My Not-So-Screen-Accurate Marty McFly Halloween Costume

CB2001

Master Member
Before I begin, I want to say that this is not meant to be a screen-accurate costume. Basically, it was for a Halloween costume for an 80s themed Halloween party my classmates and I were having. I opted to go with Marty McFly from Back to the Future. And I also know that the Hoverboard is from Part 2 (which is also not screen accurate), which Marty is never seen with his complete outfit from Part 1 holding. I did the Hoverboard because its the next iconic vehicle next to the DeLorean. So, using what I had and a small number of items I had to buy, here is the costume.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Missing the sneakers and u would of been good enough ( the Nike mag that is)but very cool anyways

Thanks. :D

Honestly, this was thrown together with what I had available to me. In fact, I did try to find vintage Nikes at Goodwill, but all they had were the more recent styles (nothing that looked like it could remotely be the 1980s). I did toy around with the idea of making some Nike Mags (which has been discussed over in the Prop Replica portion of the forums), but the problem was that the decision on what the theme was made on Friday of last week, so that gave me very little time to do something like the Mags. Honestly, I would have been happy with the same style of Nike as Marty wears in Part 1.

But, I think I did very well, considering what I had (I did sort of cheat, as I was wearing and old pair of New Balance, not a pair of Nikes).

Doesnt matter still very nice,what board is that?

It's foamcore board. I constructed it in a period of two days, using this tutorial from Indy Mogul's Backyard FX. In fact, when it came to the bottom, I had to short-cut a few things to save some time, and I realized I cut the back portion a little too long, leading to the foot pad to be put over the "board" part of "Hoverboard."

In fact, if I ever do another Hoverboard, I pretty much learned a lot from my mistakes to make sure I'd not make them again (in fact, I'd probably would go with pink styrofoam from Home Depot or something like that, as it's difficult to cut through three layers of foamcore board glued on top of each other with an Xacto knife, even more so difficult to cut a semi-circular curve).

Last edited:
Great build! It's awesome! Since you mentioned BFX, you sorta look like Zack!

Yeah, the build episode was pretty good. It's good enough to use if you're doing a low-budget short, but with some slight modifications to the build, you could probably make a pretty decent replica for display purposes. :)

I don't think I look like Zack (except in the middle abdomen area, because I've got a bit of a gut on me). :lol

Sorry to bring up an old thread but does anyone have the pictures for the hover board?

I can't seem to get them...
Also can Cb2001 can I get an up close shot of the bottom of your board?

Thanks a lot

Why are you wearing a life perserver? :)

Not bad at all considering the time you had. It is easily recognizable as McFly, so I think you accomplished your goal. Well done!

Sorry to bring up an old thread but does anyone have the pictures for the hover board?

I can't seem to get them...
Also can Cb2001 can I get an up close shot of the bottom of your board?

Thanks a lot

There's actually a topic about the upcoming Mattel Hoverboard replica that is being released by Mattel. Though its more about the problems with the replica that Mattel is planning to release, I know there's a few posts that include screencaps from BTTF2, some of them really good pictures of the Mattel Hoverboards used and seen in the film. You can find it here.

As for the bottom of the board, it's not 100% accurate. In fact, due to time running out on me, I used two lids from a couple of Winn-Dixie Potato Salad containers (you can find them in the deli isle, normally near the sea food or meat departments), a long piece of foamcore board painted black and one small rectangular piece I painted purple. Basically, since I was running out of time, I did a quick and "dirty" bottom to make it look like it was a Hoverboard bottom, but not the one seen in the film. Honestly, if I redid the board, I'd try to be as more screen accurate as possible. But, if you still want i can post a picture, but don't expect accuracy.

Why are you wearing a life perserver? :)

Not bad at all considering the time you had. It is easily recognizable as McFly, so I think you accomplished your goal. Well done!

First off, LOL! :lol

Thanks. :D

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back