Star Trek Continues

I might go to the new Midwest Media Expo convention in May here in Detroit since they're supposed to be there. Be nice to talk shop with another Trek series group and they sound like they'd be cool.

I agree there are still a few, shall we say, teething issues with regards to the acting styles. One thing I'm glad New Voyages/Phase II did was to NOT have the actors try and impersonate Shatner, Nimmoy, Takei, etc. So, for future Continues episodes, I'd much rather watch Vic playing Kirk (as he interprets the character), rather than him impersonating Shatner's portrayal of Kirk. The latter just invites too many comparisons to the original and adds an unnecessary disconnect between the performance and the story.

I don't see Vic as impersonating Shatner at all. I see him playing Kirk. A familiar character to us, which, (in my opionion only), he's doing a wonderful job at portraying.

I see that standing out as vastly superior to New Voyages/Phase II. - who were trying to put 'their own take' on it to such a degree, that it does not feel 'familiar' as TOS Trek to me. They seem to be the characters by name only. The only 'actor' on Phase II who, again, (only in my opintion), who is any good is McCoy.

Vic and crew geniunly love Trek. And while Phase II guys love it to, they seem to try to impress everyone with their 'big name' cameo stars, that they seem to think that's enough to carry the story.

Continues has had big name cameos too, but not 'as' the focal point to the story.

Continues, to me, is THE fan series Trek that is continuing the 5 year mission. The characters are familiar, and it is nice to see that. While I watch it, I see Kirk and Spock, etc. on the screen and after a few minutes, I am watching Trek again,

Phase II, I just shake my head a lot of the time and say...Kirk never reacted like this!, etc.

Again, just my opinion, who cares really!....

I don't see Vic as impersonating Shatner at all. I see him playing Kirk. A familiar character to us, which, (in my opionion only), he's doing a wonderful job at portraying.

^^^^ :thumbsup

Vic is the standout here and really carries the scenes that he's in. Continues, IMHO, is VASTLY superior to any other fan stuff out there. To the point that I find their cameos in this latest episode (which I did enjoy) detract from the end product instead of enhance it. I think that the production value and the acting (McCoy and Sulu I find weak. Spock, Uhura, and McKenna are... Okay. Scotty is pretty good. Kirk is great.) hold it up on it's own merit.

I couldn't stand the guy acting Kirk in Phase II. AT ALL. And that's a bad character to mis-cast.

I dunno, the chick who plays the ship's doctor on Star Trek: Osiris is pretty good. ;) (ahahaha j/k. Shameless self promotion of my series. I now return you to the true topic at hand.)

:cool

^^^^ :thumbsup

Vic is the standout here and really carries the scenes that he's in. Continues, IMHO, is VASTLY superior to any other fan stuff out there. To the point that I find their cameos in this latest episode (which I did enjoy) detract from the end product instead of enhance it. I think that the production value and the acting (McCoy and Sulu I find weak. Spock, Uhura, and McKenna are... Okay. Scotty is pretty good. Kirk is great.) hold it up on it's own merit.

I couldn't stand the guy acting Kirk in Phase II. AT ALL. And that's a bad character to mis-cast.

Could not agree with you more. The only niggly thing about continues, is that Spock just doesn't 'look' like Spock to me. I don't know if it's the actors bone structure, or what.

Phase II, should just phase out! They brag about how awesome they are, always talking about how many episodes they have 'in the can', but seem to take two years each to get them out. And the last one with the Klingons was a bit embarrasing. It looked like it was filmed at a convention....I half expected to see a few of the Klingons wearing bifocals! Though they did recast their Kirk (who was their weakest actor), so it may improve.

Far be it from me to **** on actors though, I clam up in front of a camera and it takes me quite a while to come back down.

I've directed and produced enough television to know what works though and Continues works. :thumbsup

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Wow, I didn't think the 2nd episode could top the first episode, but it did! It was so well played, acted, written and directed that it truly is a continuation of the series and rises above it in some ways. Their work is truly a gift to us.

What made this vintage Dickel Saurian Brandy bottle's owner cry? Find out this May on Star Trek Continues, Episode 3.

Attachments

• DSCN4539__zpsa98cea10.jpg
    DSCN4539__zpsa98cea10.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 51
Interesting concept, picking up right where that particular story element left off., I have to say I enjoyed it much more than the Enterprise Mirror-Universe episode.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back