Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more people doing these jackets the better for the community

Agreed.

I took another look at the one on eBay for about $62 and thought it was a bit tacky. The pockets are just a flap and the rest is printed onto the front panel is which is only textured vinyl anyway. And the cuffs and belt appear to be printed. Yet the thing has expanding sleeves. Makes you wonder why they bothered with all the other short cuts they took.

If someone can mould thin latex rubber over the light diffusers to get the diamond shape of the main part of the jacket and latex rubber for the sleeves this would be very screen accurate. The problem being how do you mould the bellows in the sleeves from latex? Even on markpoons jacket which is looking really good the sleeves are a PU leather with the leather pattern in it which takes away from the rest of the jacket

Agreed.

I took another look at the one on eBay for about $62 and thought it was a bit tacky. The pockets are just a flap and the rest is printed onto the front panel is which is only textured vinyl anyway. And the cuffs and belt appear to be printed. Yet the thing has expanding sleeves. Makes you wonder why they bothered with all the other short cuts they took.

It is a good base jacket though. Just paint the red textured vinyl with dark grey fabric spray paint and put on the red drawer liner myself and others have used for their DIY jackets. I would also put the fabric paint on the sleeves just to match. Then custom make the pockets, control boxes and straps on the arms, belt, and cuffs. It also needs to be shortened. The belt shouldnt go past the belt of your pants. If Mark's jacket is too expensive i might go that rout.

Last edited:
I have confirmation that my ankle buckles have arrived. I cant pick them up now though because the mail room at the barracks closes at 1:30.

Cool. Will you mod the straps to go through the slots? I didn't. I've removed them the you can see this on some of my shots.

I tried some tamiya fine surface primer without sealing it with acrylic uv sealer. It peels off if you scrape it with something sharp.

I'm going to see if it peels off after the acrylic sealer is on.

I'm trying to see though if i can find a paint which will stick better to the rubber soles, a bit of a mission but I will try.

airair, did you "prime" the rubber before painting with a metholated spirits or even acetone (becareful with that though)? I am sure I used metho to clean the splits in my soles before gluing and they have not broke since and I wear these heaps.

Cool. Will you mod the straps to go through the slots? I didn't. I've removed them the you can see this on some of my shots.

Probably. And i picked them up today. They look amazing, but seem a bit brittle. I might add a few thin layers of hot glue on the inside, lightly sand the outside with fine grit sandpaper, then prime, paint, and put matte finish over it.

Did you get standard finish or "polished"? My first set were standard, but the pair on my wear pair are polished and they are usable right out of the packet and there was only a few dollars more for the polished.

Update, replaced the 3/4 inch elastic with 1/2 inch, adding leather/ette on tongue as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396677424.199693.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1396677439.911723.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airair, did you "prime" the rubber before painting with a metholated spirits or even acetone (becareful with that though)? I am sure I used metho to clean the splits in my soles before gluing and they have not broke since and I wear these heaps.

Hi
no, i simply sprayed a few coats of the tamiya fine surface primer straight onto the grey soles and the heel.

i let them dry, and a few days later, i used a sharp knife and the paint just peels off. Even if i use my fingers, it will peel off.

Even if you put on a couple of coats, it still peels off easily. It seems this tamiya primer (supposed to be for plastic/metals) is not sticking to the rubber of the soles.

I tried another primer in grey which is all purpose, and that one peeled off too. None of these spray primers wan't to stick on it seems.

I will try the following options and see if they work:

1.) I will try the Valspar grey primer spray next since that is supposed to be latex based so it may stick better, but i'm not hopeful.
If its worked properly, the paint primer shouldn't really peel off very easily,especially with 2 or 3 coats.

2.) Anti Slip Paint with rubber granules texture- these are mostly Polyurethane paints I think, I want to see if this type of paint sticks better to the rubber.

3.) Use rubber cement adhesive mixed with an oil based paint, but not sure if this would be flexible enough.

4.) Pros Aide (prosthetic adhesive) mixed with Liquitex or standard acrylic paints. This is used for latex and mask painting, might try this to see if it sticks to the rubber soles. If it peels off easily, then it probably won't work.

Since i'm guessing the grey knockoff soles are made of polyurethane rubber or some type of similar casting rubber, i'm trying to figure out which paint and/or glue can be used together so that paint will not chip or come off.

On the Nike Mag heel lettering, it seems like they have used polyurethane pigment, similar to what Cloneprops did on his.
If you try to scratch the turquiose green or the white lettering, it doesn't want to come off, so ideally something like this is needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Update, replaced the 3/4 inch elastic with 1/2 inch, adding leather/ette on tongue as well.

View attachment 307431View attachment 307432

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great job, did you unstitch all the elastic out?

Also, do you know what type of glue you are going to use to glue the grey uppers back onto the shoe?

i'm trying to work out which glue would be best to glue uppers onto the grey soles.

Last edited:
Did you get standard finish or "polished"? My first set were standard, but the pair on my wear pair are polished and they are usable right out of the packet and there was only a few dollars more for the polished.

I got standard. Probably should have got polished though lol. I ordered all the materials to finish them up. I got white plastidip to give it more of a rubber feel. Along side the sandpaper, primer, and matte clear coat.

Last edited:
great job, did you unstitch all the elastic out?

Also, do you know what type of glue you are going to use to glue the grey uppers back onto the shoe?

i'm trying to work out which glue would be best to glue uppers onto the grey soles.

