Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How reliable is this seller? Always makes me a bit nervous when they post pictures of the RD MAG and claim it to be what you are buying. Also notice that the images are not photo shopped for copyright.

Another clear sole UPDATE:

I now have left and right sets :)

10423858_10152591639273841_7287868803873004797_n.jpg

OK I think I have this worked out now. The mix, degass and pour is perfect, but the fill and air escape holes on my molds need to be altered as I am still trapping air here. I will look at doing that tonight.

"A rechargeable battery good for 3,000 hours"

LOL

3000?! lol

on the subject of battery life.

I just recently got some AAA 1.2v nimh rechargeables, they are chinese and supposed to be 2600mah, but i very much doubt they can be that full.

I haven't had time to properly test them on some of the 3v pairs ive made, but I reckon even if I get 2000mah via 2 x AAA batteries (1.2v each - 2.4v total) then it should give at least 7 hours +, possibly more.

Another clear sole UPDATE:

I now have left and right sets :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd....8_10152591639273841_7287868803873004797_n.jpg

OK I think I have this worked out now. The mix, degass and pour is perfect, but the fill and air escape holes on my molds need to be altered as I am still trapping air here. I will look at doing that tonight.

Amazing job!

What do you think they used for the 1989 movie shoe? Do you think they used translucent silicone during that time? or do you think they used transparent water clear urethane rubber like you've done?

Your end result is super clear, virtually the same as the 2011 shoe. Why did the 1989 shoe look so white/icey in the movie? When you see some pictures of the screen used props after a number of years, you can see they are quite clear, but in the movie they seem to have a white pigment to them. Either that, or maybe they painted the area behind the clear soles white?

I brought that up earlier. They were more translucent in the movie. Cavx just hasn't sourced a material to make them.

I don't know anything about resistors, would 10k ohm 1/4w be ok for the LEDs?? That's what iv got, along with 100 ohm and 120 ohm (I'm guessing the last 2 are wrong). Will the first I mentioned work or should I get what jedifyfe says??? Any help would be great. Thanks

What they look like on the shoes.

10445934_10152592753273841_8397718125344363012_n.jpg

Amazing job!

What do you think they used for the 1989 movie shoe? Do you think they used translucent silicone during that time? or do you think they used transparent water clear urethane rubber like you've done?

Your end result is super clear, virtually the same as the 2011 shoe. Why did the 1989 shoe look so white/icey in the movie? When you see some pictures of the screen used props after a number of years, you can see they are quite clear, but in the movie they seem to have a white pigment to them. Either that, or maybe they painted the area behind the clear soles white?

Actually when you look at these latest versions, the molding silicone has picked up all the detail of the inside of the master and the casts now have that taking away from the glass look. Maybe they only did use silicone. Point being, I'm sure the MAG was the first shoe to have a clear sole and there has been many significant advancements in clear rubbers since 1989.

I brought that up earlier. They were more translucent in the movie. Cavx just hasn't sourced a material to make them.

I made a tester out of Shoe Goo and it has the whitish look you refer to. It is much harder though and feels more like plastic. Might be perfect for a display pair, but I don't think you would be able to wear them.

Oh and the superglue works to glue them on to the shoe. I stuck those side pieces on to my wear pair, wore them out and they are not coming off anytime soon - which might be a problem if I am to upgrade them.

Cavx and I have both found a car dye which is for vinyl and material, which works well (on some random things I tried) but the colour is too dark and being in a spray canister, cannot be mixed down to a lighter shade. We haven't been able to find one where you can choose the tint colour or we can mix our own. Have you ever seen one of those dyes in a liquid container? The closest in the right colour I could find was a textile paint. Perhaps the product is not available in Australia?

You seek Rubberbond: http://www.parasolinc.com/Products.asp?ProductID=RUBBERBOND

Jedifyfe has the real shoes. Maybe he can chime in here and point us in the right direction.

Not sure what I can tell you about the color other than it it very light grey, almost white.

Could we create a grey scale in paint to work out a close colour match? I would suggest simply posting a photo except everyone's monitors are not calibrated to the same level (colour temperature), so will look different. If we work in RGB levels in paint, at least we have a level playing field. Even though the image may look different on a computer monitor, when taken to professional print place, should be able to get close reference colour card.

Could we create a grey scale in paint to work out a close colour match? I would suggest simply posting a photo except everyone's monitors are not calibrated to the same level (colour temperature), so will look different. If we work in RGB levels in paint, at least we have a level playing field. Even though the image may look different on a computer monitor, when taken to professional print place, should be able to get close reference colour card.
It might be better to use CMYK rather than RGB as most print places tend to use the former.

[emoji106]

Last edited:
It might be better to use CYMK rather than RGB as most print places tend to use the former.

[emoji106]
Fair call. I only suggested RGB because I use Paint to create custom video test patterns. True white is RGB 255 (video white is RGB 235) and therefore a grey at say 80% true white is RGB 204. My thought process was just to get a close value of the grey we need.

The difference between video and print is the red, green and blue are tge primary colours for light where cyan, yellow and magenta are primaries for pigment. What does the K stand for in CYMK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back