Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I never thought of the wings on an X-wing being for lift when in an atmosphere. The Falcon didn't need lift from wings when leaving Mos Eisley, so there must be some other technology at work. The same technology that makes Luke's speeder hover on Tatooine, the Snowspeeders fly on Hoth, and the Speederbikes on Endor.

Agreed, clearly most, if not all atmospheric capable craft in the Star Wars universe use some sort of repulsorlift technology to allow them to fly within an atmosphere because nothing shown so far look like they good generate enough lift to fly like they do. Sure the X-Wing has wings but they're not airfoils in shape but flat slabs which are hardly conducive to generating any appreciable amount of lift, for that matter the Falcon and snowspeeders aren't exactly aerodynamic lifting bodies themselves either so unless the laws of physics work completely differently in the Star Wars universe then they must be using something besides aerodynamics to generate lift.

At least the snow speeders had the air flaps to bank and slow down, so their repulsor tech can't do it all.

Last edited:

Agreed, clearly most, if not all atmospheric capable craft in the Star Wars universe use some sort of repulsorlift technology to allow them to fly within an atmosphere because nothing shown so far look like they good generate enough lift to fly like they do. Sure the X-Wing has wings but they're not airfoils in shape but flat slabs which are hardly conducive to generating any appreciable amount of lift, for that matter the Falcon and snowspeeders aren't exactly aerodynamic lifting bodies themselves either so unless the laws of physics work completely differently in the Star Wars universe then they must be using something besides aerodynamics to generate lift.

Sorry but flat surfaces generate lift or a paper airplane wouldn't fly.

Sorry but flat surfaces generate lift or a paper airplane wouldn't fly.

Different principles are operating with paper airplanes than normal aircraft, it's more air resistance than anything.If a flat surface was sufficient to produce lift then airplanes would all have perfectly flat wings and the rotors on helos would be perfectly flat too. Lift is created when the air above a surface, like wings, are moving faster than below which is why airfoils are flat on the bottom and rounded on top.

If we're excited now, what are we going to be like when the first Teaser is released????

Never mind Teaser, the first pic of a costumed Luke or Han and my mind will be blown!

Rich

I give it one page, max, before someone claims it's going to ruin their childhood :)

There was a time when the entirety of the RPF WAS the Star Wars section...

We may see it again...

I will kiss JJ's feet if and when I meet him if he really succeeds on the level Kevin Smith thinks he will...

Kiss the mans feet...

With lens flare!!!

I can't believe we are having this conversation.

Maybe our "D's" being kicked in the dirt by the PT is what we needed to accept and appreciate these sequels.

My childhood got raped deep and proper.

I can accept less than "PERFECT" now...

As we all should...

Now...

Let's all agree to be spoiler free and stop reading this thread...

Any new pics??? LOL!!!

I give it one page, max, before someone claims it's going to ruin their childhood :)

If it got discussed, apologies for missing it - Badass Digest has what may be a small plot element. Naturally, spoilers:

http://badassdigest.com/2014/07/20/exclusive-star-wars-episode-vii-plot-details-revealed/

I know science has no real place in space opera (walking around in an unpressurized space slug's stomach...) but I can think of a number of reasons that the above idea seems problematic...

This was discussed, and torn apart, a couple pages ago.

I refuse to believe anything from badassdigest at this point.

At least the snow speeders had the air flaps to bank and slow down, so their repulsor tech can't do it all.

If what I read about how the replusorlift's work it's basically like how when you get two magnets and aim them the right way and they push away from each other,now do that on a craft and then switch a jet engine on that's hooked up to it:it's like flying without being aerodynamic.

I'd imagine it's be a bit like flying an aircraft in some ways.

I have a shred of Hope that JJ Abrams will stop by and reveal a surprise photo of something from the film.

Nah won't happen... :(

I have a shred of Hope that JJ Abrams will stop by and reveal a surprise photo of something from the film.

Nah won't happen... :(

Do you mean "stop by" as in the rpf? I don't know about that, but he has revealed a few surprises already, and I'd say some really nice ones. :)

No, San Diego Comicon.

And yes, He has been really good at keeping people updated and leaving everyone starving just long enough before teasing a new tidbit. He's really good at this. HAHA!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back