Faux bronze Ark Cherub

Luke0312

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I recently got an Ark Cherub from Droidboy. Let me first state this is not one from the run he is preparing, this cherub is from his old mold that had seen better days and as such, was rather rough. He clearly stated this to me, it came as no surprise, I was expecting it.

There were a few things I did to clean it up a bit, mainly filling the largest holes and going over it a bit with some steel wool. I didn't really do that much clean up on it though. As I'm getting a very clean SA cherub from sskunky and Droidboy will be offering his cleaned up cherubs from his new run, I wanted to do something different with this one. Something that would hide some of the flaws, but mainly I wanted to experiment. After seeing pics of bronze cherubs, I wanted to give this finish a try.

Truthfully, this one of the easiest finishes I've done. I laid down two quick coats of Rustoleum oil rubbed bronze on it. This was to serve as a base and provide a dark color in the crevices. The oil rubbed bronze works well since it's very dark, but not quite black, and has the small metal falkes that show up in it. As for the top cold, I simply used a light coat of Rub-n-buff gold leaf that I left unpolished. Since it was a light coat, the paint underneath darkens it up a bit. Basically using the Rub-n-buff to add highlights.

Here's a few shots of it:
img2837vv.jpg

img2841b.jpg

img2838b.jpg

img2839xg.jpg

Pretty happy with how it turned out. Actually looks better in person than in the pictures. It has a realistic finish in person, until you touch it and can feel that it's not a metal, you wouldn't know the difference.

Thought I would put this out there for anyone looking for a way to do an aged metal appearance and that isn't good at drybrushing, such as myself.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back