Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, just stumbled onto this, and the work you guys are doing is absolutely dope.

So, I got home tonight and started searching for a guide to dissemble a pair of original Nike Mags. I was wearing mine tonight (only take them out a couple times a year) and a sorta well known rapper kept trying to get me to sell them to him and I wouldn't. He proceeded to "accidentally" spill champagne all of them, and im certain some electronics are shorted out... Pretty upset - I ****ing love these things!!!

With that, I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on how to disassemble these, or there's a guide you guys use to take apart the replicas? Figure it might as well be a good starting place.

Thanks guys!
In all honesty.... He wanted to buy them before, so he should be buying them now.
He ruined your ORIGINAL pair which were not cheap to buy. He should be footing the bill for them.

very nice

on one of the black pairs, did you paint over the gold swoosh? if so, which paint did you use?
or did you remove the swoosh and glue on another one?

thanks

No removed the original gold swoosh and got black leatherette for a new one and just glued it on.

flounder145 - sad to hear about your mags dude, if you can take photos or post a video of the problems your having then that would be of great help to find out if they can be saved. I wouldn't think about dismantling them straight away.

Last edited by a moderator:
No removed the original gold swoosh and got black leatherette for a new one and just glued it on.

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of what the shoe looked like without the swoosh on it, would you? I've always been curious how much if any residue would be left behind if someone wanted to pull off the Swoosh.

Even if you don't have pictures, a description would be awesome.

Great collection!

-Nick

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of what the shoe looked like without the swoosh on it, would you? I've always been curious how much if any residue would be left behind if someone wanted to pull off the Swoosh.

Even if you don't have pictures, a description would be awesome.

Great collection!

-Nick

Sure Nick-

http://i.imgur.com/jK6Qw1t.jpg

A lot of residue resides when the swoosh is off so it has to be covered, I matched the black leatherette perfectly to the shade used around the cuffs and strap so it all blended in nicely. I wish I could have left it blank Brad, less work.. Btw did you get the DC charger tutorial I emailed you? Didn't get a reply, I can resend or post on here if need be

Last edited:
if the fabric isn't too damaged and you are able to get them clean enough, i'm pretty sure you could dismantle them carefully, but you will need someone with electronic experience to look at the circuit Nike designed.

The 2011 originals have a custom designed PCB board probably, with custom lithium battery and custom wiring.

It will be totallly different to the way we are doing it with these replicas.

But i'm pretty sure you could repair your originals if you contact someone who can understand the pcb board which Nike have used.
if everything is behind that white ankle piece along with the charge pin, then may it be a case of unglueing it, and then working out what has shorted out.

the ankle bubble leds are protected and the sole EL panels are protected with the clear rubber.
So it could be something has damaged the PCB (which i assume is in the white ankle buckle where the charging pin is located).

I doubt the wiring could get damaged, since its tucked away inside the grey fabric somewhere.

I don't think anyone on the web has really dismantled a pair of the real 2011 shoes yet, but it would be interesting to see what they actually did in their design.

Cool. I have pretty good electronics experience, so I might be able to fix the problem myself, though have plenty of friends better at electronics if I can't. The only part I'm nervous about is removing the heel piece. Just lots of heat and really slow, I suppose?

I'll be sure to take some pictures for you guys if you're curious what the official Nike circuitry looks like

Cool. I have pretty good electronics experience, so I might be able to fix the problem myself, though have plenty of friends better at electronics if I can't. The only part I'm nervous about is removing the heel piece. Just lots of heat and really slow, I suppose?

I'll be sure to take some pictures for you guys if you're curious what the official Nike circuitry looks like

Holy crap, that would be epic!! I am uncertain about what type if glue they used but I would think its similar to the V2's. Use a heat gun and TAKE YOUR TIME! I would live to see how these were put together.

I plan on doing the toe mod soon. I have (2) questions:

1. How far do you separate the toe? Do I go as far as the green arrows?

NikeMagCut1_zps3037f211.jpg

2. When glueing the toe back, do I glue from one side to the other side (pic A)? Or do I start glueing from the middle and work my way outwards to both sides (pic B)?

NikeMagGlueingA_zps493bf55f.jpg

NikeMagGlueingB_zpseb6e5978.jpg

hi
yes, i would keep seperating the grey fabric until near the laces (or near enough on both sides).

As for glueing back, i've been doing it mostly as in picture A, but I don't think it should matter too much which way, just so long as you try and stretch the fabric as much as you can, because with that toecap piece glued in between the grey layers is what is providing the shape/stiffness to the toe end.

