Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

I might be all alone in that I liked the new order troop lander. It was perfectly functional, no frills, no extra "wings". Exactly what a troop lander should be.
It makes more sense as a boat. Notice the gun is on top, like a boat.

So it actually doesn't work very well as a lander. I remember when I first saw it it thought, "how are they going to attack from above?"

Then when they actually attacked in the movie, they came from along the ground.

Whereas the Republic gunship is more like a well armed helicopter. It's designed to clear the ground, touch down, and go. It's a much better way to deploy ground troops

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

With the number of TIE & Star Destroyer variants that we've seen over the years, it's amazing that the Empire actually had the funds and resources to build 2 Death Stars. It sure must be fun working in the Imperial Logistics & Supply Corps, I can't imagine the nightmare it must trying to sort and supply all of the different parts for so many different TIE fighters and Star Destroyers, don't mention the dozens of different Stormtrooper armor types. That's probably why the First Order went with such a relatively simple landing craft design and TIE fighters that look a lot like the old ones, they learned their lesson from the Empire and cut back on some things and focused their resources on capital ships and Starkiller Base.

Yes, it does borrow elements from a boat. Going a little further with your helicopter/boat comparison, the D-day landing craft could drop off a whole lot more troops than can a helicopter. If you're approaching a "soft" target, this might be the way to go.

Using the landing craft as design inspiration also had some poetic beauty to it, even if it doesn't make military sense (which I might just concede to you). What I liked about it was that it had a jeep sort of sensibility to it. It was a box fully optimized to carry troops with a hatch in the front. Not much else. The New Order is on a tight budget, after all. Have you priced out one of those Starkiller bases lately?

- - - Updated - - -

That crap-basket that Princess Leia landed in, on the other hand...

It makes more sense as a boat. Notice the gun is on top, like a boat.

So it actually doesn't work very well as a lander. I remember when I first saw it it thought, "how are they going to attack from above?"

Then when they actually attacked in the movie, they came from along the ground.

Whereas the Republic gunship is more like a well armed helicopter. It's designed to clear the ground, touch down, and go. It's a much better way to deploy ground troops

It depends on what you want really. The gunships are like Russian Hind helicopters, helicopter gunships with some troop carrying capacity, more gunship than troop transport and takes a good number of them to get a decent number of troops on the ground, but good for hostile territory. The TFA landers, on the other hand, appear to be dedicated troop transports and appear to be designed to get a good number of troops on the ground at once but is designed to do so with a secured LZ or is supposed to work in conjunction with some sort of gunship or TIEs when the LZ isn't secured.

When you look at modern troop transports, be they helos, LCUs/Higgins boats, or APCs you'll notice that, with the exception of the Hind, none of them are armed to the teeth, their job is to get their troops in to an area as quickly and safely as possible and not duke it out with the enemy. A good example of this something like Amy Black Hawks, or Marine Ospreys, both are equipped only with machine guns for self defense, no rockets, no cannons because they rely on attack helos like Apaches and Cobras to protect them and suppress any enemy troops on the ground before landing. Likewise amphibious landings, the Marines rely on air strikes, cruise missiles, and naval gunfire to suppress and/or take out the enemy while the Amtracs roll in from the ships, but the Amtracs, while armored, are armed only with a 40mm automatic grenade launcher and a machine gun because they rely on other forces to do the majority of the clearing for them.

Yes, it does borrow elements from a boat. Going a little further with your helicopter/boat comparison, the D-day landing craft could drop off a whole lot more troops than can a helicopter. If you're approaching a "soft" target, this might be the way to go.

Using the landing craft as design inspiration also had some poetic beauty to it, even if it doesn't make military sense (which I might just concede to you). What I liked about it was that it had a jeep sort of sensibility to it. It was a box fully optimized to carry troops with a hatch in the front. Not much else. The New Order is on a tight budget, after all. Have you priced out one of those Starkiller bases lately?

- - - Updated - - -

That crap-basket that Princess Leia landed in, on the other hand...
Leia's landing craft is the space version of a hallway.

Or at the very least, it looks like the contractor office at a space construction site

We're discussing the wrong movie for this thread, but...
In an earlier version of the TFA's script, the Resistance's base was supposed to be on the same planet as Maz' castle, so Leia's transport would not have to be capable of space flight, even.

The Higgins boats (which they admitted to copying - we were right...) had two .30 cal Brownings on it, which compares to the TFA with ONE blaster cannon. Not even a laser, so basically you can only shoot other troops. On the other side the Republic Gunship had two missile launchers, under wing missiles (8 total air-to-air), four composite beam laser turrets (two manned, two aimed by gunner) and three anti-personnel blasters (nose and one on the tail) each of which is the equivalent to the TFA lander weapon. I'll ride in the Gunship thank you.

Oh the TFA lander carries 20 troops, while the Gunship can carry 30.

Gunship can carry 30? Is it a circus clown car, or a TARDIS? I don't think so... By the looks of it, I'd say 15 plus crew, tops. Yes, Wiki says 30, but I don't buy it.

- - - Updated - - -

Besides that, you'll ride the ship you're ordered to ride, trooper. (snark)

Don't forget that both the resistance and the first Order are supposed to not have a lot of money and more over they need to have ships fast enough to make war. So the design is less important than the efficiency :)

Don't forget that both the resistance and the first Order are supposed to not have a lot of money and more over they need to have ships fast enough to make war. So the design is less important than the efficiency :)
How is the first order supposed to be poor?

The starkiller base is the most expensive thing ever

I'll just put this here, quite off topic but interesting nevertheless:

aNnbOvr_700b.jpg

Whoa. If that is literally Stan's unaltered face on Hamill's head, that's impressive. Seeing him in the Marvel movies, I had not made that connection...

I hate to say it, but they could probably make a whole trilogy taking place after jedi and before TFA.....but they would have to recast han and leia

I think he would probably be better suited as a son of Luke...but if we wanted to REALLY go out there...he might make a decent Anakin Skywalker, if they ever remade the PT(which they won't).

Whoa. If that is literally Stan's unaltered face on Hamill's head, that's impressive. Seeing him in the Marvel movies, I had not made that connection...

I thought I saw in another thread that someone posted it wasn't just a simple photoshop of Stan's face on Hamill's head but it was one of those images where the 2 are blended together so you are only seeing parts of Stan's face in that image - not a complete transfer of just his features with Hamill's hair.

It would be cool though,....just to say: Luke Skywalker by Sebastian Stan,......Anakin Skywalker by Sebastian Shaw

J

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back