this is the best looking version in my opinion. I plan on putting LEDs and a rotating magazine inside so that the magazine will spin slow when turned on, and then fast when the trigger is pressed. I may even go as far as to put a speaker inside so it'll play sounds when firing.

So I've been hunting around from reference shots and put together a blueprint, which I made using Inkscape.
This was then scaled (my calculations made it 55cm long, which feels like a comfortable length considering it's a smg) and printed and stuck together. I then used these plans stuck onto mdf to create a frame to build the rest of the gun upon. This mdf is made up of two pieces of 6mm mdf stuck together with double sided tape. I used this so that they could be separated at a later date so I could work on the inside of the gun to make channels for the trigger and wiring.
I then started using rigid pvc sheeting (Foamex, UK Sintra equivalent) to build up the stock end, sanding the bevels and layering a thin layer of car body filler (bondo) on top.
I then moved onto the grip doing the same, layering the Foamex and then using my router to curve the edges initially and then using my mouse sander to reach the desired curve.
Progress can be followed both here and in my blog www.jonsprojects.co.uk.

2013_%25202_10_20_57.jpg

OMG! I'm so glad someone is doing a proper borderlands gun build, (instead of people painting a nerf maverick.) The hellfire is definitely in my top 5 favorite guns in borderlands!

Worked on this a bit more last night, mainly on the grip. Adding the layering on the opposing side. I also cut off the top section to make it easier to work with.
Unfortunately I then cut my thumb, so I couldn't take any pictures. Didn't want to get blood on my phone. I'll post come updates over the weekend.

I'm loving the work you're doing, however, there is one thing that has stumped me about this. how are you gonna make the magazine spin? it just seems like a hard thing to replicate from the game.

Last edited:
I got it!
I can use a motor from a cd drive. It'll require another board to control it as its a stepper motor but it'll work. Also if I can get one from a laptop cd drive it'll have a nice mechanism which allow me to make the disc mountable. I can use a cd on the inside so I can push it on and pull it off.
I'm really excited by this solution.

That's a great Idea for making the disc spin and reloadable!

Just a thought but in-game, the disc is always slowly spinning when not being fired and it spins fast when the trigger is held. You should find a way so you have a set speed for when the trigger isn't held and when it is.

Looks awesome so far!

You're quit right Jmantam, I was going to use a Arduino to control it so it would spin fast and slow. As well as flash an orange tinted LED from the muzzle.

I'm thinking of restarting this build as I'm not happy with the thickness of it so far.
I'll need to review it when I get home to see if I can add some more layering on top to get the thickness I want or whether it would be better to start from scratch

I've started the stock and grip sections again. Trying to be more precise this time. I'm using dowels to help align the two halves. Waiting for the glue to dry before trimming them down.

2013_%25202_21_20_54.jpg

This looks like a fun project.

My son wants to work on this as I'm a big fan of making things with my son. How was it you found blueprints to this hellfire? Did you create them yourself? I can use illustrator and would have to do that myself by hand, which I don't mind.

My son plays Borderlands 2 on both the PC and the XBox. Could a 3D image be taken and imported from the PC?

Thanks, and I look forward to updates on your project.

I had a pair of stepper motors arrive on Friday so I spent the evening hooking them up to an Arduino Nano. Turns out they don't spin fast enough as they're geared down. I tried opening one up to remove the gearing but the motor proved to be too underpowered. So I've now go to find a motor small enough to fit, but with enough power to spin the clip.

Over the weekend I switched my attention back to the SMG. I thickened the centre layers and cut out a section to store the electronics. I also cut out a piece from the front where I'll be mounting the muzzle and other details. I then started the outer layers, creating fences and using body filler to build up to the fences.

Check out my blog for more images.

2013_%25203_%25203_20_25.jpg

2013_%25203_%25203_20_26.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back