If you have any gaps after glueing back, i wouldn't worry, because you can fill those gaps by going over with either the Loctite plastic and vinyl adhesive or a shoe goo glue (you have to either use a small bottle with a thin needle end, or either a syringe where you can squeeze some liquid into)

I normally use shoe goo squeezed into a plastic syringe.

I plan on doing the toe mod soon. I have (2) questions:

1. How far do you separate the toe? Do I go as far as the green arrows?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/michaelcabrera/Nike Air Mag/NikeMagCut1_zps3037f211.jpg

2. When glueing the toe back, do I glue from one side to the other side (pic A)? Or do I start glueing from the middle and work my way outwards to both sides (pic B)?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/michaelcabrera/Nike Air Mag/NikeMagGlueingA_zps493bf55f.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/michaelcabrera/Nike Air Mag/NikeMagGlueingB_zpseb6e5978.jpg

Did you ever try ask Nike if they actually fix these shoes? You would think they would have some sort of warranty or correction service, since its such a small amount of limited edition shoes.

hi
yes, i would keep seperating the grey fabric until near the laces (or near enough on both sides).

As for glueing back, i've been doing it mostly as in picture A, but I don't think it should matter too much which way, just so long as you try and stretch the fabric as much as you can, because with that toecap piece glued in between the grey layers is what is providing the shape/stiffness to the toe end.

If you have any gaps after glueing back, i wouldn't worry, because you can fill those gaps by going over with either the Loctite plastic and vinyl adhesive or a shoe goo glue (you have to either use a small bottle with a thin needle end, or either a syringe where you can squeeze some liquid into)

I normally use shoe goo squeezed into a plastic syringe.

Thanks for the info! I was going to assume method A, but wanted to be sure. Super scared before I try this toe mod and want to make sure I'm clear on directions. lol

Have you or anyone used this type of syringe to apply glue? I am assuming the syringe tips are a one-time use deal and are not reusable?

SyringeBottle1_zps1bd24efe.jpg

those bottles could be used, but probably only with the Loctite plastic vinyl adhesive (which is thinner than shoe goo).

maybe jedifyfe can post up a picture of his bottle which he uses. i'm not sure how much thinner the Loctite is compared with shoe goo, maybe someone can post up a video comparing.

I'm using shoe goo using this method here using a syringe since I can't get the loctite plastic vinyl fabric adhesive in the UK:

Its usually a one time usage with these syringes or probably an extra use, if you can keep it airtight.

Shoe goo is quite thick and seems to come out of the tube in a big blog, so filling it into that plastic bottle in your picture above is simply not going to work.

The syringe method works though, because you are able to press and eject out the shoe goo.
I have found however, that the thin needle end can sometimes push off due to the pressure of the thick shoe goo trying to come out.

I even emailed Loctite asking them if they have a UK equivalent of that Loctite vinyl plastic adhesive and they are so useless, they didn't even respond back.

So i'm sticking to shoe goo with a syringe.

Thanks for the info! I was going to assume method A, but wanted to be sure. Super scared before I try this toe mod and want to make sure I'm clear on directions. lol

Have you or anyone used this type of syringe to apply glue? I am assuming the syringe tips are a one-time use deal and are not reusable?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/michaelcabrera/Nike Air Mag/SyringeBottle1_zps1bd24efe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sorry for the double post! I forgot to ask you some questions. :$

View attachment 249745View attachment 249746

What are the benefits and the disadvantages of 3Volts battery and 9Volts Battery ? Which method is better ?

When i opened the sole, i saw a long plastic strip ! I should remove it ?

And last question : How can i remove the wire of the USB CHARGER & Switch ? :eek

Best regards.

Anybody can't help me ? :cry

Anybody can't help me ? :cry

yes, remove those clear rectangular rubbery pieces and circular clear rubber pieces.

just cut off the USB charger and switch wire. You can pull it out and stretch it a bit and then just snip it off.

It doesn't matter if the cable stays in the grey fabric, its super glued between the grey fabrics so almost impossible to remove.

cut the wires or if you can pull them, just pull them out.

I want to get started on my own pair of MAGS can someone help me on which to buy to start with? I found two pairs but have no idea which to buy.
1. Free shipping by ems air mag glow in the dark back to the future mags limited edition shoes-in Men's Shoes from Shoes on Aliexpress.com

OR

2. Free shipping by ems air mag glow in the dark back to the future mags limited edition shoes EMS fast delivery-in Men's Shoes from Shoes on Aliexpress.com

I found "1" on the forum but the other one cough my eye. Which do you guys think? :unsure
Please help.

I think you should avoid the 2nd link given they are not even showing images of the shoes you will buy. If you are buying the traditional grey and white, you should NOT be paying more than $250USD either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back