Thanks, yep removed the elastic out, had to go through the sides at the bottom, but it requires you to unstitch it. Right now i'm contemplating of using E-6000 and some loctite super glue gel on certain areas most specifically the side midsole inside part where the fabric and rubber meet. Still waiting for most of my parts to arrive though so I can't move forward as much as I want to.. I was going to leave the other one untouched for comparison but i might just start modding the other one to save time when everything arrives.

Thanks, yep removed the elastic out, had to go through the sides at the bottom, but it requires you to unstitch it. Right now i'm contemplating of using E-6000 and some loctite super glue gel on certain areas most specifically the side midsole inside part where the fabric and rubber meet. Still waiting for most of my parts to arrive though so I can't move forward as much as I want to.. I was going to leave the other one untouched for comparison but i might just start modding the other one to save time when everything arrives.

great work.

I think you said when you resprayed your soles grey that it didn't stick and peeled off?

I'm having the same issue.

If you manage to find a good solution to paint the soles feel free to share.

I tried the Tamiya primer, then a cheap all purpose primer and then some standard acrylic paints brushed on, but none of them stick to the soles.

One thing that does seem to work from a small area test on the sides of the grey soles, is some Humbrol Enamel paint in those tiny tins. I painted on a small area and after a few hours, if you scratch it hard with your fingers, it doesn't come off. I'm also flexing and twisting the grey soles to see if the paint breaks or cracks, and this one seems to be fine. 2 small tins of black and white and mixed to make a light grey might be a good option.
Its a bit glossy though, matt colours would be best. I'm going to try this one again and see if it holds up.

tamiyaprimer2_zps1bafeb89.jpg

Tamiya Primer sprayed on (i didn't use acetone before doing this)

reevesacrylic2_zps6998b39e.jpg

2 Layers of Reeves Acrylic paint brushed on (i didn't use acetone before doing this)

reevesacrylic1_zps60da34c1.jpg

2 Layers of Reeves Acrylic paint brushed on, then Rustoleum Crystal Clear matt spray. (i didn't use acetone before painting)
The Rustoleum spray seems to make the paint strip off!
no good! I'm guessing most solvent clear matt sprays are likely to make the paint weak. I might try something else.

humbrolenamel_zps21a00790.jpg

Humbrol enamel paint brushed on (i didn't use acetone before doing this). This takes time to dry but seems to stick onto the rubber very well.
Not sure how flexible it will stay though with a couple of coats.

I'm might try these 2 options also and see which is best

1.) angelus acrylic paint, then with acrylic finisher on top. (if you can scratch and scrape with fingers and nothing comes off, it should be ok)

2.) pros aide (prosthetic adhesive) with liquitex or any acrylic paint. This is supposed to stick well, not sure if it will stick strong enough to the grey soles.

Someone on youtube who makes rubber masks has used an exterior polyurethane paint called Impra Profilan Opac (originally meant for wood and other surfaces) and its supposed to stick very strongly to polyurethane castings.

Since i'm guessing these v2 grey soles are most likely polyurethane castings, I'm hoping some polyurethane paint might work in sticking to these grey soles, but i've read that these paints are toxic!

As long as the paint sticks and its not easily picked off using fingers or something sharp, then it will be a good solution.

I'm not sure what Jedifye used on his custom Black ones? Maybe he can help on what type of paint is suitable.

Hopefully, there is a good solution which is long lasting, isn't toxic and doesn't come off easily!

Last edited:
FANTASTIC the yellow sole is amazing
i have a lot of work on mine still

Hi
I think you said you used the angelus black sole restorer. After it dried, do you know if it chips of comes off easily? If you scratch it with your fingers?

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

did you paint them black using acrylic paint or something else? Was wondering if that paint chips or scuffs easily?

I haven't had any luck with the Tamiya primer, for some reason it doesn't want to stick to the rubber soles!

Unless i'm doing something wrong!

thanks

Instead of having the 9v battery permanently secured inside the sole and attached by wires, I found a piece of hardware to make the battery interchangable if you wish. There are pieces of metal sticking out so you can solder any wire to it.
9V Battery Holder Metal Clip | 140-982

You may have to bend the pieces so they dont poke you in the foot though. Im not sure how deep the sole part is.

Last edited:
Hi
I think you said you used the angelus black sole restorer. After it dried, do you know if it chips of comes off easily? If you scratch it with your fingers?

thanks

ahhh i did a little trick i completely removed all paint on sole with 100%acetone nail polish remover and i used walk on black paint from turtlefeathers im shure there other paints will do just as well from them its for shoe moders
and for answer noooo there amazing tried with fingers and a butter knife paint will not coming off super amazing 3 coats with air brush
and im sorry to see what happend bro i think there is some sort of glaze on sole and the 100% acetone took it off and made the pefect primer ,,i hope this helps and if you where these shoes like me DONT USE TAMIYA they make crap i am a rc car nut and most of there product is cheap poo but thats just me lmfao
hope this helps bro
ill be dun soon wit these blacks bin in class and moving uuuuugh
- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

did you paint them black using acrylic paint or something else? Was wondering if that paint chips or scuffs easily?

I haven't had any luck with the Tamiya primer, for some reason it doesn't want to stick to the rubber soles!

Unless i'm doing something wrong!

thanks
weeeeeeee

weeeeeeee

Thanks for the info, yes

That walk on black, you mentioned it before, it sounds like it does the job!

do you have a pic of the soles after you used the acetone?

How rough is the surface once you've used the acetone?

I wasn't sure whether acetone damages this rubber they've used for this shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back