What does your Workshop/Workspace look like?

As requested by Evilboy, here is my workspace ;) - older pics, it´s more crowded atm., but still the same workshop:

My main workplace for next to everything, from scratching and glueing modelkits to assembling props
Workbench002.jpg

this place is most of the time used as a kind of universal storage - parts, tools, blueprints, ....
Workbench003.jpg

Next the workplace for the more dirty stuff, as sawing and filing metal
Workbench004.jpg

Then the storage for parts and in-progress blasters/props
Workbench005.jpg

Here we have the paint area - look, paintsplotches :)
Workbench006.jpg

And last, the area where i do resincasting/moldmaking (as you can see by the smal area, only sometimes and only small stuff in open molds, usually greeblies for modelmaking), and flat sanding. The big 12mm security glass-slab is perfect for such work
Workbench007.jpg

And this is another small room in my basement - there you can see my smaller machines i mainly use for prop making. The lathe is a 11x28, these machines run on standard one-phase 230V:

Binocparts012.jpg

No idea what these mills are called in the US, but like the lathe it´s a typical chinese made one, sold in different colors by various different distributors ;) .

Workbench016.jpg

I bought this machines cause i was tired to ask friends of me that own metal working companies, and then wait (sometimes very long time) until they find time to do my stuff (i completely understand they first do the stuff that pays their bills, but i decided i don´t like to wait :lol ).

Not prop related, but i have another set of machines in my garage - no good pics of them, but this pic from some of them might give a idea:

Staumlhleschleifmaschine038_zps960978e6.jpg

They are old professional machines, most from the time between 1960 to 1980, running on 3-phased 380V.

Totally oversized for my needs - but as some like to restore old cars, i like to refit such old and trusty machines. :cool

Liking these photos:D

Coincidentally I'm ripping mines apart.
I've had a workshop in the basement for years , but mainly used it during DIY projects etc, and more recently for casting etc.

Latterly decided that it served me well and deserved a renovation.
to renovate the basement I decided to divide it up into 3 main areas
A utility/ laundry room
A fully shelved store area ( kept cool)
And an upgrade to the workshop area.
The whole area is about 5 metres x 5 metres of useable space after drywall lining and screeding etc

I've been working on it piecemeal but lately sourced out some units and work tops that were available from work, due to incorrect orders etc.

Should have it finished to a point where I'd be able to show some photos, but it's a bit of a building site just now.

Watch this space lol. :D

I LOVE that McQuarrie Concept Millenium Falcon model you are working on. I would LOVE to see more pics of that some time!

I´m sorry to say it, but it´s no McQuarrie Concept Millenium Falcon - it´s a Corellian Engineering freighter type YZ-775 - bigger than the CE YT-1300. ;)

I believe we call them.... "mills"...

--Alex

I know, but don´t you have special terms for the different types of mills?

"Mill" is called "Fräse" here, but there are still standalone mill, portal mills, table mounted mills .... for sure more than 10 better specialized terms for the various constructions than only using "mill" for all of them.

I know, but don´t you have special terms for the different types of mills?

"Mill" is called "Fräse" here, but there are still standalone mill, portal mills, table mounted mills .... for sure more than 10 better specialized terms for the various constructions than only using "mill" for all of them.

Oh, I see what you did there...

Sure, things can be specified more by size and location, just like you said, but, at least in my experience, a mill is a mill. I work now in a Dental lab and we have a milling machine that is technically a five-head gimble actuated mill, but we just call it "the mill" or perhaps "the milling machine." Several years ago I worked at a factory which machined aluminum parts for fuel manifolds for tractors and tanks, and those, too, were just collectively referred to as mills, but they were enormous contraptions which one had to crawl inside of to work on.* When I was in high school, our metal shop did not have a CNC mill, but did have a set-up where one could manually mill stuff using a milling attachment for the lathe.

So, yeah, you're right, there certainly are different kinds of mills to be had. Looks like what you have there is a regular bench-top mill.

Sorry for the confusion.

--Alex

______
(*I should know as I worked in facilities maintenance at the time... I have a funny story about one of them; one time I was in one of these machines, trying to unbolt something... the bolt was pretty huge... 1" head, but the space was too tight for a regular 1" wrench, so we took a wrench and cut it down so it was just four or five inches long and would fit in the space. I was wormed in there in a weird way to reach the bolt and there was a lot of lubricant everywhere in the machine. As I was pulling hard on the bolthead to try to get the thing to turn, my tiny wrench slipped off the bolthead and, because of my precarious position, I punched myself hard in the face. Nearly broke my glasses. I got out and bent my glasses back to shape and took a break, just laughing at the absurdity of the situation.)

Not for that, there was no real confusion just a misunderstanding. ;)

It´s just when you are also member in some hobby machinist communities, and it´s not uncommon that people have more than one machine of a type, most in different sizes, it´s easier to use the correct term. That´s what i´m used to, an that was the reason for my question. It´s like someone telling me "nice lathe you have", and me answering "which one?". :lol And I´m already on the hunt for a bigger old standalone mill, but not to big - something in the way of a Deckel FP1, or a Bridgeport. For the garage shop. Then the same problem will be there for the mills, too.

"Bench top mill" - sure, off course, silly me. :facepalm

Cool.

As for distinguishing between different ones, I just remembered that at the job with the real big aluminum mills, we would distinguish them by their country of origin, (i.e. the Korean Mill, or the German mill, et cetera). The reason being that it turns out American, British, European, and Korean manufacturers all used different kinds of screws in their machines. I recall it was always a big deal to use the correct thread screws on each different machine or you would cross-thread stuff and start cussing a lot. We had a whole room of nothing but bins of different kinds of screws... it was crazy.

--Alex

Amazed at how clean some of these workspaces are. If I did a better job of keeping organized, I'd have more space to work with. How do you keep dust levels low? Have problems with dust collecting while clear coat dries, for example.

Finally took my thumb out my ass and started to rebuild my man cave . Ever since i moved from my parents and into a apartment i have used a old kitchen table to do my build on... and it has always been messy...
workbench.jpg

I also have filled a couple of closets with my supply's and tools.

So a few days ago i bought myself a large bookshelf at a secondhand store (90x200 cm)
I wanted to be able to move the supply boxes out from the closets, and with the shelfs help I could fit a lot of them.
dsc03773l.jpg

And on the other side....
dsc03774jv.jpg

My worktable!!! On the backside of the bookshelf I attached 2 pegboards and hung up all my tools.
It looks so neat and clean now :)
dsc03777l.jpg

Still have a few things to do but it's mostly finished.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back